EFNIR: Diamine Ancient Copper

LizEF

Extra Fine Nib Ink Review: Diamine Ancient Copper

This is review #210 in my series. Here's the YouTube video:

Post-recording notes: Cleaning was easy but did take a few extra flushes - very saturated color.  Depending on the wetness of the ink, this may look like an orange brown (wetter) or a brown orange (drier).  It's like a cross between Autumn Oak and Oxblood.  Oddly, Van Dieman's Sweetheart Cherry seems very similar, just much paler.  Whatever the color, I really like it, and I enjoyed this ink in the pen.

What can I say, I liked the microscope images, so I included three. :)

Erratum: Accidentally labeled the quote as "Writing Prompt". :)

Zoomed in photo (Text may be a little lighter than what I see, but the color is good.)
large.DiamineAncientCopperZ.jpg.7d4e9a262c3cb637a190bbc4200eb8c9.jpg

Screenshot (Also not quite as orange as real life - a little too red, I think.)
large.DiamineAncientCopper.jpg.ddbdfbfa5dee47c590580c639bd0d478.jpg

Scan of Completed Review (Came out way too red. I was able to correct it a little, but it's still less orange than it should be.)
large.DiamineAncientCopperS.jpg.1a2da108ce611f28c3873865a4fade40.jpg

Absorbent Paper Close-up (top is puzzle paper like thick newsprint, bottom is old 20lb copy paper) (AP: Reality looks flatter in color and more brown; CP: Very close)
large.DiamineAncientCopperAP.jpg.7c2e4cb90e9077d6bc71f47fb25b0310.jpg

Line width (One of the lines used for dry time. Magnification is 100x. The grid is 100x100µm. The scale is 330µm, with eleven divisions of 30µm each. The line width for this ink is roughly 282µm. With 210 inks measured, the average line width is 295µm.)
large.DiamineAncientCopperLW.jpg.5f5128bd5d06768b0d16b56da02fc8c1.jpg

Microscope image (100x. Aerial view of Copperton, such lovely orange trees.)
large.DiamineAncientCopperSmear.jpg.a492665f316b799c364de9c32ff71385.jpg

Microscope image (100x. Spiky defenders of Copperton)
large.DiamineAncientCopperSmear2.jpg.7909cb3669644d9546c2d9905f72e78d.jpg

Microscope image (100x. More spiky defenders of Copperton)
large.DiamineAncientCopperSmear3.jpg.369fe55e2b2af04839e2b0d7ac3c73c8.jpg

Previous Review: De Atramentis Jane Austen.

Images also available on Instagram: @zilxodarap.

Want to influence the inky sequence? Take the "next ink" poll.

View a list of my inks, complete with review results in a google sheet.

Need to catch up on The Adventures of Quin and Makhabesh? Find the whole story here.

Hope you enjoy. Comments appreciated!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• Bo Bo Olson

• Sailor Kenshin

• Misfit

Well, you have an entire province there!  I may have had a sample of Ancient Copper at one point, or a bottle of ink that was rumored to be the same.  I liked the color, but had trouble with cleaning it.  Perfect for late autumn, when the oak leaves are that exact color, and stubbornly cling to the trees (so you have to rake them in the spring).

@LizEF, I love the story.  Thanks again for the reviews!

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

55 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Well, you have an entire province there!

:D

55 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

I may have had a sample of Ancient Copper at one point, or a bottle of ink that was rumored to be the same.  I liked the color, but had trouble with cleaning it.

It did seem very saturated - lots of dye in there.

56 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Perfect for late autumn, when the oak leaves are that exact color, and stubbornly cling to the trees (so you have to rake them in the spring).

:)  I didn't know oak leaves do that.  I found collecting leaves by raking to be far too tedious, so now I mow them up. :D  Much easier that way.

57 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

@LizEF, I love the story.  Thanks again for the reviews!

Thanks!  And you're very welcome. :)

I love the microscope images! Actually, I love them far more than the ink, about which I am pretty ambivalent. Sometimes I quite like the colour, but I dislike the nib crud intensely, and find the whole thing just a bit too saturated for me. Mine doesn't dry as quickly either - but that may be to do with my fat nibs.

On the other hand, I am really quite smitten with the story - much gratitude for not making us wait for an extra week 

Thank you as always!

21 minutes ago, mizgeorge said:

I love the microscope images! Actually, I love them far more than the ink, about which I am pretty ambivalent.

:)

22 minutes ago, mizgeorge said:

Sometimes I quite like the colour, but I dislike the nib crud intensely, and find the whole thing just a bit too saturated for me. Mine doesn't dry as quickly either - but that may be to do with my fat nibs.

Ah, if you have a strong dislike of nib crud, this whole color range is almost off limits!  Though supposedly a well-sealed pen and frequent use will prevent it.  I didn't experience any nib crud while this was in my review pen.  But yes, it's very saturated.  I was thinking an average or slightly dry stub might spread it out enough to give some good shading. :)

24 minutes ago, mizgeorge said:

On the other hand, I am really quite smitten with the story - much gratitude for not making us wait for an extra week 

😊 Thank you, and happily!

25 minutes ago, mizgeorge said:

Thank you as always!

You're very welcome!

That has quickly become a new favorite of mine. I use it on a Kaweco Copper Liliput with a semi-flex nib.

My only caveat with this ink (and I just discovered today going over some Statistics notes at home) is that under warm (yellow) light it becomes somewhat tiresome to read for me, maybe because of the sheen. But under white or natural light it is a very pleasing color. And a perfect match to contrast with Troublemaker's Simoun.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

20 minutes ago, txomsy said:

That has quickly become a new favorite of mine. I use it on a Kaweco Copper Liliput with a semi-flex nib.

:) That would make a very nice pairing.

21 minutes ago, txomsy said:

My only caveat with this ink (and I just discovered today going over some Statistics notes at home) is that under warm (yellow) light it becomes somewhat tiresome to read for me, maybe because of the sheen. But under white or natural light it is a very pleasing color. And a perfect match to contrast with Troublemaker's Simoun.

Interesting.  I always use very white light where I'm writing, but this is good to know.  And I imagine it makes a very nice pair with Troublemaker's Simoun, too - based on internet pictures, anyway. :)

Thanks for adding your experience!

Great job @LizEF:thumbup:

Love the crystallization effects. 

Her majesty the staff has a name....getting curious... 

I was watching a documentary on a Alexandre Dumas.  It was kind of refreshing to see so many strikethroughs on his manuscripts. ... So please strike out the occasional mistakes... it's refreshing..  :)

11 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Great job @LizEF:thumbup:

Thanks! :)

12 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Love the crystallization effects. 

:D

12 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Her majesty the staff has a name....getting curious... 

:lol:

13 minutes ago, yazeh said:

I was watching a documentary on a Alexandre Dumas.  It was kind of refreshing to see so many strikethroughs on his manuscripts. ... So please strike out the occasional mistakes... it's refreshing..  :)

:lol:  I don't usually notice them until after I've processed the video - or at least, while I'm processing it.  The scribbles are when I make a "write-o" while recording.  I'm not sure I can convince my brain to make more mistakes, but it has registered your request and will give it all due consideration. ;)  (I wish to point out to anyone reading this that if my error rate goes up after this, you can blame @yazeh! :P )

spacer.png

On a whim, I did swatches of some red-brown inks.  Rhodia Ice lined, all glass dip pens apart from the first mix.

Which seems closest to Ancient Copper?  

The Sailor Kobe Brick bottle had some serious crud on its lip.  And my wastebasket now looks like a really ugly crime scene.

1 hour ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Which seems closest to Ancient Copper?  

On my screen, the Monteverde Red Velvet does, though it might not be quite brown enough.  Someone put Goulet's images together, including these two:

fff2e62b649b00247add01220f5d32cc.jpg

Sheaffer Brown looks closer to Ancient Copper, by a little.

45 minutes ago, LizEF said:

On my screen, the Monteverde Red Velvet does, though it might not be quite brown enough.  Someone put Goulet's images together, including these two:

fff2e62b649b00247add01220f5d32cc.jpg

Sheaffer Brown looks closer to Ancient Copper, by a little.

It does!  And I have some.  Thanks.  🎉

26 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Thanks.  🎉

:) You're welcome!  Thanks for adding your red-brown swatches.

When I first tried Ancient Copper, I loved the color (still do), but I soon grew tired of the nib creep and clean-out efforts.  Over time, I tried it in several different pens, and I think I have finally found a pen and nib that work well.  No, I don't have it loaded up right now, and I don't feel like looking up my notes at an hour past my bedtime.  Anyhow, I still love it in the proper pen/nib.

7 minutes ago, abstract49 said:

When I first tried Ancient Copper, I loved the color (still do), but I soon grew tired of the nib creep and clean-out efforts.  Over time, I tried it in several different pens, and I think I have finally found a pen and nib that work well.  No, I don't have it loaded up right now, and I don't feel like looking up my notes at an hour past my bedtime.  Anyhow, I still love it in the proper pen/nib.

:) Thanks for sharing your experience!  Some inks make it a challenge to find the right pen.  Glad you found one for this ink.  Sleep well!

Since it’s ok with Liz, I’ll post photos from a wider nib. 

This is Ancient Copper on Leuchtturm paper. You can see some shading on this paper. 

large.07A56900-E21C-4650-879F-8CBC1F79AA36.jpeg.7db04ecb4519cd6accec316d32e96eaa.jpeg

This is Clairefontaine paper, and it shades a bit less on it. 

large.FB538938-0510-4CC9-9C3C-AE47BA67105C.jpeg.30bb6c5c0b78e46e01d5a0bc7a01a50e.jpeg

Posted Image

32 minutes ago, Misfit said:

This is Clairefontaine paper, and it shades a bit less on it. 

One of the reasons I dislike Clairefontaine paper.  You'd think it would shade well - it's certainly water-resistant enough, and yet, it doesn't. :(

Thanks for sharing your pictures.  I'm thinking this may need to go into my Lamy or Pilot stub and then onto some 68gsm Tomoe River... :D   (But not this week.  Must wait for a pen to go dry.)

I posted photos from a few years ago. The pen has Oster ink in it now. Unfortunately I didn’t write on Tomoe paper with that pen and ink. I have a Traveler’s Notebook set up with old and new 52gsm Tomoe paper notebooks. But that came later. 

Posted Image

Whoa!  The microscope images are GORGEOUS.  (If you have the originals still, I would absolutely love to get a print of one of them!)

16 hours ago, txomsy said:

If you don't mind me asking, what nib are you using?  I really adore flex nibs and my kawecos are definitely an EDC for me - I'd love to slap a flex nib into one of mine!

I got a semi-flex nib unit for Kaweco tuned by FPnibs.com

Just go to the site, select the unit and order. Sadly, they do not provide full flex nibs for Kaweco units because the size of the nib (approx a #5) does not permit them to modify the nib satisfactorily. But the semi-flex is nice enough for me.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.