Jinhao 82

J120

7 hours ago, Mech-for-i said:

Which very well might be , just as Sailor's designer had in mind also , styling after some long established and proven design and that itself is nothing wrong , pens been around for thousands of years and the ergonomic pretty much all ironed out and some basic form always it's will be

It can be flat top or rounded or pointed , it can be straight or tapered straight or tapering curved , it can be long or short , it can sometimes had changing profile instead of one continuous curve , it can ...

I had seldom seen really original styling but originality in execution of the various styling idea still amaze and amuse , Jinhao definitely not one at that though

I disagree with that mostly. There is a difference between inspiration and copy, and a difference between copy one thing and copy everything. 

I also disagree that there is little room for creativity anymore. I have lots of pens and find ergonomic faults with most of them. Instead of copying a sailor, jinhao could continue to make new designs. 

In any case, I actually don't mind jinhao as a brand because they make their pens quite affordable to the general public and their nibs are the most reliable of all the Chinese brands. But lots of their pens are still blatant copies. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sailor Kenshin

• VillersCotterets

• A Smug Dill

• Mech-for-i

24 minutes ago, MuddyWaters said:

I have lots of pens and find ergonomic faults with most of them. Instead of copying a sailor, jinhao could continue to make new designs.

I don't see the point, from (at least what I imagine to be) the business perspective, if making new designs won't gain the pen models the same consumer acceptance and deliver extraordinary financial return in Jinhao's (and the Chinese fountain pen industry's) primary market.

Opening up more options to the individual so that ‘everyone’ can find something that better suits them (than what are already available in the status quo) is not a driving factor for business investment; and those who are in control of the manufacturing capability and resources have little reason to prioritise minority wants — especially those not already satisfied by current offerings because most or all of the other manufacturers deem such an exercise not worthwhile commercially.

Let's face it — you probably aren't offering to pay Aurora prices for a Chinese-made, Jinhao-branded fountain pen of original design, even if that design does the job slightly better than an Aurora with which you may find ergonomic faults.

If you have five sore points with a German pen, and the Chinese can make one that writes just as well but also eliminates two of those sore points, will you pay 5% more than the German pen's asking price in the market to proudly own, sport, and use a Chinese pen that you can declare to be operationally superior?

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

58 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

I don't see the point, from (at least what I imagine to be) the business perspective, if making new designs won't gain the pen models the same consumer acceptance and deliver extraordinary financial return in Jinhao's (and the Chinese fountain pen industry's) primary market.

Opening up more options to the individual so that ‘everyone’ can find something that better suits them (than what are already available in the status quo) is not a driving factor for business investment; and those who are in control of the manufacturing capability and resources have little reason to prioritise minority wants — especially those not already satisfied by current offerings because most or all of the other manufacturers deem such an exercise not worthwhile commercially.

Let's face it — you probably aren't offering to pay Aurora prices for a Chinese-made, Jinhao-branded fountain pen of original design, even if that design does the job slightly better than an Aurora with which you may find ergonomic faults.

If you have five sore points with a German pen, and the Chinese can make one that writes just as well but also eliminates two of those sore points, will you pay 5% more than the German pen's asking price in the market to proudly own, sport, and use a Chinese pen that you can declare to be operationally superior?

You snipped out the first sentence of that paragraph, which indicated that I was speaking about room for creativity rather than business concerns. Mech-for-i's post also had nothing to do about business. I agree with you about the business aspects. 

Btw I have bought "chinese" pens with original designs for more than one hundred dollars (not quite aurora money), but those were from Taiwan, full size pens and more durable than the average mainland pen. 

1 hour ago, MuddyWaters said:

You snipped out the first sentence of that paragraph, which indicated that I was speaking about room for creativity rather than business concerns. Mech-for-i's post also had nothing to do about business.

Jinhao is business. I didn't snip out your reference to the brand; and there's no separating the brand from business. The brand, and the company that owns the trademark and produces the pens, do not exist for the love of (using) fountain pens.

Any rando can be creative and come up with new designs, for whatever reasons, gripes, or motivation; but Jinhao, or any other well-known (mainland) Chinese fountain pen brand, simply isn't going to make and sell those pens.

So, what would be the point of Jinhao having and demonstrating creativity, if not for its business benefit first and foremost? That's what I was getting at.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

36 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

Jinhao is business. I didn't snip out your reference to the brand; and there's no separating the brand from business. The brand, and the company that owns the trademark and produces the pens, do not exist for the love of (using) fountain pens.

Any rando can be creative and come up with new designs, for whatever reasons, gripes, or motivation; but Jinhao, or any other well-known (mainland) Chinese fountain pen brand, simply isn't going to make and sell those pens.

So, what would be the point of Jinhao having and demonstrating creativity, if not for its business benefit first and foremost? That's what I was getting at.

While I'm in agreement with you about the business side of things, I think you're missing the point of the original discussion, which started from a disagreement with mech and not jinhao. 

I think the colours shown will be fairly accurate. As with the Jinhao 80, it is the quality of the polymer that will presumably be inferior in person than in the pictures. At this low price, we cannot expect too much.

I started to look for potential analogous and complementary ink colours that would match these pens.JInhao-82-palette.thumb.png.c51e422655008234cd7ad9f2523a85f1.png

Edited by VillersCotterets
Image re-upload

11 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

For some reason, I can't see the image.  

It's strange, I can see it. I'll upload it again.

Ok there it is , pls bear with me the poor photo quality , not having the best of weather here ..

OCP-20221118_123235_DRO.thumb.jpg.d066e1feab066ebe80bd2b5c01d1f0d7.jpg

OCP-20221118_122901_DRO.thumb.jpg.f0add622fad1394356f66f8d4ba1ff7b.jpg

Below from left to right : Moonman P136 , Delike New Moon II , Jinhao 992 , Delike New Moon ( original ver. ) , Jinhao 82

OCP-20221118_122242_DRO.thumb.jpg.e64cae0aea43df20f9024765460096ab.jpg

OCP-20221118_122439_DRO.thumb.jpg.354bc1ef302bc7fcfb86b4073547f899.jpg

OCP-20221118_122712_DRO.thumb.jpg.c52af658e8df9da29c8886057d9dc98b.jpg

Size wide it's more NM than NM-II , construction though is more NM-II than NM , feel pretty good , better than the 992 , P136 feel more solid simply by bulk and weight , the O ring at the section thread is nice to had but kind of get in the way 

As for the finishing , smooth and glossy , done pretty well especially when you consider the price , the Ivory and Pale Blue is really really pale , the Tiffany Blue is a light shade kind of this colour , the Olive Green come out way better than how the product shoot shows .. I think Jinhao got a winner here ..

Your olive and ivory mix and match is stunning!

OCP-20221118_123235_DRO.jpg

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

8 hours ago, Mech-for-i said:

Size wide it's more NM than NM-II , construction though is more NM-II than NM

From your description I gather that the Jinhao 82 is closer in size to the first version of the New Moon, and thus to the Sailor Pro Gear Slim, than the larger New Moon version 2. However, its superior construction is more like that of the improved New Moon 2.

Thank you for the photographs.

• 2 weeks later...

large.329278923_Jinhao82disassembledandweighed.jpg.2a684d05422470846e2edb03d33d9279.jpg

large.1418284780_Jinhao82FnibwritingsampleinWatermanSerenityBlue.jpg.a16a1fa49c7c96dc3c009f0a0295a4b0.jpg

The finish on the Jinhao 82's body is slick, to the point of being slippery. I just compared it with my Sailor Professional Gear Slim (Ocean, and Midnight Sky) pens, and they feel similar in terms of texture; but the Jinhao 82 has slipped out of my grasp, or grip, more than once when the pen cap was not posted at the end of the barrel. I just find the pen quite hard to control, in a way that isn't a problem on my Sailor pens. Posting the cap makes the Jinhao 82 less slippery and more controllable; and, being a sub-US$4 pen, I suppose it's the lesser of two evils (or annoyances) to have to do that.

The pen is in fact more similar to the Sailor Professional Gear Slim than to the Sailor Lecoule, in both weight and implementation. However, the specific way in which the metal connector works is not identical. (Don't ask me to explain how exactly; both @JulieParadise and I have posted photos on FPN previously that show the Sailor Professional Gear Slim's section disassembled and its metal connector in detail.)

The machining, on the other hand, is not even at the Sailor Lecoule's level. There was a bit of debris — sharp and/or curly shreds of pen body material — found inside the grip section, when I disassembled the Jinhao 82. The thin O-ring that should sit just behind the rim of the nib collar arrived broken, most likely severed by a sharp piece of debris when the nib unit was screwed in, and a loose end was sticking out and getting tangled up between the feed's fins. Not that I think an O-ring there is really necessary; but Sailor nib units also have them, and now absent an O-ring, the Jinhao 82's already small nib appears more sunken into the grip section.

The nib itself writes surprisingly fine, for a Chinese steel F nib. I haven't inspected it under a loupe (and don't intend to), but it feels as if the grind is… imperfect, and while it isn't scratchy at all, writing with it feels a bit bumpy, as if the tipping's contact surface was dimpled, and accentuates every little bit of uneveness on the paper surface. The nib on the pen I tested exhibits a subtle Italic character; I'm not sure if that is true for all Jinhao 82 pens. The ink flow is sufficient that Waterman Serenity Blue ink exhibits some sheen on Rhodia DotPad 80g/m² paper in my writing sample shown above.

All in all, I think it's on the cusp of being very good for a sub-US$4 pen, and I'm happy enough with it (now that I find I can control it without letting it slip out of my grip by posting the cap) that I just ordered three more colours of it.

thanks for the review / first impression @A Smug Dill , I've been writing with the 82 for more than a week but since its only 1 specimen here I will refrain from making any conclusion , had not disassemble mine so could not comment on the build , but I can testify to the slippery finish though that do not seems to bother me at all , been able to write with it just as any other pens without posting.

the nib on mine write with quite a bit of positive feedback , not usually what one associate with Jinhao but its not scratchy either , and since am still on the first fill am not going to made any judgement here until I finish this and another , I did do a good clean up and had the nib unit screwed off the pen before filling it ( just to see how it goes ) mine had everything in place and intact

I received my first one. The J82 gives the same impression as the Sailor ProGear Slim. The dimensions and shapes are very similar. So is the polymer. This pen is a good substitute to see if you would like a real Slim. The nib is identical to the one found on other Jinhao No. 5 pens, such as the 51A. Not great but not bad either. The cap fits deeply and comfortably into the body of the pen. No burrs or manufacturing defects on mine. The clip, however, is very stiff. It is difficult to slip into a pocket. The green colour is almost identical to the one in the photos. The gold trim is beautiful. I have not yet received the other J82 I ordered, with chrome trim.

I'm happy with my purchase, so much so that I'm considering ordering more, just to give as gifts and collect.

On 11/13/2022 at 10:37 AM, Sailor Kenshin said:

And here I thought this would be a discussion of the actual pens and how they write.

word

Has somebody written with one yet enough to give some impressions, or a photo of a writing sample?

Yeah been writing with one for more than a week , so far no real difference from previous Jinhao no.5 , as usual writing improve upon running in but not really extra , just the usual .. since am only on first fill I would refrain from making judgement or conclusion 

9 minutes ago, TSherbs said:

Has somebody written with one yet enough to give some impressions, or a photo of a writing sample?