An informal look at tools for taking pictures of nibs and inks

amberleadavis

Okay, that's a terrible title.

@Just J asked me about how I take pictures for my reviews and especially my pictures of nibs.  J asked about this picture.

large.PXL_20221204_024309237.jpg.e8ec33fa794caad2b076488abc6531b9.jpg

First, let me say that the above photo is MUCH better than the photos I usually take.

@Tom Kellie @fpupulin @dms525 @dcpritch and @LizEF along with many others, have given me tips, tricks and help.

Here is my actual set up.  No my desk is never really clean.

large.PXL_20221211_184430912.jpg.0e1b150a695ff9f9540a75b12f46edfa.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• IThinkIHaveAProblem

• dipper

• dms525

Obviously, the computer gets the most use.  I have a homemade standing desk that allows my arms to rest.  It's not pretty, but it is very functional.

The majority of the images in my posts are scanned by the Fujitsu Scansnap.  This model is my 3rd or maybe 4th Scansnap.  Here is the most current version.   I used to find them at Costco.com, but they don't seem to be for sale any longer. While I did try the Epson, Brother, HP and Canon scanners also, my tests were more than a decade ago.   If you are scanning photos only, the Canon was my favorite.  I use the Fujitsu because it is the very best for work.

So, here are the handwritten notes.

large.1.jpg.94865ccaa44a0280cc310367d1937301.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

large.20221211.jpg.339c18deb071dfa608fdd034bf576334.jpg

large.20221211_001.jpg.9f73ecd3850adf1cd12582e27835b69d.jpg

large.20221211_002.jpg.1c2ba70f1feb5831557a55fa3de746fb.jpg

Okay, so the best phone camera I had was the Essential Ph-one which can still be purchased used for less than $75, but it isn't a working phone. I also preferred the Pixel 3XL to the 6 Pro because the older phone had an option for Macro photos.

Even still, the Google 6Pro takes amazing photos.  The detail is so good you can see the dots on the printed dot paper.  

large.PXL_20221211_200504994.jpg.c838207ffef3840dc3bb2499a2929e0a.jpg

However, getting the nib to be in focus instead of the paper required many photos. but it will capture the B on the side of the nib.

large.PXL_20221211_200559221.jpg.e50c16e49ef72a12d3bc706d88b0f6c0.jpg

Based on a recommendation from  @LizEF, I purchased a USB microscope.  I found one used for about $25 on ebay.  

https://plugable.com/products/usb2-micro-250x

This microscope was very useful for getting shots of sheen and shimmer, but I don't enjoy it as much for getting color.

Also, the dots are not as clear on the Pluggable microscope.

large.ipulugable2022-12-11_00108.jpg.c6c9a24230df1231fcf888c2c85c76cd.jpg

See what I mean about the lighting?

large.plugable2022-12-11_00109.jpg.d85257d54574e11dd7447a29d4d101a5.jpg

Next, I tried the InSwan document scanner.

https://www.inswan.com/en/INS-1

This one has the best options for attaching it to real microscope.

I found this one used for about $50.  Because it also has light, the images are sharper.

large.ins2022-12-11_00106.jpg.601852a9c32b9370be6a1811aa29c5c8.jpg

Also, the Inswan has the ability to focus with just a button.  It was nice.

However, you can't really see the details like you can with my cell phone camera.

large.ins2022-12-11_00107.jpg.44a95c05d49095a02cfdf151c7a04b35.jpg

Finally, during Covid, I needed a document camera that would also work for books.  I acquired an IPEVO.  Because I bought it used (and no one was looking, I paid $75, which was a steal.)

https://www.ipevo.com/products/vz-r

large.ipevo2022-12-11_00110.jpg.49a84b546c8d4308a5f69ffd9cc31358.jpg

The photo area is larger and color is better.

large.ipevo2022-12-11_00111.jpg.d7b142b8355c68a4c34bce11b216614d.jpg

Also, the focus was better.

large.ipevo2022-12-11_00112.jpg.472e8fc8576671216ce11fb3acc9c015.jpg

But for the macro photos, the Google Pixel 6Pro was better.

large.ipevo2022-12-11_00113.jpg.55c41b4bce5923e107165b9ae5310bd6.jpg 

@IThinkIHaveAProblem perhaps you can weigh in and explain how you get such great photos.

@Just J I really think my photos are the most lack luster, but I hope this helped.

My $0.02 worth: I use my phone camera exclusively. It zooms in when asked nicely. Lighting is the biggest issue for me. I use a LCD desk lamp and incandescent room lighting when I can't use indirect daylight. Almost all my posted photos are edited with the iPhone Photo app, sometimes just a little, sometimes a bit more.

I'm usually happy enough with the results technically. When inspired and with fewer other projects competing for time and energy, I work on the aesthetics of the setting. It's usually minimal.

Waiting for others' wisdom and tricks.

David

Phone cameras' automatic focus can be a real pain when the camera refuses to focus on the pen nib, but focuses on the background instead.

I make that problem even worse by sticky-taping a loupe over my Samsung phone camera lens, to focus extra close up.

A tip, to sidestep the autofocus issue entirely, is to go back to how cameras used to be before autofocus was invented. Manual focus or focus-lock.

If your phone is an Android then this app from the Google App Store does the business:

(Sorry - I don't know if there is an iPhone equivalent.)

Screenshot_20221212-010003-01.jpeg.4710c17340b2d63e08bc781d636cf040.jpeg

("Contains ads"? I never see any!)

Here, in the Open Camera app focus settings, the padlock option is selected...

Screenshot_20221212-011253-01.jpeg.0f909a0aca72c2da082ff9b0b8349be3.jpeg

In that mode the camera will autofocus on anything by tapping on the viewing screen, but then that focus distance remains locked until after the camera button is pressed and one photo has been taken.

My method of use is to have the camera set in focus lock mode permanently (the padlock above).

To take one photo I tap the phone screen image to autofocus on anything, and then, with the camera focus locked at that distance, I can move the camera or the subject back and forward until I see on the screen that the nib slit (eg) is in sharp focus. Then press the button to take a photo at that locked focus distance.

Unfortunately the taking of one photo clears the temporary focus lock distance. So I have to tap again to autofocus (distance is then locked again) if more photos are needed.

~ @amberleadavis:

That initial nib image at the top is a stunner!

It's inspiring, showing what top-class nib photography is like.

Thank you so much for your time and care in preparing and posting this series.

Tom K.

I also use Open Camera on both my "phones" (Android devices made to be phones, but which I use as just WiFi devices - yes, I have no mobile phone), and highly recommend it, and manual focus!  Once I found a version I liked, I stopped upgrading - I never allow auto-upgrade for any app (all too often, the upgrade stinks).

One of my phones is exclusively used for recording videos and capturing images from the WiFi "microscope" mentioned below (and as an alarm clock).  I use it with this external microphone, which does an exceptional job at picking up the tappety tap tapping. :D

One of the keys to better photos / videos, is to not hold the camera by hand!  By mounting the camera, you can allow a longer exposure which gives a greater depth of field.  That plus good lighting (the right amount from the right angles) and a neutral, non-cluttered background all add up to good photos.  To that end, I made a jig to hold my phone in a fixed position for consistent videos (and easier / faster setup):

large_Jig.jpg.f47d91a14a4e0928d4a79468707e44cc.jpg

My scanner is a Canon CanoScan Lide 400 Slim Scanner.  It does a pretty good job with most colors, but things tend to be over-exposed, and it has a really hard time with unusual colors - scanners just weren't made for that, I think.

I'm now using this no-brand Chinese WiFi "microscope" (though this isn't the listing I purchased from - that listing is long gone).  This is the tool I use for the zoom and absorbent paper images in my reviews.  I find it usually gives better color if I leave the built-in light on.  Elsewhere I posted about the stand I made for it to hold it in a fixed position to make it easier to take consistent review pictures (my only use for this thing).

And I use this real microscope with Motic Images 3.x software to capture real microscopic images - line width and ink slides / smears in my reviews.  (Again, I didn't buy from B&H, but that is the microscope - I'm sure it's no longer even made, let alone sold.)

I use these LED light panels to record my reviews.  This is the hardest part - there are too many of them (four), but fortunately the camera can take it, and with fewer, the lighting is even more uneven.  I cannot find a way to get as close as I do for my review videos and have perfectly even lighting - the way just doesn't seem to exist.

FWIW.

3 hours ago, amberleadavis said:

@IThinkIHaveAProblem perhaps you can weigh in and explain how you get such great photos.

Uhm… Thank you!  

I’m not sure which photos of mine you are thinking of in particular. But here’s what they all have in common

I built a light box out of white foam core and was lighting it with a VERY HOT halogen from Home Depot but now I’m trying (with some limited success) with led strips. (They aren’t bright enough…)

i was using an iPhone 12 Pro Max but last week upgraded to a 14 pro max. I shoot in raw or ProRaw (its an apple thing) which allows for more leeway in editing. 

and i generally edit using snapseed. (Also available for android, it’s a google product) A GREAT app. But have also used adobe and pixelmator pro. 

The pixel 6 pro should be a very capable camera. I don't use android but i know it was well reviewed. 
generally to get it to focus on a particular spot, you just tap it on the screen. But if you are having issues, a manual camera app can be nice. Adobe has a free one built in to photoshop for ios. Its ok. But i prefer Reeflex

As far as I’m concerned the gold standard for Photos of pens was set by @PenHero and @christof  both of whom have given explanations of how they do it here on fpn. Both at my request i think…  It comes down to LIGHT lots and lots of nice clean diffused light. Oh and the INSANE creative and technical skills of both of the aforementioned members. 

Here is penheros answer: 

Here is christofs answer:

Just give me the Parker 51s and nobody needs to get hurt.

Thank you all for your responses and advice.  @dipper thank you I have downloaded the software!

• 1 month later...

I manage to get good results with a really basic and primitive setup.  I try to use as much natural light as I can, so I'm set up in the Florida room, with a couple of lights.

Photo-studio_2022.thumb.JPG.dcefe39a4752c3f655d269c12d078e6b.JPG

My camera cost me all of $3, plus another $11 for a battery and charger - Olympus FE-5020

Olympus FE-5020 Review | Trusted Reviews

And this is what I get.  For really detailed nib shots, I can just put my loupe over the front of the camera lens.

Senator_Zeppelin_Medium_1.thumb.JPG.7bad01411b8f78a4ba7e7d0eff986f00.JPG

Parker_VS_Nib_1.thumb.JPG.42f2c02829b9074ab128bb67d9c8c403.JPG

10 hours ago, gweimer1 said:

I manage to get good results with a really basic and primitive setup.  I try to use as much natural light as I can, so I'm set up in the Florida room, with a couple of lights.

Photo-studio_2022.thumb.JPG.dcefe39a4752c3f655d269c12d078e6b.JPG

My camera cost me all of $3, plus another $11 for a battery and charger - Olympus FE-5020

Olympus FE-5020 Review | Trusted Reviews

And this is what I get.  For really detailed nib shots, I can just put my loupe over the front of the camera lens.

Hard to beat that price :)

Just give me the Parker 51s and nobody needs to get hurt.

Thank you all!