Tips for my first pen show!

Lunoxmos

Hi everyone! I'll be going to the Melbourne Pen Show in a few days time, and as it will be my first pen show, I'm reaching out to the community for some tips and advice. Can I bring my own pens? Are we allowed to negotiate prices with certain stallholders? How should I store my purchases?  I'll put it out to you if you have anymore suggestions.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wahl

• Bristol24

• Paul-in-SF

• Lunoxmos

There are YouTube videos on this topic that might be helpful, and also video walk-throughs by Mike Matteson and maybe others, to show you what to expect in terms of types of stuff offered, and general layout of tables, and so on. 

I've only been to a couple of pen shows myself, and I don't know how different they might be in Australia. In general, have a budget, and treat buying vintage differently from buying new pens. New pens (with a few exceptions) will likely be there for the whole show; but if you see that one vintage pen you've been looking for, it may not be there later. If you're going to carry any kind of backpack (useful for smaller purchases) make it small and something like a sling bag that can be worn in front, that way you don't become a menace in crowded aisles. When I've made larger purchases, I've carried them right away out to my car and locked them in the trunk. I imagine you can always try negotiating prices, especially for vintage pens, but no guarantees. In the shows I've been to, vintage pen sellers prefer (or only accept) cash. As always, if you're carrying large amounts of cash, be cautious, folks at pen shows are no more honest than anyone else. Good luck, I hope you have a good time (so you'll keep going to shows). 

My first, rather flippant, impulse was to say "leave your wallet at home" but, hey, it's a pen show and you'll want to buy a pen so take some cash, say $200. If you have any pens you'd like to get rid of, take them and see if any of the sellers might be interested but don't expect top dollar as they will turn turn around and sell them and need to make a profit. Finally, have fun!

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

On 11/17/2022 at 4:14 AM, Lunoxmos said:

Hi everyone! I'll be going to the Melbourne Pen Show in a few days time, and as it will be my first pen show, I'm reaching out to the community for some tips and advice. Can I bring my own pens? Are we allowed to negotiate prices with certain stallholders? How should I store my purchases?  I'll put it out to you if you have anymore suggestions.

Never having had the occasion to attend a pen show, I can offer no advice.  However, I think a follow-up post giving your impressions following the show would truly be of benefit and interest to many, myself included.

Cliff

“The only thing most people do better than anyone else is read their own handwriting.”  John Adams

On 11/18/2022 at 4:43 AM, Bristol24 said:

Never having had the occasion to attend a pen show, I can offer no advice.  However, I think a follow-up post giving your impressions following the show would truly be of benefit and interest to many, myself included.

Cliff

Same here.  I like to pretend I'll go to a pen show one day, so can I live vicariously through you?

"Nothing is new under the sun!  Even the thing of which we say, “See, this is new!” has already existed in the ages that preceded us." Ecclesiastes

17 minutes ago, Checklist said:

Same here.  I like to pretend I'll go to a pen show one day, so can I live vicariously through you?

I don't know about the living vicariously aspect but I certainly would appreciate knowing what a first time show attendee thinks of the experience.  I've been to electronics shows, music trade shows, home shows, boat shows, and (heaven forbid) gun shows but never a fountain pen show.  I was at a goat ropping once but I digress...

Cliff

“The only thing most people do better than anyone else is read their own handwriting.”  John Adams

I have attended the Madrid Penshow since 2004, (average of 60 sellers) it´s basically as Paul said above.

If you are interested in specific pens, make a list, go as early as possible, visit all the tables, and take note of what interets you. Particularly if it´s a large show.

Otherwise you will end up confused as to what you saw where.

After two years plagued by the plague, I was looking forward to going to the Melbourne Pen Show. As the only pen show in Australia, it is a milestone every year.

It was a bit smaller than earlier years and, as I had no pen targets to seek out,  I found searching tables full of old fountain pens to be a chore.

Rows and rows of pens with limited descriptions and seemingly inflated prices took the joy out of returning to a pen show.

Maybe after three years I was jaded with pens and/or the world and could not lift myself.  Still, there's next year.