Hi from Aberdeen, Scotland

Penmuncher

Hello, I have just arrived in these parts and my interest in pens is but a few weeks old. Well, that is not strictly true, it's more accurate to say my interest has lain dormant for over 50 years. I stopped using fountain pens (then it was a Parker as I recall) in the 1970s while a student at university and bought my first new pen only a week or so back.

That new pen was a Lamy Safari bought online. A couple of boxes of ink cartridges  - blue and green - followed a day or so later. Now each evening I prowl EBay looking for vintage bargains. I fear I will be a penoholic soon.

For sure I will learn lots around here and I very much look forward to it.

The site has a great look and feel to it - congratulations to all involved.

PM 

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Penmuncher

• Misfit

• kestrel

• Horseflesh

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello and welcome to FPN.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

Welcome to FPN

Mark from the Latin Marcus follower of mars, the god of war.

Yorkshire Born, Yorkshire Bred. 

my current favourite author is Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

largebronze-letter-exc.pngflying-letter-exc.png

Hello and a warm welcome to you from Manchester......:W2FPN:

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

A special welcome from one whose ancestors emigrated from Aberdeen and who still has cousins in Aberdeen and Anstruther.  Enjoy the site.  We have lots of friendly and knowledgeable members who will answer questions and grease that slippery slope into pen addiction. 

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Greetings from Texas, USA and welcome to FPN! 

Cliff

“The only thing most people do better than anyone else is read their own handwriting.”  John Adams

Welcome to the community. Nice choice in the Lamy Safari. If you buy a few different sizes of nibs for it, it’s like having three pens on one (depending on buying two extra nibs).  Removing the nib, is as easy as using scotch tape, and pulling away and down. There are videos showing how to do this. I’ve done it while the pen was inked, which makes it trickier to attach the tape. 😆

Posted Image

3 hours ago, Misfit said:

Welcome to the community. Nice choice in the Lamy Safari. If you buy a few different sizes of nibs for it, it’s like having three pens on one (depending on buying two extra nibs).  Removing the nib, is as easy as using scotch tape, and pulling away and down. There are videos showing how to do this. I’ve done it while the pen was inked, which makes it trickier to attach the tape. 😆

Cheers, Misfit, I will certainly give that a go further down the line. 🙂

7 hours ago, kestrel said:

A special welcome from one whose ancestors emigrated from Aberdeen and who still has cousins in Aberdeen and Anstruther.  Enjoy the site.  We have lots of friendly and knowledgeable members who will answer questions and grease that slippery slope into pen addiction. 

Oh wow - a small world indeed kestrel. Quite a number of my family emigrated to the States from both Ireland and Scotland, most ending up in Rochester - many worked for Kodak.  I sense this is a friendly, positive community and I am enjoying my visits, thanks. whether I need another expensive rabbit hole to dive into is another matter mind you! Warm regards PM

4 hours ago, Penmuncher said:

Oh wow - a small world indeed kestrel. Quite a number of my family emigrated to the States from both Ireland and Scotland, most ending up in Rochester - many worked for Kodak.  I sense this is a friendly, positive community and I am enjoying my visits, thanks. whether I need another expensive rabbit hole to dive into is another matter mind you! Warm regards PM

Small world indeed.  I have family in Rochester, as well.  Beautiful area with winters that can rival your part of Scotland. 

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! So glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

@Penmuncher I too have Scottish and Irish ancestry. On my paternal line, my Dad’s maternal line goes back to Scotland. Unfortunately I only saw Loch Lomond, and no town. One of those ancestors fought in a South Carolina regiment during the American Revolution. The Irish ancestry is through my Mom’s side. Closer relatives, or I should say known closer relatives are Danish on my Dad’s paternal line. 

Posted Image

8 hours ago, Misfit said:

@Penmuncher I too have Scottish and Irish ancestry. On my paternal line, my Dad’s maternal line goes back to Scotland. Unfortunately I only saw Loch Lomond, and no town. One of those ancestors fought in a South Carolina regiment during the American Revolution. The Irish ancestry is through my Mom’s side. Closer relatives, or I should say known closer relatives are Danish on my Dad’s paternal line. 

Wow, if I have it right, your Dad's Mum's family crossed the pond in the very early days then.  My Mum's half sisters settled in the States in the early 1900s.  Except for one who returned to Ireland with her father when he was refused entry as he was suffering from dementia.  My Mum emigrated to Scotland from Kinsale in Ireland, crossing on a fishing boat with her father and mother. Her father had drunk his way through a chain of shoe shops his family owned and the family came to Scotland to flee their debts.   Not a history to be proud of I guess. 🙂

Hello from Seattle! When I was a kid, my grandparents lived in Aberdeen for work and I visited many times... Fond memories. Small world!