• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sailor Kenshin

• VillersCotterets

• A Smug Dill

• Mech-for-i

I ordered one over Thanksgiving weekend (woohoo! saved like $0.30...) and it arrived yesterday. It's a nice pen. Clearly wants to be a PGS but I'm ok with that. And the nib is a nice writing, no frills, fine nib. Is it just me or has Jinhao gotten a lot better at nib quality in the last year or so?

My yellow is here.  It's a beautiful, soft pastel, not a school bus or Pikachu yellow.

I tried drawing/releasing water and it did that fine… but the water came out blue!  

I guess they really do test their pens.  Now my dilemma is, what ink to use?

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

My Jinhao 82 finally arrived, I got the pastel blue with gold trims.  The pastel blue is really really pastel, soft looking.  

When I first cleaning it, blue inks come out, seems like recently Jinhao do test all their newer pen / nib, I've blue ink come out on Jinhao 80 too.

The nib is very very polished and shiny, which is quite good looking in the 2-tone colour.  I meant the nib face polish here.

Checked the nib under loupe, seems to be aligned well.  Writes quite smooth the first time, without need of adjustment.  I would say the ink flow is on the drier side.

When capping and uncapping, here's the place I can notice that this is indeed a cheap pen feel, there's some sort of vibration can be felt that make me feel the price point of this pen.  I mean, is nothing big deal, just a faint feeling.  For comparison, capping and uncapping on a Kaweco sport, Jinhao 992, X159 felt better.  Built quality of JH82 I would say is overall quite good.  I think X159 (and even the 992) gives me a better feeling quality pen.  I'm liking the Jinhao 82, great little pen.

Pictured here with the Jinhao 992.  

Image00001.thumb.jpg.536c92e533e826ada275d7657dd5180b.jpgImage00002.thumb.jpg.72f2863da0f8342e033922b6be1108a9.jpg

Edited by AceNinja

Just following suit to try to create more of the ‘exclusive’ and/or ‘limited edition’ Sailor Professional Gear Slim look with otherwise oh-so-ordinary, plain-coloured plastics:

large.982856696_Mix-and-matchJinhao82penswithgoldtrim.jpg.5e75245cd9ab03e43b19ef83a4f415d6.jpg

Hmmm, I don't know about the barrel finial, but it looks like the cap finial is held in place by a screw and (4.5mm 5.0mm diameter?) nut. However, the inner cap liner is in the way of using a tool to immobilise the nut, so must be pulled out before the nut can be accessed to remove the cap finial and swap them around between pens; and I don't have such a tool.

Edited by A Smug Dill
diameter ascertained

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

@A Smug Dill I've seen picture in reddit where they swap the cap finial and barrel finial (not the process, just the final result).  It looks soooo gooodddd.  You need 3 pens for them to look really cool.

Colour 1 - cap

Colour 2 - barrel

Colour 3 - both finials.

for your 2 pens, if you can swap the cap finial (the barrel finial remains), it would look good.

On 11/18/2022 at 12:24 AM, OCArt said:

Your olive and ivory mix and match is stunning!

OCP-20221118_123235_DRO.jpg

Yes, they look quite nice.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

Well, mine writes.  But a little off-and-on reluctantly; maybe I need a wetter ink than InkVent Ash.  It's a pretty pen, but with two Delike New Moon pens from a previous purchase, I'm not getting any more 82s.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

On 12/20/2022 at 2:58 PM, AceNinja said:

for your 2 pens, if you can swap the cap finial (the barrel finial remains), it would look good.

Ladies and gentleman, allow me to present…

Jinhao Bespoke 

large.706877942_JinhaoBespoke.jpg.22e9dbb97e79c4a7f8c24363bbf1c47d.jpg

(My wife turned out to be the first ‘client’ of such, to nominate and claim her ‘favourite’ combination of components out of all the Jinhao 82 pens we have here. I guess I'll make do with the remainder.)

Spoiler

OK, here's my ‘reciprocal’ contribution, on account of the inspirations, suggestions, and tips I got in this thread that gave me the confidence it could work, if only I could figure out the method(s). A large part of the challenge was that I only knew the desired outcome (is achievable, demonstrably so offsite), but didn't really have a map or schematic for what I was working, never mind the specifics of how — techniques and the sequence — I would work with (or work around) the parts to get there. Let me now give you (or anyone who is interested) the map and some pointers, save you some trouble, so you can focus your energy on figuring out your how, and formulate a plan. For those of you with more repair and/or tinkering experience than I do, that should be easy, without nearly as much risk as my own fumbling entailed.

This should adequately illustrate what you are dealing with, if you choose to go down that path yourself:

large.721288766_Jinhao82explodedview(small).jpg.e28112e5c6a15e0ba24958bdd7a69834.jpg

Edited by A Smug Dill
Added exploded view and commentary

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

They look nice, but I think maybe just switching caps will be as much effort as I want to make. 

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

• 1 month later...

I just received my 82 with a true medium nib. What a lovely pen and smooth writing experience! I like it more than my Prera and my Kaweco Ice Sport. Never woulda thought that, but there it is. 

On 12/9/2022 at 2:30 PM, BudgieBee said:

... Is it just me or has Jinhao gotten a lot better at nib quality in the last year or so?

The latter, IMO. 

Those are not swapped , its factory made for batch order per the retailer / dealer spec , Jinhao do that since way way back, its just that few ever made it out of the home market , the Century and now the 82 perhaps the first that got wide audience outside of the home market with these STORE SPECIALS, well its a win-win-win for Jinhao, the dealer and customers , so the more the merrier I say

• 1 month later...

How well are the Jinhao 82 at sealing? Has anyone in a dry climate had one inked long enough to comment on their resistance to drying out?

Will work for pens... :unsure:

I’m not in a dry climate, generally. But in the winter it gets too dry for my wife. The humidistat says we have had about 40% humidity for the last couple of months. With that level I have not noticed the Jinhao 82s that I have being particularly dry. I had hard starts and drying with the one that had the Jinhao fude nib. When I swapped in a round tip Jinhao nib I no longer had that problem. 

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

On 3/31/2023 at 12:13 PM, AmandaW said:

How well are the Jinhao 82 at sealing? Has anyone in a dry climate had one inked long enough to comment on their resistance to drying out?

The “matcha latte” one (shown here, from my early experiments with mixing and matching) I've been carrying around in the pocket of my cargo shorts, or thrown into my knapsack, etc. with little care was last filled around/before Christmas, and is still writing with the same fill of Platinum Classic Ink Forest Green today.

• 1 year later...
On 11/29/2022 at 11:00 PM, A Smug Dill said:

The machining, on the other hand, is not even at the Sailor Lecoule's level. There was a bit of debris — sharp and/or curly shreds of pen body material — found inside the grip section, when I disassembled the Jinhao 82.

those arent shreds of the body, they are the remains of the glue that is used to prevent the section from coming apart. you can see this especially on the demonstrator models