Büroservice Bergmann Rotfliessende Eisengallustinte (Red flowing Iron gall)

yazeh

My original review was deleted thanks to the server problem. So, I'm reposting it. 

Another great ink for Iron gall ink lovers. The name is quite a mouthful.
Thanks to @christof for introducing them to me. 
They are made in Germany and exclusively sold from this site, by the maker, Thomas Bergmann. 
https://www.kalligraphie-shop.com/ep...roducts/32000T
They come in 2 colours: red and blue. Both inks are water resistant. The blue one is slightly more. 
The price, plus shipping to Canada for two bottles was 16€. That's 8€ a bottle. 

The bottles look a lot like De Atramentis', bur smaller. 
As you can see the labels are very elegant, though not very clear.
I can discern:
the name: Büroservice Bergmann
Iron gall ink
30 ml/ 1 fl oz. 

large.E5FBE054-D949-49D5-B638-B79DA7951F8C_1_201_a.jpeg.eb1345deceb0f3aac4e17cd658b50157.jpeg

I hope some of our German speaking members can translate the surrounding text:
Note the beautiful red dye: 
large.587847152_IGRED-1.jpeg.2602a70ee9d32b1aee12b9dd9c97f524.jpeg
Now about the red IG ink. It's a wet ink, slightly dry, i.e, it's not lubricated like Doyou wink.png
Chroma:
large.1828925909_Chroma1.jpeg.362b455234b1c4dd81919074a3ce4ca5.jpeg
The ink write a bright red, which in time darkens in a gorgeous dark burgundy
large.2AEEEED2-C596-41EC-AA95-84F12F93C289.jpeg.db1c9c00703c4db6544e2c071d02006e.jpeg
Writing samples 
Tomoe River 68 gr: (Fine/ Flex/Medium/ Fude/ Broad)

large.287939822_IGRED-TR68gr4.jpeg.e03fb760dae3494cdccc999f565159b2.jpeg
Midori
large.1036968105_IGRED-Midori1.jpeg.cbce3b667a13f53f19fd5f9edeb28387.jpeg
Rhodia:
large.663619168_IGRED-Rhodia2.jpeg.4ee31b529c57db4ed2970193a46f3b60.jpeg
Apica:
large.1120049458_IGRED-Apica3.jpeg.b542704bd7d69dd15f3d019dfb6e4586.jpeg
This is by no means waterproof but it is quite water resistant, depending paper, how long the text has been written:

Mnemosyne paper: (immediately after drying)
large.Watertest.jpeg.9a1d4910f7a037d8205large.1086503675_Watertest-Before-2days.jpeg.de1479cebf1f20fc524aab4a58333cca.jpeg
Waiting after two days: (before /after)
large.702483182_Watertest-Aftere-2days2.jpeg.48b6893eb282bf1c28057d806b215772.jpeg
Very absorbent cheap paper: 2 days after - Not so good
large.1910228922_Watertest-Before-2days3.jpeg.6993f49d0620c25ada9432bca2be333a.jpeg

enveloppe better ;)

large.1150245742_Watertest-enveloppe.jpeg.b1b75a9b4839fe82bbba28a5f219558b.jpeg

I have no ink close to this ink, while the Kala looks similar in the scan, it's more of a purple/brown, while BN is Dark burgundy wink.png
large.1523524167_IGRed-Comparison.jpeg.99396418c9b2fd27af0985bdf8dffe84.jpeg
and finally, I'll leave you with an artwork, I did part of Inktober. 
The top background is the IG blue which has turned black, the middle is the IG red and the bottom is Gutenberg Urkundentinten G10. 
The paper is a Canson watercolour paper. 
graffiti___dream___star_by_yazeh1_dfkfkx

· Pens used: : Noodler’s Ahab /Jinhao 450 Medium & Fude / Lamy Safari Broad
· Shading: Lovely
· Ghosting: On thin/cheap  paper, maybe
· Bleed through: I doubt it. 
· Flow Rate: Wet
· Lubrication: Quite good for an IG
· Nib Dry-out: No.
· Start-up: Not noticed. But it could be a bit sluggish with dry pens like Safari. It would be best in a well sealed pen. 
· Saturation: Nicely saturated… 
· Shading Potential: Really good.  
· Sheen: None
· Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: Not noticed
· Nib Creep / “Crud”: No
· Staining (pen): No,
· Clogging: Nope. 
· Water resistance: Good. The red component washes away depending paper and time. See images.
· Availability: 1 oz/ 30 ml bottle

Comments appreciated....

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• yazeh

• Lithium466

• lapis

• inkstainedruth

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the re-posting. I first loved this ink when I saw your review. I still do but maybe I in the meantime prefer the blue even more. Sooo.... no reason not to get both. I'll try and think up what I first wrote in the original posting here. Unfortunately I didn't copy that text. Only the URL, which now leads to something practically perverse.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

17 minutes ago, lapis said:

Thanks for the re-posting.

Most welcome!

I first loved this ink when I saw your review. I still do but maybe I in the meantime prefer the blue even more. Sooo.... no reason not to get both.

For the price it's really cheap IMHO. It's worth having both. 

I'll try and think up what I first wrote in the original posting here. Unfortunately I didn't copy that text. Only the URL, which now leads to something practically perverse.

We can't win it all ;)

Thanks for the reposted review (I obviously didn't see it the first time around, due to the server issues and the site being down.

Not as enamored of the color on this one, but noticed that in the image of the quotes, the shading on "signature" for the Henri Poincaré quote reminded me a lot of my bottle of Noodler's 1984 (I forget which version it is, but it's labeled on the bottle).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thank you @yazeh for re-posting this review :thumbup:

I like the look of this ink once it has dried/cured - it reminds me of Rohrer & Klingner Scabiosa, but a version of it that has been ‘turned up to 11’.

Also, the idea of it being bright red as it goes on to the page and then curing to that final dark-burgundy/brown/black pleases me greatly too. Pleasingly ‘bloody’ 😁

Could this be the ideal ink with which to write angry notes to one’s colleagues? 😉

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

5 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

Thanks for the reposted review (I obviously didn't see it the first time around, due to the server issues and the site being down.

Most welcome 🙏

5 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

Not as enamored of the color on this one, but noticed that in the image of the quotes, the shading on "signature" for the Henri Poincaré quote reminded me a lot of my bottle of Noodler's 1984 (I forget which version it is, but it's labeled on the bottle).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Yes. I'm sure there are many inks in this shade, especially Noodler's :)

3 hours ago, LizEF said:

Thanks for bringing it back, @yazeh.  We need that fun drawing of armadillos & owl. :D

Indeed don't we, and a few Sneks and Sphinx and Silkworms :)

3 hours ago, Mercian said:

Thank you @yazeh for re-posting this review :thumbup:

🙏

I like the look of this ink once it has dried/cured - it reminds me of Rohrer & Klingner Scabiosa, but a version of it that has been ‘turned up to 11’.

Yes it reminded me of Scabies also. 

Also, the idea of it being bright red as it goes on to the page and then curing to that final dark-burgundy/brown/black pleases me greatly too. Pleasingly ‘bloody’ 😁

I prefer a deep, rich wine :)

Could this be the ideal ink with which to write angry notes to one’s colleagues? 😉

It really depends. I would associate a bright red with anger. This is almost soothing. Unless you pour a glass of water on your letter before sending it :)

This looks fantastic! The price is cheap enough too, that I might be able to get it over here without having to face the wrath of Indian customs.

8 hours ago, IlikeInksandIcannotlie said:

This looks fantastic! The price is cheap enough too, that I might be able to get it over here without having to face the wrath of Indian customs.

Hope it is 🙏

• 2 months later...

I finally got to test that ink, that I ordered thanks to yazeh's test :)

Well behaved, permanent enough, very little iron smell (unless you add water to it) or smell in general, flowed well in the pens I tried it in, worked on any paper...

It could have been the perfect red, except I discovered I don't like dark reds. I'm going to try mixing it with the blue (that I haven't tried yet) from the same maker to see if that works well. If not, I'm going to give it away!

2 hours ago, Lithium466 said:

I finally got to test that ink, that I ordered thanks to yazeh's test :)

Well behaved, permanent enough, very little iron smell (unless you add water to it) or smell in general, flowed well in the pens I tried it in, worked on any paper...

It could have been the perfect red, except I discovered I don't like dark reds. I'm going to try mixing it with the blue (that I haven't tried yet) from the same maker to see if that works well. If not, I'm going to give it away!

You can't do much if you don't like the colour. ;)

But I'm glad that at least behavioural wise it passed the test. Yes you can mix them. It might create interesting colours :)

Conversely, I filled a Noodler's Ahab's reservoir with this ink. And forgot about it. Later on when I started using it, the ink, oxidized into black. And this on Tomoe River 68gr paper. 

Bergmann

Nice color! I only managed to get that with heavy ink application on paper, not through a pen. With a F/EF nib, dark red it was. Now you gave me hope for some kind of dark violet/bluish plum maybe?

(to note, my own samples look redder than yours, either because of my uncalibrated screen, or batch difference)

3 hours ago, Lithium466 said:

Nice color! I only managed to get that with heavy ink application on paper, not through a pen. With a F/EF nib, dark red it was. Now you gave me hope for some kind of dark violet/bluish plum maybe?

(to note, my own samples look redder than yours, either because of my uncalibrated screen, or batch difference)

The ink was/is in the reservoir for at least a month, hence the dark almost black colour !