VijayGS

Titanium Ti, Atomic number 22 was discovered by William Gregor in 1791, Cornwall, GB. Martin Heinrich Klaproth a Prussian chemist named it Titanium after Titans (a group of 6 Male and 6 Female Pre Olympian Greek Gods). It was in 1932 William Justin Kroll introduced the Kroll process thus making Titanium available for commercial use. As of 2021, the four leading producers of titanium were China (52%), Japan (24%), Russia (16%) and Kazakhstan (7%).
Titanium is known for its high strength to weight ratio making it a strong metal with low density and anti corrosive properties. The melting point for Titanium is 1,668 °C making it one of the hardest material to work with for a FP nib. To the best of my knowledge, Parker after multiple unsuccessful attempts in tipping a Titanium nib came up with the Parker T1, The first Titanium nib pens in 1970 and the limited edition Parker 75 sporting Titanium nibs in the following years. The Parker T1 was discontinued in 1971. 

Bock is currently the leading manufacturer of tipped Titanium nibs but it’s always a pleasure to see Made in India Ti nibs moving up the ladder.

IMG_4218.thumb.jpeg.ab2af575938642509406ab7e5b6ec146.jpeg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VijayGS

• IlikeInksandIcannotlie

• ignord

• Loke

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How do you find the Indian Ti nibs compared to their steel counterparts, and if you have used one, the Bock Ti?

7 hours ago, IlikeInksandIcannotlie said:

How do you find the Indian Ti nibs compared to their steel counterparts, and if you have used one, the Bock Ti?

Bock Ti wins hands down. Nothing can beat the springiness that bock offers, however the Indian made Kanwrite(KW) Ti nibs are really good. They are definitely better than their steel counterparts in terms of stiffness and definitely provide a difference in the writing experience. You have the options of regular and flex on Ti nibs from the maker. I have been using the regular Ti nibs for my official work and they have proved to be flawless writers and a workhorse. The Magna Carta Ti nibs on the other hand are quite stiff and needs refinement. If you are willing to experiment I would suggest the Kanwrite nibs. I am sharing the webpage and contact details of the manufacturer. They can give a better insight on the nibs. Good luck and happy writing. Hope this helps.

https://kanpurwriters.com

kanpurwriters@gmail.com

Kanpurwriters

Mr. Sandeep Awasthi

Mobile: +91-9305456599, +91-9450329230

Mr. Pradeep Awasthi
Mobile: +91-9839032338

Thank you for sharing this - Having a look right away 🙂

Bock Ti are indeed great nibs and one of my favourite, currently enjoying a broad re-grinded in a stub which is fabulous!

Check out my website about Photography and Ink-making: WWW.LOKE.BE

5 hours ago, DrVijayGS said:

Bock Ti wins hands down. Nothing can beat the springiness that bock offers, however the Indian made Kanwrite(KW) Ti nibs are really good. They are definitely better than their steel counterparts in terms of stiffness and definitely provide a difference in the writing experience. You have the options of regular and flex on Ti nibs from the maker. I have been using the regular Ti nibs for my official work and they have proved to be flawless writers and a workhorse. The Magna Carta Ti nibs on the other hand are quite stiff and needs refinement. If you are willing to experiment I would suggest the Kanwrite nibs. I am sharing the webpage and contact details of the manufacturer. They can give a better insight on the nibs. Good luck and happy writing. Hope this helps.

https://kanpurwriters.com

kanpurwriters@gmail.com

Kanpurwriters

Mr. Sandeep Awasthi

Mobile: +91-9305456599, +91-9450329230

Mr. Pradeep Awasthi
Mobile: +91-9839032338

I have bought steel nibs from Kanwrite before, and I've liked them. They are very good, considering the price. I suppose I will try a Ti nib from Kanwrite one of these days.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2022 at 3:16 PM, DrVijayGS said:

The Magna Carta Ti nibs on the other hand are quite stiff and needs refinement.

Nodding in agreement, had to micromesh to get it to be a bit smoother, and the tines were really tight together when I got it. After some work, it feels ok.

I have a couple of Acriv Titanium nibs (made in Mumbai), they are quite interesting because instead of regular tipping, Acriv artisan folds the metal allow inwards to create the nib point. I never knew you could do that. They are really wet, I had to put them on ebonite feeders. But the feeling you get when you write with them *chefs kiss*. It doesn't feel anywhere similar to writing with a ball tipped nib, its a bit squeeky once in a while, but most of the time it feels like the nib is gliding over ice. The artisan says do not press it much, and I haven't so not much line variation by pressing, but the shape of the nip gives enough variations. Attaching a picture, I've fit it on my favorite Lotus Shikhar Stealth in Nikko Ebonite, this nib is called the cobra nib.

IMG_9211.thumb.jpeg.4cc3d6b148d73eb410d57bcc11ff1d15.jpeg

On 11/20/2022 at 9:54 PM, rnjn said:

I have a couple of Acriv Titanium nibs (made in Mumbai), they are quite interesting because instead of regular tipping, Acriv artisan folds the metal allow inwards to create the nib point.

The pen looks ravishing! They are called butterfly nibs. These nibs lack the true hard metal tips that one commonly sees on steel, Ti and gold nibs. Though these nibs provide a very smooth wet writing experience, applying pressure may decrease the life span of these nibs.  I am sharing a link on the Non tipped butterfly nibs for better insights. Hope this helps. Cheers 

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/368416-butterfly-nib/

10 hours ago, DrVijayGS said:

The pen looks ravishing! They are called butterfly nibs. These nibs lack the true hard metal tips that one commonly sees on steel, Ti and gold nibs. Though these nibs provide a very smooth wet writing experience, applying pressure may decrease the life span of these nibs.  I am sharing a link on the Non tipped butterfly nibs for better insights. Hope this helps. Cheers 

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/368416-butterfly-nib/

Thanks so much, this is very informative. perhaps Titanium will be a bit more durable over time compared to steel. Will enjoy till it lasts.

3 minutes ago, rnjn said:

Titanium will be a bit more durable

I was being pessimistic regarding the durability of the butterfly nibs. I've posted that from what i have heard and read. There are testimonies  on the butterfly nibs suggesting otherwise. However it's wise not to apply pressure on these nibs while writing and one may be amazed to see these nibs outlive the user. Good luck.