Pilot Switch Filler Sac Size/Instructions

LoveBigPensAndCannotLie

Just bought a vintage Pilot with a switch filler that was sold as working and surprise surprise, it was misrepresented. The sac was long since petrified. So I figured I'd ask - is there anything special involved in resaccing these or can I go about it the same way as any other sac-based pen? The "cage" is very small so I am assuming I will need a small sac.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LoveBigPensAndCannotLie

• stan

• Number99

Replacing the sac is easy. Some other problems may however exist.

1. Remove the silver colored casing. When removed either the sac is ossified in the casing or on the section. Odds are all or part of it is in the casing.

2. The switch may not be movable as the ossified sac has kept it in one position. Carefully remove the sac from the inside of the casing. You may need some dental tools for this or a crochet needle. As you remove bits and pieces of the sac more will come out. Soon the lever might be able to move. Do not use the lever to force out any parts of the sac.

3. Be careful as it is easy to remove the spring on the lever as one digs deeper into the casing. If the spring comes out it cannot be repaired.

4. Assuming the sac and all of the little fragments of the sac, including those stuck to the inside of the casing, are out.

5. Find a sac that will fit inside the casing. Trim it to appropriate length. Make sure it is not too snug. You can max out the size of sac by inserting it in with talcum powder on the outside of the sac as a lubricant.

6. Attached the sac to the male end of the section with shellac. On some models the sac must be inserted inside of the section. If so you will need bent tweezers to get part of the sac on the section and work the remainder over the section until it is completely covered. You will need to push the sac down into the section too.

7. When done replace casing.

8. Fill with ink.

9. Enjoy your pen.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

I did a test fit and test fill with a #12 size sac without any shellac (sac remnants came out easy and the switch is nice and responsive) and it filled fine without leaking although the feed was still plenty dirty so I removed it to clean the pen out further.

After fiddling with it and seeing how little ink an appropriately sized sac holds in this pen (well, I think I could go up one size, a #13 would probably be ideal, but I don't have anything smaller than a 15 other than this #12 and the #15 definitely does not fit), I've decided to just not use the original filling system and use a modern cartridge or converter.

The converter from my Moonman/Majohn A1 fits perfectly and does not seem to leak. Holds much more ink as well. I don't think there's any point in using an inferior filling system just to be authentic.

D'oh. The converter fits great on the section and fills well but I didn't actually double check if the converter would actually fit in the barrel... it doesn't. Sac it is I guess...

Am very surprised the converter fits on the section.

I'm not familiar with the converter you mention. If possible, you might consider shortening the converter. 

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

It fits tight but well, I was surprised as well. It's the converter Moonman includes with the A1, it's a copy of the CON-40. Strangely enough the empty cartridge they provide with the pen doesn't fit, only the converter does. The length is okay, unfortunately it's just a little too wide to fit in the body so I don't think there's an easy fix for that.

The sac works fine though so I think I am good. Thank you for the help. Nib is scratchy but I looked at it under a loupe and it just doesn't have much tipping, so not much to do on that end.

• 2 weeks later...

Reference information.

I got an unused long version of the Pilot Elite.

The product image did not show the inside of the barrel and I assumed it was a C/C filler.

However, the barrel of the pen I received had a switch filler...

I had read a thread on this forum that CON-40 would not fit, but I had mentioned information in a Korean blog post that it was possible, so I attempted to install CON-40.

As you can see in the image, it is a little tight, but it can be installed.

However, if you are not careful when removing the converter, the collector and feed will come off together.

You have to firmly hold the base of the nipple (?) to remove the converter.

As you know, the collector has a narrow slit and a thick slit running vertically. If the collector comes off, align the thick slit with the air opening on the back side of the nib and push it in.

To fill the cylinder with ink, move the piston up and down four or five times, and the cylinder will be filled with about 60% ink.

At this time, the collector is also filled with ink, so it can be refilled with sufficient ink.

It seems that there are switch fillers that can and cannot be installed.

I could not fit one because the outside diameter of the nipple on the section of my pen that has a long gold cap band stamped "Warranted" on the nib is the same as the outside diameter of the CON-40.

large.214157548_IMG_16792.jpg.1f4c3a597dc67c1b4db1c9368dd3b0c3.jpg

large.843003810_IMG_16822.jpg.acdaecfe3308be67c73cd5c58fd0fe56.jpg

Edited by Number99
Fix image spacing.

I then looked into my pens.

The pen that the CON-40 fit was a 1962 Pilot Super Type Elite, and the pen that did not fit was a 1955 Pilot Super.

According to the FPN member who helped me with my research, the 1964 long version of the Elite seems to have a mix of C/C filler and switch filler.

There also appears to be a switch filler with another narrower size section projection.

I checked to see if the time of change in the size of the section projection (nipple) would be a good indicator of compatibility, but the situation seems to be more complicated.