Just found an Esterbrook. Which model?

pingis

1 hour ago, pingis said:

Now I have had a look at some tutorials on Youtube. It seems as if there is a lot to get and to keep in mind when working on these pens. I still have to make up my mind. Should I restore it or not...

It could be something as simple as a new sac.  The way to tell is to remove the section.  This would require soaking the nib and section in a small container of water with just a couple of drops of dish soap just deep enough to submerge the nib, section, and a small portion of the cap threads.  The soak should at least be overnight.  Water will migrate into the joint between the barrel and section and soften the dried ink enough that, after a prolonged soak, the section can be wiggled out of the barrel exposing the remains of the sac which can be broken up and shaken out of the barrel enough to determine if the pressure bar is still good...most often it is.

I've simplified this somewhat but removing an Esterbrook section and replacing the sac is relatively easy as pen repairs go.  If you decide to take the plunge, let us know. There are plenty here who have done this and can provide direction and support.

Cliff

“The only thing most people do better than anyone else is read their own handwriting.”  John Adams

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pingis

• Bristol24

• Misfit

• crescentfiller

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, pingis said:

Now I have had a look at some tutorials on Youtube. It seems as if there is a lot to get and to keep in mind when working on these pens. I still have to make up my mind. Should I restore it or not...

You could send it to me, and I'll restore it for you.

9 minutes ago, gweimer1 said:

Wow. What can I say? Yes please. Is there a way to send private messages here so addresses can be exchanged?

3 minutes ago, pingis said:

I just found another Esterbrook. Now I have two. But I guess the yellow one doesn't count😊

TbuFvseZT1mhjuQBB4HziQ.jpg

I have some later Esterbrook ballpoints, felt-tip markers and a Flo-Master.

10 hours ago, gweimer1 said:

That...is a kind offer and speaks volumes.  Not to be nosey but do keep us in the loop on this.

Cliff

“The only thing most people do better than anyone else is read their own handwriting.”  John Adams

15 hours ago, gweimer1 said:

One other thing to note - what style lever is it?   If it's what they called the spade lever (flat end), then the pen is likely a '40s model.   The spoon lever (rounded end) may be a '50s pen.
And, yes, everyone should have at least one Esterbrook pen in their collection.  At least one.  😎

Thank you for sharing this. It’s good to keep learning about Esterbrook pens. I’ve always thought what is so intriguing about these vintage pens is the mystery of who owned it before it came to you. And where there multiple owners?  I’ll never know about mine as all came from eBay. The good thing is we all give these old pens new use, which is good of us. 

Posted Image

10 hours ago, pingis said:

Wow. What can I say? Yes please. Is there a way to send private messages here so addresses can be exchanged?

Click on Gary’s name. (@gweimer1)That will take you to his profile page. There should be an envelope icon that will let you send him a private message. 

Posted Image

8 hours ago, Misfit said:

I’ve always thought what is so intriguing about these vintage pens is the mystery of who owned it before it came to you. And where there multiple owners?  I’ll never know about mine as all came from eBay.

'Same here.  None of my vintage pens were inherited.  All were purchased on eBay but I was fortunate to learn from one seller that the Parker 51 I purchased had belonged to her Dad who bought it new in 1949.  The rest I just look at and ponder "who owned this and what was written with it?" "Where did they live?  Where has this pen been? "  I think for me, it is the reason I am drawn to vintage.  Inheriting a vintage pen, restoring it, and then using it would be the ultimate connection with the past and family that is gone.

Cliff

On 11/23/2022 at 9:56 AM, crescentfiller said:

I trust you mean, at least one of EVERY COLOR....

:lticaptd:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

10 hours ago, Bristol24 said:

'Same here.  None of my vintage pens were inherited.  All were purchased on eBay but I was fortunate to learn from one seller that the Parker 51 I purchased had belonged to her Dad who bought it new in 1949.  The rest I just look at and ponder "who owned this and what was written with it?" "Where did they live?  Where has this pen been? "  I think for me, it is the reason I am drawn to vintage.  Inheriting a vintage pen, restoring it, and then using it would be the ultimate connection with the past and family that is gone.

Cliff

I've read posts from people who get completely freaked out by a pen having a name or initials engraved on it (as in: "oh, it was someone else's pen -- ewwww...").  And of course the c-worders think that drops the value.

Me?  Since the majority of pens I've acquired are vintage (and almost NONE of them are NOS, which is pretty much going to be too expensive for me to afford) the engraving just makes it more interesting, and I've tried in some cases to find out information about the original owner.  Like you, I think the history is interesting -- more so than if it's in pristine, unused condition.

And yes, I use the vintage pens.  The only ones I don't use are the ones I haven't gotten repaired yet....  Because what fun is having a bunch of pens in a display case?  Better to buy and use them (I write and draw with mine) than wasting money for the sake of showing off how much disposable income one's got....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

3 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

Better to buy and use them (I write and draw with mine) than wasting money for the sake of showing off how much disposable income one's got....

Ruth, you and I are on the same page.  My hope is that one day we have the opportunity to meet and exchange stories and experiences.  Until then the written word will have to do.

Cliff

Esterbrook pens are look after by so many collectors. They are very dependable ,many colours to please most persons, nice designs of the plastics,easy to repair, many types of nibs,etc. If the concept of the Esterbrook pens can be replied now(good price,many nibs available and easy to interchange,variety of colours and uncomplicated ink filling) it can be a market success. To dream is not prohibited.😉

11 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

And yes, I use the vintage pens.

Because what fun is having a bunch of pens in a display case?  Better to buy and use them (I write and draw with mine) than wasting money for the sake of showing off how much disposable income one's got....

I'm not sure it's necessary to be quite so absolute about the matter, nor why it should matter what someone else chooses to do. I'm a big fan of pluralism.

I have hundreds of vintage pens. I've sold many hundreds more. I buy 98% of them in the wild. I use many, if not most of them. There are some I do not use and, yes, they sit in a case! Oh, the horror! I bought a Parker Vacuum Filler Ripley for $35 that I found in the wild . I do not use it. I bought a Periwinkle Sheaffer Snorkel set, mint in box, chalk marked, in original cellophane wrappers for $10 and didn't use it. I have two Parker 51 Empire sets that I never use; I paid less than the cost of an Esterbrook SJ for both of them. I have a couple dozen more Parker 51s I use all the time. I bought a mint condition Parker Ivorine at a country auction for $12.50 and I do not use it. I bought a Waterman 418 for $350 at the same auction; I do not use it. I do regularly use a 412, 452, and 412S. Does this mean that I'm wasting money or that I'm showing off my disposable income? HEY LOOK. I can spend $10 on a vintage Sheaffer set and let it sit on a shelf for years! Should I have opened and used a $400 Periwinkle set? Perhaps. Perhaps not. (What set that price was its unused, unopened condition!) Instead, I sold it. Do I care if the the new owner uses it or is "showing off how much disposable income" he has by not using it? Not one bit. Should I call him names? Probably not. Is there a definitive, universal answer to the "use/don't use" question? No.

Lighten up folks!

2 hours ago, crescentfiller said:

Do I care if the the new owner uses it or is "showing off how much disposable income" he has by not using it? Not one bit. Should I call him names? Probably not. Is there a definitive, universal answer to the "use/don't use" question?

I don't believe there was any name calling and regret causing offense...that was not my intent but I do wish to make an observation by revealing a little about myself. 

The most I've ever paid for a pen was $84 and I got a deal. It was the Parker 51 I mentioned earlier...the one I bought from the daughter of it's original owner.  The most I've ever spent on any one pen (a 1946 Vacumatic after purchase) was right at $175 for a replacement nib and two visits to a repairer for restoration work that, at the time, was beyond my level of experience.  I have pens that might approach $300-$350 in value but I use them, did not pay anywhere near that for them, and am unlikely to sell them.  I will be selling an uninked "51"set with a functioning Liquid Lead pencil.  Why?  Because I don't see the value in keeping it if I'm not going to use it but I do recognize that someone else might treasure it.  Maybe someday I will pay $450 or more for a pen but I don't see it, at least not right now...but that could change.  The only pens in my collection that are not used from time to time are the ones waiting for restoration.  In fountain pens, at least for now, my focus is historic yet utilitarian so I guess I'm not in your league.  As the song goes, to each his own.

Cliff

33 minutes ago, Bristol24 said:

I don't believe there was any name calling and regret causing offense...that was not my intent but I do wish to make an observation by revealing a little about myself. 

The most I've ever paid for a pen was $84 and I got a deal. It was the Parker 51 I mentioned earlier...the one I bought from the daughter of it's original owner.  The most I've ever spent on any one pen (a 1946 Vacumatic after purchase) was right at $175 for a replacement nib and two visits to a repairer for restoration work that, at the time, was beyond my level of experience.  I have pens that might approach $300-$350 in value but I use them, did not pay anywhere near that for them, and am unlikely to sell them.  I will be selling an uninked "51"set with a functioning Liquid Lead pencil.  Why?  Because I don't see the value in keeping it if I'm not going to use it but I do recognize that someone else might treasure it.  Maybe someday I will pay $450 or more for a pen but I don't see it, at least not right now...but that could change.  The only pens in my collection that are not used from time to time are the ones waiting for restoration.  In fountain pens, at least for now, my focus is historic yet utilitarian so I guess I'm not in your league.  As the song goes, to each his own.

Cliff

Haha! I'm fairly sure I have no league! I do know I'm cheap as hell and that's why nearly all of my pens are from the wild. And, I certainly didn't suggest (or mean to suggest) that you called anyone any names. As you'll note, what I quoted is not from your post. And I agree with you, and wrote as much, "to each his own." Enjoy your pens Cliff!

1 hour ago, crescentfiller said:

Enjoy your pens Cliff!

Thank you...and you as well.  I have two pens that I really would like to restore but am stalled: a beautiful Sheaffer 875 Balance with the military clip and a Waterman's Corinth.  The Sheaffer's section has (so far) refused to budge and, having broken one once before (a military clip 875), I am reluctant to force the issue.  The Waterman's looks totally mint but has a cracked sac nipple (very thin plastic there, relying on the feed for support) which, of course, leaks.  I keep putting them off...

Best regards,

Cliff

On 11/21/2022 at 2:40 PM, pen lady said:

One final thing, if you decide to re-sac the pen yourself, do not unscrew the nib before you attempt to remove the section from the barrel.  Do not ask me how I know that this leads to disaster.😨

I concur. A very generous chap (gweimer1) in this group saved me when I destroyed my section.