EFNIR: Diamine Writer's Blood

LizEF

Extra Fine Nib Ink Review: Diamine Writer's Blood

This is review #214 in my series. Here's the YouTube video:

Post-recording notes: Cleaning was surprisingly quick and easy.  It may need a few extra flushes because of how saturated it is, but it comes out easily.  This ink is basically a super-concentrated pink - see the microscope smear.

Wrote really wet after filling, for about 1/3 of an A5 page, then slowed down to what I assumed was normal.  The next day, after a paragraph, it wouldn't write.  I flossed the tines and it gushed. Wrote for another half page and it seems to be still flowing very wet.  The ink didn't clog again, it's still flowing extremely fat and writing a wide line.  Don't know what clogged the pen at the start - I clean thoroughly between inks and the pen hasn't had glitter in it in forever. Fluke, I guess.  See the writing on the swatch card in the video for the difference.

This ink seems to attract barking dogs.

Zoomed in photo (Very close, but the photo seems almost to have some brown in it, which the paper doesn't)
large.DiamineWritersBloodZ.jpg.d8782b4ad7d6162e380528a096da25ef.jpg

Screenshot (Also close, though the text is so dark you may have a hard time seeing any color.)
large.DiamineWritersBlood.jpg.05fb1b5ead38afeb6fc0b5619934144a.jpg

Scan of Completed Review (Close, possibly a bit too blue (I have a hard time deciding); text may be a little too light (over exposed).)
large.DiamineWritersBloodS.jpg.4f0219346581229fcb03c81caab3e9c5.jpg

Absorbent Paper Close-up (top is puzzle paper like thick newsprint, bottom is old 20lb copy paper) (AP: almost perfect; CP: close, possibly too brown.)
large.DiamineWritersBloodAP.jpg.00713bfdd97dde269a206a6f1cc16a80.jpg

Line width (One of the lines used for dry time. Magnification is 100x. The grid is 100x100µm. The scale is 360µm, with twelve divisions of 30µm each. The line width for this ink is roughly 360µm. With 214 inks measured, the average line width is 295µm.) (Not the fattest line, but definitely on the very wide end of the scale.)
large.DiamineWritersBloodLW.jpg.75222a63fffc55fedf6240f0648ee48b.jpg

Microscope image (100x. The software wouldn't pick up color or details, so this is my cell phone looking through the eyepiece.)
large.DiamineWritersBloodSmear.jpg.2861ab6d976bc2baa652d7b8f11eabe2.jpg

Previous Review: Diamine Silver Fox.

Images also available on Instagram: @zilxodarap.

Want to influence the inky sequence? Take the "next ink" poll.

View a list of my inks, complete with review results in a google sheet.

Need to catch up on The Adventures of Quin and Makhabesh? Find the whole story here.

Hope you enjoy. Comments appreciated!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• yazeh

• knarflj

• Uncial

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Great job @LizEF :thumbup:

This reminds me of some the extremely wet bulletproof Noodler's inks. This leaves underwhelmed.

I love happy tears, kudos to @Tas . Looking forward to the next episode :)

You'd think this would be right up my alley but, no. Nice color but something off. Too wine-colored, maybe? Great review, as always.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

50 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Great job @LizEF :thumbup:

:) Thanks, @yazeh!

51 minutes ago, yazeh said:

This reminds me of some the extremely wet bulletproof Noodler's inks. This leaves underwhelmed.

:)  I don't think I've ever tried a Noodler's that was this wet, but I suppose I will eventually.  I'm sort of ambivalent about this ink.  It's got some good features, it's not bad on cream paper, but without shading (my favorite feature), I'm not gonna run out and buy a bottle. :)

55 minutes ago, yazeh said:

I love happy tears, kudos to @Tas . Looking forward to the next episode :)

:D

15 minutes ago, chromantic said:

You'd think this would be right up my alley but, no. Nice color but something off. Too wine-colored, maybe? Great review, as always.

Thank you!  Others have described it as burgundy.  It wasn't what I would have voted for when they were picking the r/fountainpens ink. :)

I love the name, and the colour might be okay, but the fat line and fuzz would be deal breakers for me.  Thanks for helping me keep my wallet closed. :)

I do hope the silkworm colony was not damaged too permanently or severely, though, and that our friends can help them get back -- I was going to say, "On their feet,"  but maybe that's the wrong phrase . . . how about, I hope they can help the silkworms regroup and rebuild quickly.

"To read without also writing is to sleep." - St. Jerome

36 minutes ago, knarflj said:

but the fat line and fuzz would be deal breakers for me

:)  Yeah, this is the price of an excessively wet ink.

36 minutes ago, knarflj said:

Thanks for helping me keep my wallet closed. :)

:D  Glad to do it!

37 minutes ago, knarflj said:

I do hope the silkworm colony was not damaged too permanently or severely, though, and that our friends can help them get back -- I was going to say, "On their feet,"  but maybe that's the wrong phrase . . . how about, I hope they can help the silkworms regroup and rebuild quickly.

:D Tune in next week..... :P

15 minutes ago, Uncial said:

I love this ink; a true black cherry red

Yes, that sounds right. :)  Glad you enjoy it, Uncial!