• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• Runnin_Ute

• inkstainedruth

• Astronymus

I tend to buy pens that have Space themes, or names. Sometimes the pens are Space themed in name only. I have several of these pens. From top is a Visconti Rembrandt Eclipse pen. It is still available to buy. Next is a Delta Gallery Blue Moon pen that is not available. The same goes for the last two Visconti pens. The next pen was a collaboration with Chatterley Luxuries. It is a Cosmos Purple Nebulous. Last is a Millennium Arc Moonlight in sky blue. They have space names, but if seen alone, would they evoke Space?

large.6EC36850-F8AA-44BB-95C3-56ACF1F021E4.jpeg.e9904be8f2d6a7e17d89026efe756a56.jpeg

Posted Image

These next pens actually show their Space connection, the bottom two more than the Cross Century II Starlight in twilight gray, and the Karas Kustoms Starliner made for the 50th Anniversary of Apollo 11. It has 50 with a V between, the V is for the Saturn V rocket. Apollo 11 is on the clip. 

Next are better examples of pens that say Space. The Acme Studios Rocket Hero honoring Buzz Aldrin and the 40th Anniversary of Apollo 11.  It has images of an Astronaut and the Command Module with the Lunar lander. It also has red words on the cap telling about Apollo 11.  The last pen can be bought now, and is a Retro 51 Escape pen. The color and “decals” are representative of the ACES Space suits. 

large.1ED84E31-7A60-4D67-A633-7CFB6F6C2F59.jpeg.8ff6d6cf6af6f842b7b83bf0a5990127.jpeg

Posted Image

I’m including some rollerball pens, a mechanical pencil, and a multi-pen. These are good at evoking Space. At top are the Retro 51 Space Race rollerball pens with a stand by Retro 51. These pens represent the rockets that took Astronauts into earth and lunar orbit. At left is the pen for the Mercury missions, and represents the Redstone rocket. In the middle is the pen for the Gemini missions, representing the Titan II.  On the right is the pen for the Apollo missions, representing the Atlas V rocket. Of course the sizes are not correct because the Atlas V rocket, or launch vehicle, dwarfs the other two rockets. I opted not to get the fountain pen version for Apollo.  

The next writing instrument is a Zebra Prefill multi-pen. It has Snoopy on it as an Astronaut. Next are more Retro 51 rollerball pens and a mechanical pencil. The white pen is a Smithsonian collaboration representing the Space Shuttle Discovery. It launched the Hubble Space Telescope into orbit. You can feel the tiles on it, mimicking the heat tiles on the Space Shuttles. The next rollerball is Retro 51’s Mission to Mars pen. I think it is conceptual.  At bottom is another collaboration between Retro 51 and The Clicky Post blog. It shows the Solar System. It’s no longer available.

large.F8A60B8F-5E5F-4EC4-934F-82975431CC69.jpeg.a90eb23f228151cd5b7ffcc5b6025f70.jpeg

Posted Image

I set this up in my dining room for the 50th Anniversary of Apollo 11. The Field Notes version of the Fisher Space Pen is in this photo. It has one of the inks I own with a Space theme, Diamine Moondust. I have not included photos of inks.  I have two inks with Eclipse in their names. I have the Colorverse inks Saturn V, Hubble Zoom, Mars Curiosity, and the Hubble and HST inks.  Oh, I have Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo or Moonlight on order. 

large.18176C82-0A13-4665-8C0D-0DEBBCBA5F73.jpeg.595cc53b0a8965523b2b40d489108a8a.jpeg

Posted Image

Have you filled any of them with the Colorverse space-themed inks?  Feel like those Apollo-themed pens would call for a fill with Saturn V ink.

"Nothing is new under the sun!  Even the thing of which we say, “See, this is new!” has already existed in the ages that preceded us." Ecclesiastes

I have one pen that kind of fits the theme. It is my Guider Capsule which is more the shape of the pen than anything, but it could work. The blank it is made from exoticblanks calls Copper Mountain. But the look of the material is what evokes space to me. It's black with flecks and swirls of color. Silver, copper and green. The depth is what really amazes me most. It's really hard to get a good photo,  but I will try.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

24 minutes ago, Checklist said:

Have you filled any of them with the Colorverse space-themed inks?  Feel like those Apollo-themed pens would call for a fill with Saturn V ink.

I have Saturn V in the Acme, and in the Karas Kustoms pens. Mars Curiosity is in the Retro 51 Escape pen. 

Posted Image

One of my Space pens was in a pen box waiting to write a letter. It is a Fine Writing International Jupiter pen. Also in the photo is a pen I found in my late maternal uncle’s office room. It’s a Fisher Space Pen with a Space Shuttle on it. He worked for Boeing. 

large.27E62DCB-C937-4C6E-B1BE-5EDB6E4D53BD.jpeg.17afe6d88afb39c527ee27ad8a6dc26f.jpeg

Posted Image

12 minutes ago, Misfit said:

@Runnin_Ute would you post a photo, please?

I was going to try in the morning when the light is better, even in this fairly well lit room natural light is better.  Here are four shots. I know it doesn't do it real justice....

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

20221003_210441.thumb.jpg.ed5ebc3244d679d2a3882638179d4617.jpg20221003_210454.thumb.jpg.8b23a41cb012a0dadf6e34aa22ab09d4.jpg

Brad

20221003_210457.thumb.jpg.53dab5de84a58c245b49bc43a84c5761.jpg20221003_210505.thumb.jpg.65c156e08bb14b79ea1541bdfbb32e6b.jpg

Brad

I used to drool over photos of David Oscarson space pens. Now those screamed Space. But I’m not wealthy, so those were far out of my budget. 

Posted Image

Sputnik was launched October 4, 1957. Story here

tdih-oct04-HD.jpg?w=1440

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

@OCArt I was reading the space.com article that claimed Space Week was timed this year for the anniversary of the Sputnik launch. The truth is World Space Week is always October 4-10. So it was a nice coincidence. It needs better wording.  

You can download the Sputnik beep from the NASA website. I have it, plus Houston We Have A Problem, and some sounds from Space. I used to have Sputnik as my iPhone timer sound, but changed it to Houston we have a problem. 

Thank you for sharing the link. 

Posted Image

I’m saving some things for the rest of the week. I’m out of pens to show, so I hope people who own Space themed pens find this thread. 

Posted Image

@Misfit thanks for sharing your collection! It was fun to see and it reminded of the time I visited NASA in Houston my senior year of high school. 

@Runnin_Ute that Guider Capsule does remind me a lot of space! I would probably get lost just staring at it if I owned it. 

@doriath19 Wow, I’d love to visit a NASA site. Can you share what stood out to you about your high school visit to The Johnson Space Center?

Posted Image