EFNIR: De Atramentis Jane Austen

LizEF

Extra Fine Nib Ink Review: De Atramentis Jane Austen

This is review #209 in my series. Here's the YouTube video:

Post-recording notes: Cleaning was very quick and easy.  This is a medium-dark green that's neither strongly blue-leaning nor strongly yellow-leaning. The cameras had a hard time with it. :( Once again, dry time is drastically different between testing and during the review.  I'm splitting the difference and saying it's 35 seconds (9 seconds in testing, over 45 in the review).

Zoomed in photo (Text is too dark and not quite the right shade of green. :()
large.DeAtramentisJaneAustenZ.jpg.5062426802713d02aa1dbb40bef3ae7c.jpg

Screenshot (Fairly close.)
large.DeAtramentisJaneAusten.jpg.26754042370813d16f7b0f0a3548e0e5.jpg

Scan of Completed Review (This is the closest to the right color.)
large.DeAtramentisJaneAustenS.jpg.6e166181698e88a52634fd68df0f7f2b.jpg

Absorbent Paper Close-up (top is puzzle paper like thick newsprint, bottom is old 20lb copy paper) (AP: not quite the right shade; CP: all wrong.)
large.DeAtramentisJaneAustenAP.jpg.7206f72a7f883c544bbaaf19ef08705d.jpg

Line width (The "T" in "Dry Time". Magnification is 100x. The grid is 100x100µm. The scale is 330µm, with eleven divisions of 30µm each. The line width for this ink is roughly 282µm. With 209 inks measured, the average line width is 295µm.)
large.DeAtramentisJaneAustenLW.jpg.e4bdf45388fa9e53c09b80ab5863aff1.jpg

Microscope image (100x. Lots of fracture lines going on there at the edge of the cover slip.)
large.DeAtramentisJaneAustenSmear.jpg.867a02dd3f2a9b7c5e70b37c0829cb85.jpg

Previous Review: Jacques Herbin Gris de Houle.

Images also available on Instagram: @zilxodarap.

Want to influence the inky sequence? Take the "next ink" poll.

View a list of my inks, complete with review results in a google sheet.

Need to catch up on The Adventures of Quin and Makhabesh? Find the whole story here.

Hope you enjoy. Comments appreciated!

PS: Interacting with readers / viewers has become my favorite part of this reviewing business. :) Therefore, to increase the options there, I got myself a PO Box for Christmas.  You'll find the address in the "About Me" part of my profile. If you are so inclined, I would love to hear from you (or receive ink samples, or whatever).  (Please note the dangers of sending ink in winter and consider waiting a few months, or leaving room for expansion...)

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• Sailor Kenshin

• yazeh

• Misfit

Top Posters In This Topic

A vertical landscape!  👍🏻  Pointy light thingie (a la Studio Ghibli's Howl's Moving Castle)!  👍🏻  Hope for Makhabesh!  👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

As for the ink itself….

Wonder why the differing ink-test and written-review dry times?  you have noted that more than once.  Possibly the feed gets more saturated after the test.  Or something or other.

At any rate, this ink reminds me a bit of Diamine Umber, which I at first liked, but ultimately didn't replenish because it seemed too flat and un-shading.

Love the quote.  

@LizEF, thanks as always for the review and story.  Oooo…a PO box….

Oh, and PS, the ink color also reminds me of the dusty green attained with my 90% diluted Noodlers Bad Green Gator.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Great review @LizEF :thumbup:

This is the type of green, I love to hate ;)

What no Jane Austen quote? And poor Makhabesh, what's going on? Will we have a resolution by Christmas :D

1 hour ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

A vertical landscape!  👍🏻  Pointy light thingie (a la Studio Ghibli's Howl's Moving Castle)!  👍🏻  Hope for Makhabesh!  👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

:)

Wonder why the differing ink-test and written-review dry times?  you have noted that more than once.  Possibly the feed gets more saturated after the test.  Or something or other.

More than once, but not always - it's annoying! :D  I have to assume it has to do with feed saturation, but I follow a pretty standardized practice for both the review and when I do the test dry-time (I do that so I know how many seconds to allot during the review - I always add extra because so many inks have done this).  My suspicion is that it may be the wetter inks that do this, because they will re-saturate the feed faster.  But there are so many variables that it's hard to be sure. :(  (And I'm not disciplined enough to eliminate all the other variables. :blush: )

Love the quote.

:) Me too, even if it's really a distortion over time from a variety of sources.

@LizEF, thanks as always for the review and story.

You're very welcome!

Oooo…a PO box….

:D  Like I said, I wanted to add another option for interaction.  No pressure applied on either side, just out there for folks who want to use it.

Oh, and PS, the ink color also reminds me of the dusty green attained with my 90% diluted Noodlers Bad Green Gator.

Never tried that one - and 90% water or 90% BGG?  (With Noodler's, one can't be sure! :lol: )

33 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Great review @LizEF :thumbup:

:)  Thanks!

33 minutes ago, yazeh said:

This is the type of green, I love to hate ;)

:lol:  Definitely not murky enough for me.

34 minutes ago, yazeh said:

What no Jane Austen quote?

Right?  Missed opportunity.  Not sure what I was thinking.  :rolleyes:

34 minutes ago, yazeh said:

And poor Makhabesh, what's going on? Will we have a resolution by Christmas :D

It's very soap-opera-esque, isn't it? :lol: I should have cut this scene entirely and just gone to next week's, but the video was already recorded by the time I realized that. :(  You will have a resolution on 13 December 2022.  (Yes, 2022, not 2023. ;) )  Next week's scene is better than this one (not that that's saying much).

I just uploaded videos and scheduled their "releases" through 03 January 2023 - that's how far ahead I am.  (Don't want to have to miss a month or more of review-posting again.  And putting them on early acts like a backup - no worries about my computer crashing.  And if I keel over tomorrow, at least you guys will be able to see as much as I finished, on YouTube anyway...)

Can't remember if I mentioned previously, but I've now spent about 4 days (not continuous) coding some automation for processing reviews.  Today I'm going to add in the story text for each review to my database - first have to import it, then add a GUI for editing, then add the story text to the export routine that generates the text for all the different places I post my review (website, FPN, reddit, Instagram, YouTube, ink spreadsheet)...  Anywho, it's making the mundane bits faster and easier.  Apparently, I plan to keep going - until I keel over. :D

Now I have to go shovel snow.  I'll be back in an hour - if I don't keel over in said snow... :P

58 minutes ago, LizEF said:

:)

More than once, but not always - it's annoying! :D  I have to assume it has to do with feed saturation, but I follow a pretty standardized practice for both the review and when I do the test dry-time (I do that so I know how many seconds to allot during the review - I always add extra because so many inks have done this).  My suspicion is that it may be the wetter inks that do this, because they will re-saturate the feed faster.  But there are so many variables that it's hard to be sure. :(  (And I'm not disciplined enough to eliminate all the other variables. :blush: )

:) Me too, even if it's really a distortion over time from a variety of sources.

You're very welcome!

:D  Like I said, I wanted to add another option for interaction.  No pressure applied on either side, just out there for folks who want to use it.

Never tried that one - and 90% water or 90% BGG?  (With Noodler's, one can't be sure! :lol: )

Totally 90% water.  Careful shoveling now!

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

12 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Totally 90% water.

Wow!  Only Noodler's. :D

12 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Careful shoveling now!

Shoveling and snow-blower duty complete!  I now have an important PSA for all readers:  Stop aging!  Just stop!  Right now!  If you fail to heed my warning, I cannot be held responsible for the consequences!  ;) :D  (That said, thank [Unmentionable Omnipotent Being] for ski socks, ear muffs, silk glove-liners, and mp3-players. :D 🥰 )

4 hours ago, LizEF said:

:lol:  Definitely not murky enough for me.

Thought so!

4 hours ago, LizEF said:

Right?  Missed opportunity.  Not sure what I was thinking.  :rolleyes:

Next time!

4 hours ago, LizEF said:

It's very soap-opera-esque, isn't it? :lol: I should have cut this scene entirely and just gone to next week's, but the video was already recorded by the time I realized that. :(  You will have a resolution on 13 December 2022.  (Yes, 2022, not 2023. ;) )  Next week's scene is better than this one (not that that's saying much).

Looking forward to the resolution. It's already heroic to write on the spot. Soap Opera writers have the benefit of rewrite, to drag it even the longer :D

4 hours ago, LizEF said:

I just uploaded videos and scheduled their "releases" through 03 January 2023 - that's how far ahead I am.  (Don't want to have to miss a month or more of review-posting again.  And putting them on early acts like a backup - no worries about my computer crashing.  And if I keel over tomorrow, at least you guys will be able to see as much as I finished, on YouTube anyway...)

I'm sure your mailbox will be keeling under all those samples of inks :D

4 hours ago, LizEF said:

Can't remember if I mentioned previously, but I've now spent about 4 days (not continuous) coding some automation for processing reviews.  Today I'm going to add in the story text for each review to my database - first have to import it, then add a GUI for editing, then add the story text to the export routine that generates the text for all the different places I post my review (website, FPN, reddit, Instagram, YouTube, ink spreadsheet)...  Anywho, it's making the mundane bits faster and easier.  Apparently, I plan to keep going - until I keel over. :D

Wow. I struggle with just posting the review. You're way tech savvy that I am...

4 hours ago, LizEF said:

Now I have to go shovel snow.  I'll be back in an hour - if I don't keel over in said snow... :P

Glad that the snow keeled ;)

10 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Looking forward to the resolution. It's already heroic to write on the spot. Soap Opera writers have the benefit of rewrite, to drag it even the longer :D

:)  Well, I don't write it on the spot any more, though I do sometimes tweak it on the spot.  I'll trust that you know more about those soap opera writers than I do. ;)

12 minutes ago, yazeh said:

I'm sure your mailbox will be keeling under all those samples of inks :D

:D Hopefully letters / cards, too.  Will be fun to interact even more.

12 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Wow. I struggle with just posting the review. You're way tech savvy that I am...

Well, I was a programmer until I quit at the end of 2018.  Now I only code for my convenience, and I have to say, I do enjoy it - it's its own form of story-telling.  And the addition of the story to the database, GUI, and export is complete - life is now even more automated! :D

14 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Glad that the snow keeled ;)

:lol:  Me, too!  It was the nice, dry sort of snow that's not heavy and is easier to remove!  Not looking forward to whenever our first heavy, wet snowfall comes.  Even the snow-blower struggles with that.

Thanks as always @LizEF another fab review - even though you have left us in suspenders until next week...

No need to persuade me on this one, I use it a lot, especially in old Pelikans, where it matches the darker bindes really well. It's always well behaved, and mine seems to dry pretty fast. 

I don't envy you the snow. Horrible stuff.

27 minutes ago, mizgeorge said:

Thanks as always @LizEF another fab review

:) You're very welcome!

27 minutes ago, mizgeorge said:

even though you have left us in suspenders until next week...

:lol: (Two weeks, actually.  Sorry. :blush: )

28 minutes ago, mizgeorge said:

No need to persuade me on this one, I use it a lot, especially in old Pelikans, where it matches the darker bindes really well. It's always well behaved, and mine seems to dry pretty fast. 

Yes, those green-stripe Pelikans would be a very good match!

28 minutes ago, mizgeorge said:

I don't envy you the snow. Horrible stuff.

:lol:  Well, without it, we'd all die of thirst in the summer.  Unfortunately, if we want it to fall on the mountains, we have to put up with it occasionally falling in the valley, too. :(  (Camelot this ain't. ;) )

I like snow, but dry is definitely better if you're the one doing the shovelling! 

When I first bought this ink, I wasn't convinced I'd really like the colour, but I couldn't resist the name.  Turns out I love the ink.  It's one of a very few I will definitely replace if I ever finish the bottle.  

"To read without also writing is to sleep." - St. Jerome

54 minutes ago, knarflj said:

I like snow, but dry is definitely better if you're the one doing the shovelling! 

:) Exactly!

54 minutes ago, knarflj said:

When I first bought this ink, I wasn't convinced I'd really like the colour, but I couldn't resist the name.  Turns out I love the ink.  It's one of a very few I will definitely replace if I ever finish the bottle.  

:)  It's always nice when you find an ink you really love!

On 11/29/2022 at 4:58 PM, LizEF said:

:)  Well, I don't write it on the spot any more, though I do sometimes tweak it on the spot.  I'll trust that you know more about those soap opera writers than I do. ;)

Back when I was in college, a woman in some of my art classes said that her dad was on of the writers for General Hospital -- which was HUGELY popular in the 1970s and 1980s, in particular (if you were in the projection TV alcove in the Student Center, you could tell when it was getting towards 3 PM, because suddenly there would be a couple of dozen -- or more -- students there, instead of just a couple, because GH was going to be airing shortly....  The woman in my classes said that most soaps went through 50-60 pages of script per week, whereas GH went through 80-90 (!) pages of script per week.  As a result, there was just more happening in the various plots on that show, as compared to that of other soaps (this was also during the heyday of the original "Luke and Laura" story arc, which in of itself was incredibly popular with audiences).  

Don't know which plot lines the woman's dad worked on, though -- she never said.... 

As for me, I kinda gave up on soaps when we moved to our current house.  We had such a lousy signal for broadcast TV (especially the Pgh ABC affiliate) that there was only one room on the second floor where I could get ANY sort of signal for that station with the rabbit ears on my little 12" B&W TV from my dorm room, until we got a satellite dish.  And watched one of the soaps on another network for a while, but gave up when I realized I only cared about the storylines that tended to air every other day (and when one character got "possessed by the Devil" -- which meant that the actress got to wear red contacts and chew the scenery a lot, I pretty much gave up on soaps entirely.  Especially when I discovered that for a couple of years DirecTV had a contract with SiriusXM for the music channels at the top of the dial, and I could get Deep Tracks (and one of the DJs on it was the brother of the guy who was program director of the station I listened to from middle school through out of college until I got married) -- and Deep Tracks DEFINITELY played some of the groups I used to hear on the old WNEW-FM in NYC....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thank you @LizEFfor the review and for the story part - good to read, the party is on their feet again! ... and has light! 😊

I also like the rotated microscopic forest! ;) with the big sailing ship behind (wherever the water level may be) ;)

I had already an eye on the Jane Austen ink but hesitated as I have enough green inks of different hues. However, this one seems to be a more saturated (and a bit more green-leaning) version of R&K Alt-Goldgrün which can make it useable with F and EF nibs leaning more to the dry side.

(something new learned today - thank you LizEF!)

One life!

6 hours ago, InesF said:

Thank you @LizEFfor the review and for the story part - good to read, the party is on their feet again! ... and has light! 😊

6 hours ago, InesF said:

I also like the rotated microscopic forest! ;) with the big sailing ship behind (wherever the water level may be) ;)

:lol:  Hmm, like watching clouds.

6 hours ago, InesF said:

However, this one seems to be a more saturated (and a bit more green-leaning) version of R&K Alt-Goldgrün

Hmm.  It's a lot more blue than Alt-Goldgrün.  But definitely darker and more saturated.  With nothing else around, it looks green-green.  With most of my other greens, it looks blue-leaning.  It's closest (as far as my own collection) to Pelikan Edelstein Olivine.

6 hours ago, InesF said:

(something new learned today - thank you LizEF!)