velox brunneis vulpes

Hello fellow FPNers,

I am considering buying a pen which the seller has described as a "Waterman 52", but I noticed that the clip is attached near the top of the cap (please refer to the attached images).

I know the Waterman 52v has a higher-mounted clip like the pen on sale, but all of the other Waterman 52's I have seen so far show the clip attached lower down on the cap.

Could someone please tell me if the Waterman 52 ever came with a higher-mounted clip?

Is the pen for sale actually a Waterman 52?

Or is it some sort of Waterman frankenpen?

Your advice would be much appreciated!

Best,

John

231666487_Screenshot_20230102-0855562.thumb.png.c9a2c1e4de2dddc0335063fdfe1bdb70.png

586692135_Screenshot_20230102-0902392.thumb.png.698610bdc40e4aca6dc551752bac33d5.png

1240566566_Screenshot_20230106-0612232.thumb.png.555983a121e6e3e3cee96a8c319699fc.png

Hundreds of flowers in spring, the moon in autumn,
The cool breeze in summer and snow in winter;
If there is no vain cloud in your mind,
for you it is a good season.

-  Mumon Ekai  無門慧開 

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• velox brunneis vulpes

• shalitha33

• helloMB

• Lee Dawson

I'm no waterman expert.

My guess is that this is a pen from slightly later times. Its not the old clip-cap. 52 / 54 and 52v / 54v caps are interchangeable 

2 hours ago, helloMB said:

Everything looks right, nice looking pen! 

But isn't the position of the clip on the cap not typical for a Waterman 52? 🤔

-  Mumon Ekai  無門慧開 

3 minutes ago, vulpes velox said:

But isn't the position of the clip on the cap not typical for a Waterman 52? 🤔

Not common, but nothing strange. 

On 1/7/2023 at 10:02 AM, shalitha33 said:

I'm no waterman expert.

My guess is that this is a pen from slightly later times. Its not the old clip-cap. 52 / 54 and 52v / 54v caps are interchangeable 

Thanks for the feedback shalitha33, much appreciated! :)

-  Mumon Ekai  無門慧開 

7 hours ago, helloMB said:

Not common, but nothing strange. 

Thanks for the feedback helloMB, much appreciated! :)

-  Mumon Ekai  無門慧開 

On old pens particularly, parts can be changed for repair. Even pens sent back to the maker can be returned with non-catalog condition. It is entirely possible the cap got swapped for a variety of reason. I am not an expert to be able to identify your pen. But the cap matches the pen nicely and if you don't tell anybody, few if any would ever question it. 

just wondering what the imprint is like on the barrel? Is it from Waterman Canada?
Clip kind of suggests that its from later period than earlier. so probably from the tail end of 52 production?

Canada may have produced riveted clips much later than the rest and there are some waterman 3 and 92 pens that have riveted clips which are closer to the top.

I haven't seen any on BHR though, but doesn't mean that didn't happen. 

https://goodwriterspens.com/2011/08/14/the-waterman-3/

You can also find clips in this position in the catalogs for pens with wide cap bands, This one obviously isn't one of them. But the position for the clip is not wrong as such.

again I'm no waterman expert and therefore can be very wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful pen....both my two 52's a wet noodle beaters....and I just noticed one's a bit smaller than the other. Partially in the other has a longer cap....both have slightly differing of clip heights, not as high as yours.

I'd not worry about the small stuff.....much better looking pen than mine.

I was more interested in the wet noodle nibs than the looks; one a 6 X, the other a rare 7 X.

If you bought it, do tell us what the nib flexes too. Not all 52's are wet noodles.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.