Looking for a fountain pen for pen and ink.

CrosshatchDave

2 hours ago, CrosshatchDave said:

Well I did it. I ordered a Pilot with Noddler Ink as well as a convertor.

Goulet Pens had great info and prices and got it to me today.

The journey begins in fountain pen ink.😊

I will post my first attempt when i get this pen loaded.

Which Pilot did you order the Metropolitan or something else?

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• CrosshatchDave

• inkstainedruth

• Maurizio

On 12/6/2022 at 8:26 AM, Sailor Kenshin said:

LOVE Rackham's work.  Thanks for the videos; they make me want to sketch again.

Rackham definitely laid the seeds for my interest in fountain pens…though I think he used a brush + India ink 😅

But yes, Rackham, Kate Greenaway, Kay Nielsen, love those ink + watercolor artists, something very timeless about their art to me. 

I purchased the Metropolitan.

I just sketched a couple tree branches hatched them and the Noodles Lexington Grey is great with watercolor. No smudging or running. 

And I enjoy how well the pen feels in my hand.

Edited by CrosshatchDave

1 hour ago, CrosshatchDave said:

I just sketched a couple tree branches hatched them and the Noodles Lexington Grey is great with watercolor. No smudging or running. 

Congratulations!!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

On 12/9/2022 at 2:57 PM, CrosshatchDave said:

Nice!

Enjoy and keep drawing. 

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

Could someone delete these two messages I don't know how to do it.

Edited by CrosshatchDave

I do not think you can, but you can edit them and leave them blank or with a note that says "Duplicate post deleted" or something like that.

As for pens... I think you've started on a dangerous path :D here: when I sketch I find that a medium width nib is the most versatile, but if I want detail, a Fine or Extra-fine is much better, and if I want to fill larger areas or get bolder lines, a B or BB. Which means that if you like it you may end up purchasing several pens.

That is not talking of brush pens. The Kuretake brush pens with natural hair are deemed a great (if not the best) option by many for the control they give and come at a very affordable price. I got a red lacquer Kuretake DP-141-13C and ended getting another two Kuretake million years maki-e so I could have different inks loaded.

The later is the worse: once one starts wanting to have various inks loaded simultaneously, the amount of pens quickly multiplies.

Anyway, all the best for your new journey.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

Pilot Falcon Soft Extra Fine + Platinum Carbon has been my sketching combo for years.   This pen is dead reliable, always starts, and is a great sketching experience.  I've had this Falcon for five years with Carbon and never cleaned it once (not really recommended lol).I generally use multi-media paper with a bit of texture.

falconart.jpeg

Great artwork, sbalderrama!  I've got a Falcon with a SF nib too, and love it.  Gonna have to look into the ink now (for a couple of reasons, not the least of which because a friend who does calligraphy was looking for better ink to use on pergamenata (vegetable parchment paper) and was picking my brain a couple of months ago about pens (she doesn't like the Pilot Parallels because they're TOO broad for her, and was looking into the Pilot Plumix pens to recommend to beginners; I showed her my Metropolitan with the stub nib the other night because I think they're a little sturdier, being metal bodied).  She's going to give me a piece of perga for me to see what inks work well on it (she also didn't like the ink in the cartridges that come with the Parallels, which is apparently a slightly different formula in order to facilitate mixing the inks).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I know someone who uses a Pilot PO nib for detailed work. According to her, it is one of the best nibs for doing this.

What is a PO nib?  I haven't come across the term before?

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

9 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

What is a PO nib?  I haven't come across the term before?

Po is short for posting nib. A specialty nib from pilot offered on the Pilot 742/743/921. It writes an EF line close to EEF, very smooth. It was created to write on post cards back in the day, since it was cheaper to send a post card than in actual letter in Japan. Very good on cheap paper too.

So is it an equivalent to a manifold nib (although those come in different widths -- at least the vintage Esterbrook ones did) that is extra-rigid?  The manifold nibs were designed to work when you were making carbon copies.  Or is it just a superfine nib so you can write very small?

8 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

So is it an equivalent to a manifold nib (although those come in different widths -- at least the vintage Esterbrook ones did) that is extra-rigid?  The manifold nibs were designed to work when you were making carbon copies.  Or is it just a superfine nib so you can write very small?

Im not familiar with manifold nibs, or what a manifold nib actually is. It is superfine, and its purpose is to write on cheap papers without feathering/bleedthrough.

Like I said.  They're super-rigid and were designed to be able to write through several layers including carbon paper to make copies of documents (don't know if you're old enough to remember when credit card receipts had the carbon paper layer in between customer copy and the store copy of the receipt).  

I just looked at a list of Esterbrook nib sizes/numbers and the "manifold" nibs tend to be the XX60 and XX61 numbers (although there's a XX50 and a XX64 nib in the list as well):

http://www.richardspens.com/ref/nibs/renew_point.htm

Looks as if the "manifold nibs are: 1461, 2460, 2461, 2464, 5461, 8461, 9460, 9461, and 9650 (all except the last one are designated as "rigid" + the width in the column for the "style" of nib, as opposed to just being "firm").

22 hours ago, TitoThePencilPimp said:

Po is short for posting nib. A specialty nib from pilot offered on the Pilot 742/743/921. It writes an EF line close to EEF, very smooth. It was created to write on post cards back in the day, since it was cheaper to send a post card than in actual letter in Japan. Very good on cheap paper too.

That the Pilot Posting nib was created for postcards is an oft repeated myth.  "Posting" is also the act of recording entries in a financial ledger.  The myth is probably fueled by the fact that the nib also works well for postcards, and that the other use of the word "posting" is mostly lost, along with those paper ledgers.

You can read more on another FPN thread that has reference to an article published by Pilot in 1926.  A couple of posts down from this you can find the English translation. 

On 12/16/2022 at 11:22 PM, dipper said:

A "Posting" nib, as the name is currently used, has downward curved tines.

I think they look rather weird. But Gourmet Pens find the Pilot PO nib to be "attractive" in the review, with images, that is linked below:

http://www.gourmetpens.com/2013/09/review-pilot-custom-heritage-912-10-po.html?m=1

Okay, thanks.  I think I know what those are now.  I don't have one of those types of nibs.  (I think of them as being sort of the opposite of a fude nib....)