Parker B5 Big Arrow Burgundy (variant?)

Number99

Hello.

I have acquired a very used Parker B5 Big Arrow on the Japanese used goods market.

Reading the description on Parkerpens.net, it was offered in "black" (body color) for the period 1979-1981.

However, the one I have acquired is an English "burgundy" with English black F refills (a black body color B5 must have American black F refills).

I could not see any B5s other than "black" on ebay or in any other online vintage pen store.

If you have any information on the standard color versions of this pen, refills, or other specifications, please provide them.

My post will serve as a case report, but I would also like to know if the B5 is a model that specifies a black body color, refill country of manufacture, size, etc.

Any and all information is most welcome and appreciated in advance.

https://parkerpens.net/parkerb5.html

*This is a reference video about B5. You can read the instruction manual for B5 in the program. (around 8 min 10 sec)

https://youtu.be/SzhJTwD8Q3A

large.1041441671_IMG_15412.jpg.4de70bad9c54e1da9488317067b96847.jpglarge.1815704715_IMG_15422(1).jpg.1a33597f71885d75d79220a39c16334b.jpglarge.1006562005_IMG_15732.jpg.f7ab7f16251c561ccab9d780d9f5139a.jpglarge.1442361393_IMG_15762.jpg.42306d8ceecc0233578858f20b779d5d.jpglarge.1252698454_IMG_15462.jpg.49cc662832e93a6757a43a5fa495fbeb.jpglarge.622026612_IMG_15812.jpg.21762881f0d076a02bf9034590ce4c20.jpglarge.1163116190_IMG_15962.jpg.806fed8a6dfcb8533974e26771556cc6.jpg

Edited by Number99

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Number99

• baz666

• Dutchpen

• parkergeo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Never seen a red version of this pen.

i have a black one. 

Nib (re)plating: please visit www.Dutchpen.com

3 hours ago, Dutchpen said:

Never seen a red version of this pen.

i have a black one. 

Appreciate your reply.

Are the refills for your pens still made in the USA?

Mine differs from the standard not only in color but also in refill.

It does not have a DIN code but is marked "A9".

The other printed on it is "Halo Mark, The Parker Pen Company, Ltd" and another line "Parker T-Ball Refill".

Made in England" is engraved under the rotor.

Edited by Number99
Typing error correction.

I think your "T-Ball" marked refill might actually be much older than the 1979-80 pen, unless the UK-made refills are different.  That was a fairly early marketing term for US jotter refills in the 50s and 60s. 

Thanks for the hint.(I could look up T-balls.)

I found a referenceable blog post that includes a catalog issued November 1, 1978 that lists Big Arrow and T-Ball Flighter (45 Flighter) (T-ボールフライター) & T-Ball Special (Jotter) (T-ボールスペシャル) is listed at the same time.

The B5 Big Arrow appears to have been pre-launched in Japan under the name Big Arrow (ビッグアロー).

The article is in Japanese. The text in the image can be translated by activating Google Lens by long tapping the image.

http://pelikan.livedoor.biz/archives/50831120.html

*T-ball is on the upper right side of the image, with the Big Arrow below it.(Pinch out to see.)

https://livedoor.blogimg.jp/pelikan_1931/imgs/3/4/342eb245.jpg

*Date of issue is printed on the upper right side of the image.(Pinch out to see.)

https://livedoor.blogimg.jp/pelikan_1931/imgs/e/e/ee8660d7.jpg

Presumably, if the Japan pre-launch is also a test launch, there may be a wide variety of color versions.

Edited by Number99
Correction of wording.

Thank you!

I now know that my pen is not alone.

Now I won't be surprised if there are other color versions.

Edited by Number99

Supplemental ;

I have scoured the catalog cited in the post above.

It listed the number of body color variations for each of the pens.

For example, the Big Red has 7(色) colors, the T-Ball Special (Jotter) has 4 colors, the T-Ball with calendar (Jotter) has 8 colors, etc.

The B5 Big Arrow does not list that number of colors.

As of November 1, 1978, this can be interpreted as only black body color.

Thus, all we can conclude from this thread is that the Parker B5 Big Arrow was pre-sold in Japan and that multiple red variants exist.

Since this is the only Japanese catalog that can currently confirm the B5 Big Arrow, we cannot definitively state anything more than that.

As an estimate, there may be a number of possibilities, such as a production model, a test model, or a sample that was sold off the shelf.

We will re-post in this thread as additional information becomes available.

If you have any more information, please feel free to send it to this thread.

Thank you very much.

*Here is the link to the same catalog that I attached above, re-attached for easier viewing.

https://livedoor.blogimg.jp/pelikan_1931/imgs/3/4/342eb245.jpg

Edited by Number99