What format do you use in your personal letters? What do you include? Ideas? Tips?

kealani

Format, length? what's included, style, etc:

I try my best to make each letter a personal experience for the reader by trying to reciprocate their level of sharing and "engagement" (IE: responding an 8 page personalized letter with a 100 word "great weather" missive seems poor).

I also almost always include various photographs (I am a photographer) and inserts from things of shared interest that I might find or compose myself on various subjects.

As far as format, Palmer Business Script with a favorite fountain pen, or. . . a vintage typewriter if my hands and fingers (arthritis) make my handwriting hard to read.

For example: I might have 1 page or a partial with my "best effort" at script, then mixed interesting type fonts after that to make it interesting.

Your Turn:

What format do you use for personal letters? (style, feel, content, etc)

What do you include or enclose with your letters?

Any ideas and tips?

Thanks for sharing.

Aloha.

http://111-A7083-5-E20-4335-8375-EFEA289-AF2-DF

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kealani

• TSherbs

• BHuij

• David0966

I keep an A4 pad and an A5 pad of nice paper handy. Nothing terrifically fancy, just completely blank white Rhodia (although I'm about to try Clairfontaine Triomphe and if I like it, I might standardize around that instead). The A5 is perfect for short letters. The A4 is good for longer letters, or shorter letters if I feel like using a broad or stub nib that necessitates using larger handwriting. I have a guide under the page to keep my lines straight.

I always put the date at the top, and then just write.

But I also love to enclose photographs. Just like with writing letters, I find I never have enough excuses to get in my darkroom and make prints from my film photos. I like to think that my recipients can appreciate, at least on some level, the novelty of a handmade print in much the same way as they hopefully appreciate the novelty of a handwritten letter.

I wax seal any envelope that has a handwritten letter and/or photograph in it.

I guess my goal, aside from just enjoying the process of writing, is to pass just a little bit of happy feelings along. Knowing that someone took the time to think about you, write to you by hand, take interest in your life, maybe even curate a small gift or piece of art they thought you might enjoy... that imparts a type of warmth I think is sorely lacking in this world.

1. Handwritten on plain paper, usually A5. I typically use 3-4 different pens and inks.

2. No enclosures (just writing)

3. Do whatever you like.

22 hours ago, BHuij said:

I keep an A4 pad and an A5 pad of nice paper handy. Nothing terrifically fancy, just completely blank white Rhodia (although I'm about to try Clairfontaine Triomphe and if I like it, I might standardize around that instead). The A5 is perfect for short letters. The A4 is good for longer letters, or shorter letters if I feel like using a broad or stub nib that necessitates using larger handwriting. I have a guide under the page to keep my lines straight.

But I also love to enclose photographs. Just like with writing letters, I find I never have enough excuses to get in my darkroom and make prints from my film photos. I like to think that my recipients can appreciate, at least on some level, the novelty of a handmade print in much the same way as they hopefully appreciate the novelty of a handwritten letter.

I guess my goal, aside from just enjoying the process of writing, is to pass just a little bit of happy feelings along. Knowing that someone took the time to think about you, write to you by hand, take interest in your life, maybe even curate a small gift or piece of art they thought you might enjoy... that imparts a type of warmth I think is sorely lacking in this world.

Very thoughtful and considerate. . and fun!

Thanks for sharing what you do and ideas for others.

k

Everyone is unique in these and all things. Sharing is great!.

• 5 months later...

I use blank A4 Rhodia (5mm guidesheet underneath) to write my wife's aunt.  There is not much occasion for me to practice my handwriting, so I write to Brenda.   She has not written me back, and I'm not asking, or expecting, etc.  This is very relaxing for me-to write to a kind, loving well-known family member, who knows me pretty well.  I could easily call her and talk-no need (I am all talked out after work).

I used to put all in one envelope and figure out the postage (Atlanta to Charlotte NC)-but that was delaying the letters.  Now I put 4 sheets in a #10 envelope, one regular stamp, usually about 3 go out Monday AM.  She likes stories, so-now I am writing her fiction about a fellow  in the court of Louis the Pious (immediately after Charlemagne-whose dream was for all to be literate, etc). Early 9th century; plenty of medieval action, witches, all sorts of stuff.  They now have a caravan headed to eastern europe in search of pigments-they are going to run into gilded objects, as we detour into that area this weekend.  It is relaxing to me, and more fun than writing psychotherapeutic notes in a journal (for me).

On 3/14/2023 at 11:19 AM, BHuij said:

This is very special and thoughtful, and cathartic to both you and your reader.  If course, we can always "do whatever we want to" which is interesting either as a position or identity or so forth, but to keep in mind "how our letters are received" is empathetic and special.

Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful missive.

k