A.Diggy

Hello. I recently bought my very first and brand new, Platinum President in Ultra Extra fine. I have never had a platinum pen before. But I had looked into it several times and wanted one. When I realize that they were no longer producing Presidents, I had to do something about it and move quick. So I found one for a very good price and bought it. 
When I received it, I opened it up, cleaned it, inked it, I started writing with it. I have never experienced anything like this before. The nib was very smooth yet had wonderful feedback. I couldn’t get over this. I was very happy to say the least. I instantly wanted to share this with friends online and on social media. I grabbed my pen, my phone, and my rig to go outside and take some photos of my great new pen and here’s where the trouble started. 
as I was setting up my rig, distance, lighting, etc., The pen rolled off the long seat or bench, that I have of my mothers from years ago. It was the perfect juxtaposition against the very beautiful and new black pen against an old wooden bench that was painted over and over again showing several different paints chipped and showing through. It was a wonderful set up. It rolled off of the bench and onto the wooden slanted porch as I try to quickly move around my tripod, my legs tangled in the legs of the tripod, and I quickly grab my phone as to not slam it down and break that. By the time I corrected and hobbled towards the pen it somehow turned in its role and went right through the wooden slats of a two-story porch onto gravel and stone. My heart dropped. I went down to get it. I picked up my pen to inspect it when I saw how bad it was. The two tines not only lost its tipping, but lost part of each 18gold tine as well. I know a new, dropping a pen could and would damage a nib. Bending it out of shape. No problem I will find it in the Meister and get it repaired. But no. Two chunks or busted right off the gold tines. At an oblique angle. I searched for quite some time for those gold pieces. At one point I finally realize that they could’ve flung anywhere. The impact was so great to bust not just a tipping off of the nib, but the gold itself. 18 karat gold, which is pretty soft. I still can’t understand how this happened. 

I went back in the house, my mind racing. What can I do? All I could think of was to smooth off the broken sharp metal so I did. I then stopped and realized that this tip is just absolutely destroyed.

so, after all that my question, is there anyway to fix this nib? Being that I am not a nib meister, I don’t know if anyone can add gold to a nib where it has been lost? At this point, can they even add a great amount of tipping, and do something, anything to get this nib working again?

It makes me ill every time I think about it. Like right now. I will include some photos that I will take now.

My second question is, if it cannot be fixed then, can it be replaced? And my question really is, what nib can I replace it with that will be up to the pilot Presidents equal or greater that they sell separately and I can buy? And where do I buy it from? Yes, I’m looking for a gold nib.

as I was just taking photos of the nib, I really got a good look at the damage. I didn’t see all those scratches at the time on the front of the lab, and I didn’t realize how much of the feed actually got mangled either. My main concern was the cold need itself I guess. DE89C509-3877-4B08-AE31-43C38162C1B0.thumb.jpeg.b61fa73b950f930d366881992fa626f9.jpegB77E2BF3-9578-4E03-A86D-7FD39B26E326.thumb.jpeg.c7fafd839b6d2cad18414bf6fd8ca6da.jpeg

I am just still very young to fountain pen depths of knowledge, of where to go, who to talk to, etc. I do feel this nib is probably just junk at this point, but I just can’t swallow that jagged little pill yet. So I thought I’d reach out to you, reach out to the community, knowing that there is great knowledge here. I look forward to hearing from you all. 

8BF1FF0D-C84A-4259-835D-0C8BE4B0578B.jpeg

3DB7CE19-5644-4370-A999-A635D2858F19.jpeg

E7262E34-DA8B-43B1-8402-7B56F80C615F.jpeg

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A.Diggy

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images