Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

Difference between Eversharp "Flexible" and "Signature" Nib?

Mr_PFM

I tested a Signature nib once and found it to be pleasantly flexible. 

Are the nibs that say "Flexible" on them softer or firmer than the Signature ones? I can't seem to find a post that compares them.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr_PFM

• LoveBigPensAndCannotLie

• Silvicolus

• SCPirate

I'm certainly no expert on it, but I believe nibs labeled signature fall between the WE Manifold and Flexible nibs. You can get pleasant line variation (as opposed to the manifold) but flexing typically isn't as easy and requires more pressure than the nibs labeled Flexible. This is going off of the writing samples and descriptions of the nibs that I've seen online as I haven't yet had the chance to try them myself. Someone more familiar feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Hope it helps.
-Kat

The nib in my avatar is an Esterbrook 9284 "Signature Stub" and it is not flexible at all. It is the smoothest nib I've ever encountered though.

I just restored an early Wahl pen with one of the "signature" nibs and it's what I would consider semi-flex. I would think that the ones marked "flexible" should be softer.

One of my Decobands has a "Signature" nib. It's a wider stubby nib(maybe about a modern medium) without some bounce but not a huge amount of flex. It's a very pleasant pen to write with.

I have another tiny little Signature nib on an All-Metal sterling ring top. That one is off now for a sac(apparently the sections like form to the cap threads of the barrel and I did not trust myself to remove it) but dipped it performed very similarly to the big brother Signature I have.

I have two marked "Flexible" Wahl nibs-don't ask me the models(one's a long skinny rosewood ebonite pen, the other a short tulip clip celluloid jade) with I think both #2 sized nibs. They are both decently soft and are probably in the XF-BB range or so(give or take). One of them is very useable as an every day nib, while the other is both soft and fine enough that it needs some care to not be miserable to write with(but I think it could be beautiful in hands more capable than mine).

I've seen references here in there from folks I'd trust claiming that some "Flexible" nibs can be on par if not softer than some Waterman Pink nibs. That's quite high praise given how nutty folks go now over Pink nibs, although they seem to have quite a bit of variation in flexibility too.