What colours are you hoping for- Lamy Safari 2023 special edtion!

cougarking

On 12/20/2022 at 11:22 AM, Astronymus said:

The barrel is molded as a whole.

The barrel is molded as a whole using injection. Modifiying the injected plastics is an interesting and sometimes complicated process but it is not unusual in the model industry in which the sprews flow plastics into the mold. Multiple color techniques are usually proprietary but are variations on two-step molding: one color is injected through one portal and the second color injected through another; or the first color is cooled, removed, and the parts are inserted into another mold for the second or third color. The trick is using colors with slightly different melt points. Bandai was famous for their process but apparently there wasn't enough demand to justify the expense and these models are no longer being made. 

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Astronymus

• ErrantSmudge

• bogiesan

• inkstainedruth

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2022 at 8:06 PM, ErrantSmudge said:

I went back to check the Facebook group and the rumored photo is no longer there.  Evidently the original poster or the group moderators pulled it.  Anyway it showed three Safaris that looked like the 2019 colors, just a shade darker and with matching colored clips (as opposed to chrome).  I don't remember if the pen bodies were matte or glossy. 

Time will tell if there is any truth to the photo.

Update: did a search and found these photos on reddit, again rumored colors for the 2023 Safari and Al-Star.  Original source of the photos is apparently this Instagram account for "Lamy Limited" which appears to be a Lamy dealer, although the account has very few posts so not necessarily a reliable source: https://www.instagram.com/lamylimited/?hl=en

zdkmn5dfs52a1.png

8dxth6dfs52a1.png

I’ve never been interested in buying an Al-Star, but that ‘Petrol’ colour looks very nice indeed :thumbup:

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

I would like to see a matte yellow or some matte neon colors. Also like someone else (I believe) mentioned earlier, colored versions of Lamy Vista will sell really well as long as they out some effort into it—not just using the stock silver or black parts etc. 

On 12/26/2022 at 4:23 PM, Anne-Sophie said:

It was a really nice medium brown color, I think it was matte and there was a cartoon bear clip ornament that was the likeness of a character that belongs to the co-sponsors of the brown color Lamy.

What warm color aficionados could ask is a deep brown matte Safari with matching clip that would be as sophisticated as Petrol and Dark Lilac. Cream is a nod to the same warm color loving people.

The matte "Brown" Safari is quite beautiful in person (the color is brown, and the name of the Line Friends bear is Brown). Although I'd be slightly bummed if it became a major release since I had to work a bit to source mine, overall I think it's a color that many would love and should have. I'll still have my exclusive box with little trinkets...

The Sally version, which is a glossy pastel yellow, is also quite great. The color is quite different from the production yellow or the older, warmer yellow. 

Did I mention that I would like a zebra pattern safari ? giraffe

lion or leopard pattern. 

One could do a series of snake patterns the Spotted Bush Snake  is very nice. I know its not very minimalist Lamy but it would be safari themed.

36 minutes ago, Black Spot said:

I doubt Lamy comes hear or cares what we think.

If I were one of the executives at Lamy, I’d have somebody keeping an eye on what the FPN ‘community’ thinks about the designs & build quality of the high-end pens that they make, and also how well the ‘Crystal’ inks are received. (I’d do the same thing if I were in an equivalent position at Pelikan, Visconti, etc).
We are, after all, probably a fairly representative ‘chunk’ of the potential market for those products.

But Safaris are mass-produced ‘school pens’, and they sell in such high volumes that those of us on here probably constitute only a very small percentage of the potential customer base.

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

• 3 weeks later...

Confirmed that Lilac and Petrol are the Al-Star colors for 2023.  Saw an announcement from Lamy USA official on Facebook this morning.

Lilac:

https://us-shop.lamy.com/en_us/fountain-pen-lamy-al-star.html#nib_grade=7224&nib_material=7228&model_color_material=7730

Petrol:

https://us-shop.lamy.com/en_us/fountain-pen-lamy-al-star.html#nib_grade=7224&nib_material=7228&model_color_material=7613

Of the two, Petrol is the one that catches my eye.

A couple of e-sellers seem to have the new al-Star colors in stock now.  So, there's definitely going to be a Violet al-Star in my future.  I just have to decide what else I want to get (to add to my order) and where from, and to also decide what nib width to get.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."