Ranga Model 3 (with custom hourglass grip section)

ViK

I’ll start with a disclaimer that this isn’t a review. There are a plenty of reviews of the Ranga Model 3 and when they say that it’s amazing, it’s always true. In fact, one doesn’t need a review of any Ranga pen as they are known to deliver the best a writing instrument has to offer. What this is, is an appreciation letter, a pouring out one’s heart, if you will.

From the first time that I held an ebonite pen, I knew it spelled trouble. It does feel warm to touch! (Word of advice is to not say this to any of your pen-muggle friends, as they’ll cast you as a someone who’s compensating for lack of human touch.) Indians my age are unlucky to have grown up with cheap plastic fountain pens, dare I say Chinese, OR heavy metal pens which feel premium only in terms of its weight; and never have experienced an ebonite pen. How lucky would I have to be, to be able to easily get my hands on spectacular ebonite pens turned by extremely skilled artisans, when there are only handful of such artisans in existence in the world today. By ease, I mean accessibility and affordability. Someone who hasn’t bought a Ranga might feel that it is expensive or not easily accessible. I also once had the same misconception. As an introvert, I avoid talking like the plague. But your fears will be allayed once you interact with Mr. M P Kandan; he’ll resolve all your doubts and you’ll soon realise that this aspect is vital for the entire operation.

I tried to dip my toe in the pool of many unique designs Ranga pens had to offer by purchasing their Model 4CS. It took the detailed and compelling video from Doug Rathbun (InkquiringMinds) whose persuasion provided me with the threshold encouragement to contact Mr. Kandan on WhatsApp. I was thoroughly impressed by the pen, its feel in my hand, its finish, the detailing of the threads which are crisp and I’ll elaborate on its importance later. Anyway I was so smitten by my 4CS that when Ranga came out with a group buy for Model 4C, I immediately pounced on the opportunity and purchased that one too, this time with Jowo nib. I found ordering on the Google doc form easier and convenient. Both 4CS and 4C have a seamless rounded cylindrical design which is interesting, unique and attractive. It is futuristic and I’ve caught myself admiring them for hours.

Like any one getting onboard the ebonite wagon, I too started with ASA, Gama and Click before reaching Ranga. For those on the wagon, the rubber like smell of ebonite is almost a fragrance compared to the horrific odour of the Indian plastic. Don’t get me wrong they are all excellent pens, and it may be just me, but I feel a marked difference when I hold a Ranga. All my other pens dry out or have some issue with the threading, not the Ranga despite it’s one turn execution.

So anyway several pens later, I found myself awaiting a Model 3 group buy mainly for a Ranga reminiscent of a classic Duofold design. Alas all my pens had a lip of some sort at the grip section. This December 2022 when Mr. Kandan came out with a group buy for Model 3, I requested him for a grip section without a lip at the end. Mind you, I’d have purchased the Model 3 either way. But Mr. Kandan wrote back to me saying that he’ll make me a custom Model 3 with an hour glass section. This wouldn’t have been possible without a cordial two way communication and interaction between us and believe me I haven’t had such experience with any other pen manufacturer / retailer.

Oh boy was I thrilled. I was exhilarated by the time I got the pen in my hand. It fits perfectly in my hands. Fountain pen enthusiasts are always looking out for a grail pen, but I think that they are looking for that ONE PEN to rule them all. And this is it folks, what people mean by Goldilocks fit, at least for me. The pictures don’t do justice to it - polished black looks very premium, but perhaps my camera isn’t able to capture its complete majesty. 

Please support Mr. Kandan and share my experience on other social media platforms, since I’m not on any. Hope everyone has a happy and colourful year.

PS: I got a Ranga nib this time around and was pleasantly surprised that it has standard threading of a Jowo #6 nib unit. I didn’t know of it beforehand. So for anyone who’s baffled by the choices offered, this may be of some help.

IMG_0288.jpeg

IMG_0290.jpeg

IMG_0292.jpeg

IMG_0294.jpeg

Edited by ViK
Grammatical mistakes

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ViK

• K Singh

• ignord

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

great pictures, and that custom hourglass section looks quite comfortable, congratulations on your acquisitions. one question, the nib on the 4CS looks interesting, is it a flex?

Thanks. 

Yes. It is a Magna Carta flex nib which came with an ebonite feed. Available in Jowo and bock nib unit threading on thepenworld.com