EFNIR: Diamine Ancient Copper

LizEF

Thank you @LizEF for this review and for the story.

It's a clear "me too" when it comes to the excitement about the microscopy images. First impressions for me were: Aerial view of ancient city Pompeji when Vesuvio started erupting; and: invasion of the sea urchins.  :D However, we had a lot of fun with these!

And now I have to find out if my fountain pen speaks to me .... 🧙‍♀️

One life!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• Bo Bo Olson

• Sailor Kenshin

• txomsy

9 hours ago, Misfit said:

I posted photos from a few years ago. The pen has Oster ink in it now. Unfortunately I didn’t write on Tomoe paper with that pen and ink. I have a Traveler’s Notebook set up with old and new 52gsm Tomoe paper notebooks. But that came later. 

No worries.  Gives me more of an excuse to do it later. :D

4 hours ago, SplitGillStudio said:

Whoa!  The microscope images are GORGEOUS.  (If you have the originals still, I would absolutely love to get a print of one of them!)

:) The images posted here are the originals.  If you make the right combination of clicks (on a computer) you get the full size image.  If the algorithm for uploading to FPN changes the image (some upload tools will reduce image quality to save space), the YouTube video description has a link to the original, unchanged.  It's probably not good enough for a decent print, though - a good (commercial) print requires a 300dpi image .... [Liz goes to check....]  Huh.  That's surprising.  At 300dpi, these images would print at 6.8 x 5.1 inches (roughly).  Maybe I should make a coffee table book... :D

If you have the resources, I give you permission to print for your own personal use.  (Not that I could stop you either way, but still.)

3 hours ago, InesF said:

Thank you @LizEF for this review and for the story.

:) You're welcome!

3 hours ago, InesF said:

It's a clear "me too" when it comes to the excitement about the microscopy images. First impressions for me were: Aerial view of ancient city Pompeji when Vesuvio started erupting; and: invasion of the sea urchins.  :D However, we had a lot of fun with these!

:lol:  Yes, good interpretations.  Perhaps Copperton is a sunken city, now protected by spiky sea urchins.  Well.  There you go.  Inspiration has struck.  Excuse me while I go write some notes.  OK, back.  Thank you for being inspiring! :D

3 hours ago, InesF said:

And now I have to find out if my fountain pen speaks to me .... 🧙‍♀️

:lol: I'll bet it speaks by writing! :P

• 1 month later...

A Senator '70's-80s Eenator (((???))), a third tier pen. Regular flex/Japanese soft M nib.This is the first time I've used it. Semi-vintage M would be a modern western Fat F or F/M. A half a width narrower than modern Pelikan/MB.

I traded a pound of coffee for the pen and the woman gave me the Uhu ink for 'free'.  I knew Uhu only as a glue. I later got this Uhu pen but not with the box. Francis did a rebuild on that '50's pen. It's on my list to use.AfZ17lM.jpg

7lozlMh.jpg

Senator pen; a company that is still around....somehow.

The bottle looks like the Pelikan ink bottle. I've not tried the ink, in right now I'm not into Royal Blue.

Emei2kJ.jpg

On Artoz 90g Finest, a good Swiss paper ( have a couple of them in differing papers) Ancient Copper reminds me a bit of Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Brown.

There is some shading but not a lot on that paper. The semi-vintage M Senator writes wider than on the following two papers.

On Clairefontaine Triomphe. is is smooth, narrow and not much if any shading. Oxford Optic 90g, wrote darker than CT, a bit more shading, but not a shading monster.

Printed it does better in shading on each of the three paper....but again...it's only occasional is my scribble is cursive/printing. I had hoped for more.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

1 hour ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

On Artoz 90g Finest, a good Swiss paper ( have a couple of them in differing papers) Ancient Copper reminds me a bit of Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Brown.

That's interesting.  I wouldn't have suspected it, but then, I haven't tried Pelikan's 4001 Brown ink yet.

1 hour ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

On Clairefontaine Triomphe. is is smooth, narrow and not much if any shading. Oxford Optic 90g, wrote darker than CT, a bit more shading, but not a shading monster.

Printed it does better in shading on each of the three paper....but again...it's only occasional is my scribble is cursive/printing. I had hoped for more.

I had to go back and read my own review. :)  Looks like I found similar - shading is hard to see because the ink is dark.  But yes, as you say, printing does shade better.

Thanks for sharing your lovely vintage pens, too! :D

Showing pens beats the hell out of showing my monstrous Roster Scratch.

I'm glad you like them they have been falling slowly into my hands over the last 15 years. They are more expensive to get than now than what I paid............the now 'mostly passed' old guys back when I was noobie, said the same of the decades before in the early days of the net or even before by newspaper ads.

Some day some one will tell you how cheap you got what you consider an expensive used pen now.

The inflation in pens and much else started long before blaming the Dem's.....

15 years ago, I was going to be happy flying and staying in the States for a month with some house selling business..............I was going to chili out......one $$$$bowl in a upscale mall chili joint cured that, and one Martini cocktail $$$$ had it's month too.

That's what happens when you live in the old days. :bunny01:

There I swore I'd not go over 7 pens inked and now have 12 :headsmack:.....there is still hope, once for years I had a 'normal' 17 inked.

Ancient Copper is redder than Pelikan 4001 Brilliant brown....just looked at some notes written in the last week with that ink.

There are more vintage pens over in the original, which Diamine inks shade thread.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

42 minutes ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

There I swore I'd not go over 7 pens inked and now have 12 :headsmack:.....there is still hope, once for years I had a 'normal' 17 inked.

:lol:  I think they multiply when locked in dark drawers or left alone on the desk...

43 minutes ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

Ancient Copper is redder than Pelikan 4001 Brilliant brown....just looked at some notes written in the last week with that ink.

:) It would be hard for it to be otherwise.  Still, I like a nice brown ink, so I'll check out the Pelikan eventually...

As to prices, maybe one day you'll be able to trade a pen for 6 eggs or 10mL of gasoline... :P

:unsure:p4ZfaSu.jpg?2

That rotating under shelf has pen slots....so it's 19 pens inked, not the 14 I thought.:wallbash:

When I fall off the wagon, I need a parachute.

39 minutes ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

That rotating under shelf has pen slots....so it's 19 pens inked, not the 14 I thought.:wallbash:

When I fall off the wagon, I need a parachute.

:lticaptd:

Thank you for an engaging and thorough review of one of my favorite inks. I had a lot of fun reading this and am looking forward to your next review. Monteverde Red Velvet is now on my radar!

"If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done"  Ludwig Wittgenstein

"It is impossible to design something that is foolproof because fools are so ingenious." - Groucho Marx

48 minutes ago, Rebbe said:

Thank you for an engaging and thorough review of one of my favorite inks. I had a lot of fun reading this and am looking forward to your next review. Monteverde Red Velvet is now on my radar!

:) You're very welcome!  I don't have Monteverde Red Velvet, but I've added it to my list of inks to sample, with a link back here so I can update you when I get to it.  Note that I have enough inks right now to keep reviewing to the end of 2024, so it may not be soon...

I have a secret stash of Akkerman samples that I keep forgetting about....in they are put away in a tin box....with in plain sight....so no excuses. But I do know how it is to have more inks than one has time for.:unsure:

30 minutes ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

But I do know how it is to have more inks than one has time for.:unsure:

:D First world problems!  I blame FPN, and thank FPNers - so many generous people have contributed to my sample collection!