Question about Onoto plunger filler (for example, 6235 and 6233)

Paul-in-SF

These are both fairly recent acquisitions, and I'm not completely sure how they are supposed to function. The Onoto plunger filler seems to me a lot like the Pilot Custom 823, and it seems pretty effective at drawing up lots of ink. But both pens keep running dry while I'm trying to write with them. Am I supposed to keep the knob unscrewed all the time, or all the time when writing, or is there some other method? Thanks for sharing your experience with this filling system. 

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• donnweinberg

• Paul-in-SF

• andyr7

• Inkyways

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The knob needs to be slightly loosened when writing,  but tightened closed when carrying. Tightening the screw completely activates the shut-off valve to prevent leakage.

2 hours ago, andyr7 said:

Tightening the screw completely activates the shut-off valve to prevent leakage.

Okay, that's fine (and thank you). The nib tends to dry out at least a little between writing sessions, do I have to loosen the knob some period of time before I start writing? Alternatively, if the pen is just laying horizontal between writing sessions, can I just leave it loosened so it (hopefully) doesn't dry out and can start writing immediately?

You should really get advice from a vintage Onoto user for that. I only have a modern Onoto plunger filler, though that uses exactly the same system as the vintage pens it may be less fussy in day to day use. Perhaps you should just experiment with your pens to find out how they best suit your normal usage.

Yes, both of these pens are new to me, so I will have to do some trial and error. 

Paging users of vintage Onoto's (for their experience and advice) ... 

On 1/8/2023 at 1:08 PM, andyr7 said:

The knob needs to be slightly loosened when writing,  but tightened closed when carrying. Tightening the screw completely activates the shut-off valve to prevent leakage.

Sounds a bit like an Opus 88!

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

The Visconti Opera that I recently got has a filler that works like that, only if the knob is unscrewed even a little the ink seems to gush out, so I can't leave it that way while writing, I have to barely loosen it for a few seconds every so often and tighten it back up again. It was suggested to me that I need to use a drier ink. I haven't tried that yet. 

welcome to vintage onoto!  i'm afraid it is the nature of the pen to need the filler knob to be turned to 'tune' ink flow.  part of the problem is the design - the conical ink stop is very efficient and is coupled with a feed that restricts ink flow quite a bit.  use a fairly standard ink like waterman serenity blue to get the hang of things - in my magna, i would leave around a 2mm gap between the knob and top of the barrel.  this gap may of course be different with your pens.

• 1 year later...

I just purchased and received the new Onoto Magna Pi fountain pen with what Onoto calls its "plunger filler."  It's not like what is described above -- an internal mechanism.  It is a fancy, somewhat larger removable convertor that uses a vacuum plunger to draw in ink to the convertor.  Onoto charges $349 for this "system"!!!  Maybe I failed to do my homework, but I was expecting the fixed internal plunger system like, for example, many Visconti fountain pens have (aside from the latter's storage section).  When did Onoto change the plunger filler from a traditional internal mechanism to this convertor type?  I haven't tried it yet.

Onoto is a different company now than the one that made the vintage pens, which went out of business in 1958. So I wouldn't look for many similarities, especially in the (somewhat esoteric, in the vintage pens) filling systems. 

Modern revivals of vintage companies often move onwards but rarely upwards. If there is a cheaper way of doing things, they will generally employ it.

My 'modern' Onoto plunge filler demonstrator dates back to the time Alastair Adams was with the 'new' Onoto company when it was totally British, a good few years ago now. That  pen is indeed a thing of beauty, with a traditional (fixed) Onoto filler made in modern materials. There  have been further changes in control of the company since then.

I hear you, but, wow, that $349 price for this newer "plunger filler," which should have been called a "plunger convertor."

I obtained an explanation from Onoto's Feng about the two types of plunger filler.  The internal, built-in one was from an earlier period.  Onoto determined that it would be better to move to the one I have now, which is a removable one.  It is interchangeable with other Onotos that use a typical C/C, provided that the others do NOT have the "extra-weight" option in which a brass sleeve is inserted permanently into the barrel and thereby takes up more space than the plunger-filler (larger than the typical convertor) can fill.  The other two Onotos I received have the "extra-weight" option (which I chose), so I cannot move the plunger-filler to them.

I tried out the Magna Rossa FP last night.  It has an 18K broad nib and uses a C/C filling system.  I filled it with Private Reserve Burgundy Mist ink.  The pen wrote immediately and is a joy with which to write.

• 3 weeks later...

I purchased on Ebay an older Onoto plunger-fill fountain pen.  It's on its way, and I'm looking forward to having a go with it.  As I recall, the pen was made in the 1930's.  I'll report back.

I received, filled, and wrote with the circa-1938 Onoto plunger-fill FP I mentioned just above.  Here are two photos I took:

1938PlungerFiller-capped.thumb.jpeg.5237a86c900ebbc64d4f8a29c692c455.jpeg

1938PlungerFiller-uncapped.thumb.jpeg.3fe85efcb4b5fb7901000e47b83582bb.jpeg

What a nice old pen.  The plunger works effortlessly and draws in ink easily.  The gold nib's tip appears to be either a broad or a small stub, and it writes beautifully with decent flex/springiness.  A real pleasure.  As mentioned by others about these pens, I've had to unscrew (not pull out) the plunger a little to get the flow going at certain points, but that's not a problem.  I now see why so many folks like the old Onotos.

• 2 weeks later...

I have few Onoto Pens. They are marvellous  writers. Last week I bought two Onoto pens which need repair and fixing the Plunger. It is just like the First above pen. and the second one is a lever self filler. 

About onto plungers , they need to open  the plunger safe filling valve while you write for continues ink flow. If not it writes for a certain time up to the ink filling it got and stops at the end. The valve opens and close when you turn the plunger rod up and down.

When you close  by turning the nob in the barrel the plunger rod  moves up to the section of tip of capillary feed to seal.   it was an old function  that had in many Piston plunger pens like Onoto da la rue " THE Pen " Ex. I love the Nibs of all Onoto pens . Great writers.

This is the link to  my few years older thread of old  ONOTO pen collection. But  now it is slightly changed as  a little more  Pens being  added to that so it needs some upgrade.  Need to do a new family photo.