$25 at Five Below nets perfect pens for learning nib tuning

amberleadavis

1 hour ago, amberleadavis said:

I guess I'm not frustrated because my expectations were very low for what I paid 

I'm not too frustrated because I bought them out of curiosity, but then when they weren't bad at first...

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• amberleadavis

• Sailor Kenshin

• Penguincollector

3 hours ago, amberleadavis said:

It's really weird, on the ones that were fine nibs with different colors, orange never wanted to write correctly. On the italic nibs, some nibs just never wrote correctly. My concern is that these will turn off new users.

I think that orange ink is really dry and pens don’t like it. The Chinese orange inks have given me trouble every time in both 3.4 mm and 2.6 mm cartridges and the shimmer CX-##   bottles. Even the glass dip pen balked. I haven’t tried all the italic nibs yet, just the 2.9 & 1.1, but so far no issues. 

Top 5 of 23 currently inked pens:

Namiki Origami Tradition maki-e Penguin F, Pilot Iroshizuku Ku-Jaku

Sailor X Sakazaki Penguin Pro Gear Slim MF, Sailor Manyo Konagi

Lamy 2000 EF, Diamine Purple Bow

Platinum Hibiscus SF short-long, Platinum Green

Indigo Bronze TWSBI Eco 1.1 Stub, De Atramentis Columbia Blue-Copper 

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

Since I bought them to live in the car, I am not upset, but I'm getting there.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I’ve always had good experiences with the Zebra fountain pen that is stocked at Walgreen’s.  The earlier ones had what I’ll call a regular looking nib. Then Zebra had to change it to hooded. It still writes every time, even with long intervals between writing. 

I should note it stays in my purse. 

Posted Image

For me, the Pilot Varsity is the perfect travelling pen.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

1 hour ago, amberleadavis said:

For me, the Pilot Varsity is the perfect travelling pen.

ˆYes

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

On 11/6/2022 at 6:48 AM, Sailor Kenshin said:

Sure, why not?  They're fun and inexpensive!   Ooo, and Bic has a multi-pen!?  Must investigate, thanks.

That Bic multi pen has been all over Europe since the 1970's. It is refillable and very comfortable to use, certainly a lot more than the Bic crystals, the thin barreled ones. it has 2 lower barrel colors: blue and orange and is refillable. It it called original, because it has the original colors, It can be found at numerous outlets, do a search for your area,  and it is also refillable, refills might be harder to come by.

In the late 90's early 2000's Bic introduced 2 fun color 4 colors Bic, called fashion colors, with a lime barrel and other pastel colors (pink and teal) and there may be limited edition, which I wanted but could never find. It is now, at Target, and other popular outfits.

The fun colors that replace: blue, black, red and green are called fashion and are pin, purple, teal and lime.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to use a shim on my troublesome pen. But darn it all, I do not remember where I put the shims and grab material I got from Pen Chalet. They aren’t in with the sac and j-bars. Grrr, I thought I put them there.  

Posted Image

11 hours ago, Misfit said:

I was going to use a shim on my troublesome pen. But darn it all, I do not remember where I put the shims and grab material I got from Pen Chalet. They aren’t in with the sac and j-bars. Grrr, I thought I put them there.  

I've used pieces of film stock when I couldn't find a shim.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

9 hours ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

I've used pieces of film stock when I couldn't find a shim.

Someone once recommended that to me. Unfortunately any film negatives are in the basement. I’m not sure if I’m ready to use that many steps after injuring my hip on the 12th. I’m getting close, but don’t want to undo the healing. 

Posted Image

28 minutes ago, Misfit said:

Someone once recommended that to me. Unfortunately any film negatives are in the basement. I’m not sure if I’m ready to use that many steps after injuring my hip on the 12th. I’m getting close, but don’t want to undo the healing. 

No, no—-don't go in the basement!  💝

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

22 hours ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

No, no—-don't go in the basement!  💝

Especially if you have ever seen a horror movie!

:lticaptd:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."