$25 at Five Below nets perfect pens for learning nib tuning

amberleadavis

It had rained all day, with highs in the 40°sF. So I did not leave the house. I might buy an undated journal online. 

I’m curious about what colors of ink come in the set of 8 pens. Can someone let me know?

Posted Image

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• amberleadavis

• Sailor Kenshin

• Penguincollector

1 hour ago, Misfit said:

It had rained all day, with highs in the 40°sF. So I did not leave the house. I might buy an undated journal online. 

I’m curious about what colors of ink come in the set of 8 pens. Can someone let me know?

So here’s a picture of all the ink cartridges included inside the pens: there’s a peachy reddish pink, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, and maybe grey, but could be black. The yellow ink is the only one that I have tried- it’s a true yellow. The same colors are in the calligraphy set, except that one has a darker blue as well. I learned that you could shop online and pick up in store if you want to scratch that itch. We are experiencing what’s been termed an “atmospheric river” here in Portland, so I haven’t been outside at all today.

B35B55B0-D896-4A4A-A24F-B06B2BDD8CDF.jpeg

Top 5 of 23 currently inked pens:

Namiki Origami Tradition maki-e Penguin F, Pilot Iroshizuku Ku-Jaku

Sailor X Sakazaki Penguin Pro Gear Slim MF, Sailor Manyo Konagi

Lamy 2000 EF, Diamine Purple Bow

Platinum Hibiscus SF short-long, Platinum Green

Indigo Bronze TWSBI Eco 1.1 Stub, De Atramentis Columbia Blue-Copper 

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

Thank you for the explanation and photo. I wondered if they would color match or be black or blue. Do they seem to be standard size so I could use a J Herbin or other short international cartridge?

Posted Image

9 hours ago, Misfit said:

Thank you for the explanation and photo. I wondered if they would color match or be black or blue. Do they seem to be standard size so I could use a J Herbin or other short international cartridge?

They's Jinhao/Gullor, and the standard internationals don't always fit and vice-versa.

As for the cute, reeking set, I think each pen had its own matching color cartridge.  Might have been standard int. in that set.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

The cartridges  have a 2.6mm bore size- for what it’s worth, so do the calligraphy set ones and I put a Waterman long cartridge in that one. I also put an Eclat de Saphir cartridge in my Jinhao x450, so it might work, but I would have a backup pen ready in case it pierces the cartridge but wont stay on. 

Top 5 of 23 currently inked pens:

Namiki Origami Tradition maki-e Penguin F, Pilot Iroshizuku Ku-Jaku

Sailor X Sakazaki Penguin Pro Gear Slim MF, Sailor Manyo Konagi

Lamy 2000 EF, Diamine Purple Bow

Platinum Hibiscus SF short-long, Platinum Green

Indigo Bronze TWSBI Eco 1.1 Stub, De Atramentis Columbia Blue-Copper 

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

I went to Five Below today. I saw the set of 8, and took a pack. While searching for the true calligraphy set, I saw a set of two pens that look like Lamy Joy pens. They came with black ink. I put the set of 8 back, and got the set of two. I also got an extra set of the ones on left since my brother’s birthday is this month. The set of two has one pen with a nib that looks like a Lamy nib, while the other has a hooded nib. 

large.F8FCD4D8-D8B2-40DC-A7A3-95C83D0D0141.jpeg.17928844ffc8adba51a76b39286eda8f.jpeg

They had some cute, small backpacks on the opposite side of the store. I almost got one or two, but decided not to today. I also got a Sudoku book to use with the Pilot Frixion pens I got at Office Depot. 

Posted Image

56 minutes ago, Misfit said:

I went to Five Below today. I saw the set of 8, and took a pack. While searching for the true calligraphy set, I saw a set of two pens that look like Lamy Joy pens. They came with black ink. I put the set of 8 back, and got the set of two. I also got an extra set of the ones on left since my brother’s birthday is this month. The set of two has one pen with a nib that looks like a Lamy nib, while the other has a hooded nib. 

large.F8FCD4D8-D8B2-40DC-A7A3-95C83D0D0141.jpeg.17928844ffc8adba51a76b39286eda8f.jpeg

They had some cute, small backpacks on the opposite side of the store. I almost got one or two, but decided not to today. I also got a Sudoku book to use with the Pilot Frixion pens I got at Office Depot. 

The duo on the right are the ones I got.  They both wrote well! 

Yup, I have the 18 Count, too...lots of cartridges lying around now.  😜

I’m starting one of two car kits to have a fountain pen and paper. Admittedly the paper is small at 3.25” x 4.5” because I already had a set of three notebooks. Also included is a Bic multi pen because they need to be used too. I put an extra cartridge in the Velcro close pocket. There is still room in the pen pouch for more. But what?

large.0EA0B156-C67D-4BD8-B71C-91C42FFE09FE.jpeg.72f16d832af225507e9ac4e799d77dfd.jpeg

large.ECCBA81D-EE37-433B-B4F8-05B12DA573A6.jpeg.4ba1a2a4deb35f22fab7f7e707c06e3f.jpeg

This one is for the Dodge Grand Caravan which is red, and used to be my Dad’s. The fountain pen in the photos has the hooded nib. The ink window parts do not line up as well as a Lamy pen. 

I need to get a pen pouch for my Chevrolet Malibu which is sand color. I have a couple returns that are in the same shopping area as Target.  Target shows the FiveStar pouch in stock. Hmm, yellow or dark blue with pink trim?

Posted Image

2 hours ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

The duo on the right are the ones I got.  They both wrote well! 

Yup, I have the 18 Count, too...lots of cartridges lying around now.  😜

I’ve only put the cartridge in the blue/green pen. It wrote well. I’m hoping it will write right away even if weeks go by. Now I’m wondering if I should go back, and get another 2 pack, and have two fountain pens in each vehicle.  I’m going to keep the true calligraphy set inside to play with. 

@amberleadavis thank you for starting this thread. I didn’t need more pens, but encouraging retailers like Five Below to keep them is good. 

Posted Image

I went ahead and put both Lamy Joy copies in the pen pouch. The ink cartridges are back in the box they came in, also in the pouch. It didn’t take long for the pen to start writing. The pink/yellow pen’s ink window lines up well.  I expect I’ll get another set of pens for the car I primarily drive. That means another set of pens, and a pouch to hold them. 

The pen kit is now in the Grand Caravan. It got the kit first because the trim on the pen pouch is almost red. It’s probably orange. 

Posted Image

8 hours ago, Misfit said:

I went ahead and put both Lamy Joy copies in the pen pouch. The ink cartridges are back in the box they came in, also in the pouch. It didn’t take long for the pen to start writing. The pink/yellow pen’s ink window lines up well.  I expect I’ll get another set of pens for the car I primarily drive. That means another set of pens, and a pouch to hold them. 

The pen kit is now in the Grand Caravan. It got the kit first because the trim on the pen pouch is almost red. It’s probably orange. 

Sure, why not?  They're fun and inexpensive!   Ooo, and Bic has a multi-pen!?  Must investigate, thanks.

13 hours ago, Misfit said:

@amberleadavis thank you for starting this thread. I didn’t need more pens, but encouraging retailers like Five Below to keep them is good. 

Voting with your dollars! Good idea.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

7 hours ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Sure, why not?  They're fun and inexpensive!   Ooo, and Bic has a multi-pen!?  Must investigate, thanks.

I got my first Bic multi pen at Walmart. Later, while shopping online with Cult Pens, I found a two pack with different barrel colors, and different inks. 

Another rabbit hole is customizable multi pens. 

Posted Image

I didn’t want to go anywhere today. However it’s the last day I can take an Amazon return to Kohl’s . Target is near Kohl’s, and the website shows two of the FiveStar pouches available. What to do?

Well I went to Target after Kohl’s, and found none of the pouches like the one I bought. They had the flat kind with a zipper. I’m holding out for the Five Star Stand N Store pouch. 

edit: I have to order supplies to care for my Mom, so I added a pen pouch to that Walmart shipping order for $4.97. It will be black with gray trim. 

Posted Image

If I’d go to a nearby Five Below in another suburb, I could get these pens (and go to Barnes & Noble too). If I do this, I’ll split the pens so each pouch has a regular nib pen and a hooded nib pen. 

large.42D97AED-3530-4DFE-8850-9113B71428CC.png.f3deb068614ce40d36b59ffe8f63161d.png

Posted Image

15 minutes ago, Misfit said:

@Sailor KenshinAre the Bic pens you ordered the standard blue, red, green and black?

I think so.  I also found refills for my Pilot Multi-Pen.  I hope...