Safari Colours 2022

jchch1950

Lamy has marketed, in the tear 2022 ,four different versions of Safari special editions: Strawberry,Cream ,Blue with red Clip and White with black clip. Is Lamy only trying to increase their sales? Is Lamy answering the petitions in the social media? How many Safari special editions will be produced next year? Are collectors willing to increase their Safari's pens at a such fast rate( in the past they were three in the Pastels and Candy editions)?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jchch1950

• austollie

• arcfide

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think an interview with some of Lamy's big managers said that they initially didn't want to or didn't have a lot of confidence in the concept of lots of special colors for their pens, and certainly not having lots of releases all the time. He said that over time it became obvious that the demand was there and that they've had to respond to what the market wants, if I recall correctly. 

Honestly, it seems like people *do* love to collect the Safaris, either all the time, or at least, they like to find the ones that have the colors that they like. It doesn't seem like the demand is waning at all, to me, and I would hope Lamy is trying to figure out how to increase their sales! People seem to adore the collectible, affordable Safari, and so I suspect Lamy could do worse in serving their market than producing more color variations and options for them. Sailor seems to be doing okay in this respect as well. 

10 hours ago, arcfide said:

it seems like people *do* love to collect the Safaris, either all the time, or at least, they like to find the ones that have the colors that they like.

Well, that sums up what I like to do.  As a collector of 1970s and 1980s student and office cartridge filler fountain pens, the Lamy Safari really speaks to me.  I like the simple and clean lines.  Given that ABS plastic, which student pens are frequently made of, deteriorates over time, I think that it's great that I can still purchase a 1980s design today.

As far as the special edition colours are concerned, I buy the Safaris that speak to me (Petrol, Savannah Green and many others) and pass on the ones that don't (e.g. the current strawberry and cream).  What I particularly appreciate about the special editions is that they are sold at the same price as the standard version (unlike Lamy's approach to the L2K, for example).

So, for as long as Lamy releases Safari FPs with special edition colours that appeal to me and at reasonable prices, I will be a customer.  What I liked even more than special edition Safari FPs, was the concept of a set with matching ink (e.g. Dark Lilac and Petrol).  I missed out on the Dark Lilac ink (I bought Diamine Pansy, the nearest thing available, according to a post in this forum), but I continue to use and love the Petrol edition ink.