Lamy Aion Is Not Compatible With Parker Cartridges or Converter

USG

This is specific to the LAMY Aion. 

Having read in another thread that Parker cartridges and converters are compatible with LAMY pens I tried some experiments with a new LAMY Aion.  My mistake was thinking that LAMY pens were similar enough to be able to use the same cartridges and converters.  I should have tried everything before filing with ink but I was under the impression that the nipple was the critical factor, so when I had a tight nipple fit I went ahead.

First I tried the LAMY converter from my CP1 to see if it was compatible.  No Go.  It was way too loose to make a seal.

Then I tried some Parker Cartridges.  I had empties from Script and Penman cartridges.  Both fit into the section but the Penmans' were a little shorter and tighter so I went with them.  Everything looked good so I filled the cartridge and screwed in the the barrel.

1395722976_IMG_27041024.thumb.jpg.1e0d4d5d82f0babf5a8b0f7331c80889.jpg

No Go.  LAMY has a plastic insert in the barrel that prevented full closure.

1530912907_IMG_27031024jpg.thumb.jpg.61a0f7d14e7c77498f88df1899878fc8.jpg

OK, so I siphoned the ink from the cartridge and put it into a Parker converter, thinking that the converter was a little shorter and thinner than the cartridge and that it would clear the plastic insert.

1169923404_IMG_27081024.thumb.jpg.a81bbfcdad6c1a08331fabe508f50a92.jpg

With the full Converter in place I screwed on the barrel.  Wrong again.  It left an annoying gap.

873644289_IMG_26981024.thumb.jpg.0f91ae5885ed5a5ee717fb9714bf869a.jpg

So Parker Cartridges and Converters may be compatible with other LAMY pens, but they are NOT compatible with a LAMY Aion.

Another thought is that this might be a recent change by LAMY to promote exclusiveness.  I had read that Pilot G2 gel refills fit into LAMY 2000 rollerballs.  I have a recent one, and G2 refills do not go in the section all the way.  Uniball and Pentel fit but require fore and aft spacers for a perfect fit.

UPDATE:  THE LAMY SITE SAYS THAT THE CP1 AND THE AION USE THE SAME CONVERTER.  MY CP1 IS A GOOD 10 YEARS OLD SO MAYBE THATS WHY IT'S CONVERTER HAS A LOOSE FIT.  THE PARKER CONVERTER IS TOO LONG FOR THE CP1.

LINK <-- my Ink and Paper tests

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• USG

• A Smug Dill

• arcfide

• erredierre

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't know how much of this carries over to the Aion, since I haven't tried any Parker converters or cartridges with my Aion, but I believe there are various spacers and the like inside of some Lamy pens like the Safari to enable you to puncture the cartridge and do the final "fitting" into the section by screwing the barrel back onto the section. I know that this is how some other pens work as well, and it does have the benefit of making it less potentially messy to install a cartridge if you have a somewhat heavy technique for installing cartridges. 

4 hours ago, USG said:

UPDATE:  THE LAMY SITE SAYS THAT THE CP1 AND THE AION USE THE SAME CONVERTER.  MY CP1 IS A GOOD 10 YEARS OLD SO MAYBE THATS WHY IT'S CONVERTER HAS A LOOSE FIT.  THE PARKER CONVERTER IS TOO LONG FOR THE CP1.

Good. You've already seen this then:

large.336995713_LamyZ27converterissuitableforboththeAionandthecp1models.png.d234e9d79fec47bb7705bf7587f50ccd.png

so who really cares whether Parker converters fit this model of LAMY fountain pen or that? It's not as if LAMY converters and/or cartridges are so rare as new retail products that an Aion user must resort to other-branded solutions.

If a new LAMY Z27 converter, which you obviously didn't order with and for your new Aion pen, still won't fit both the Aion and your old cp 1 pen acceptable well (to be functional), I'm confident that LAMY will endeavour to fix the issue for you somehow when you lodge a warranty claim with the company's customer service representatives.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

47 minutes ago, arcfide said:

I don't know how much of this carries over to the Aion, since I haven't tried any Parker converters or cartridges with my Aion, but I believe there are various spacers and the like inside of some Lamy pens like the Safari to enable you to puncture the cartridge and do the final "fitting" into the section by screwing the barrel back onto the section. I know that this is how some other pens work as well, and it does have the benefit of making it less potentially messy to install a cartridge if you have a somewhat heavy technique for installing cartridges. 

Haha, you jogged my memory... Yes I remember that from a long time ago....  put the new cartridge in the barrel, screw in the section and you're done... cartridge is automatically pierced.   Despite knowing that at one time, I don't do it that way.  I can't remember why, but let me think....  My only recollection is that I vaguely recall looking at a cartridge pierced that way, maybe in a Sheaffer school pen, and seeing that the cartridge was not seated fully.

17 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

Good. You've already seen this then:

large.336995713_LamyZ27converterissuitableforboththeAionandthecp1models.png.d234e9d79fec47bb7705bf7587f50ccd.png

so who really cares whether Parker converters fit this model of LAMY fountain pen or that? It's not as if LAMY converters and/or cartridges are so rare as new retail products that an Aion user must resort to other-branded solutions.

If a new LAMY Z27 converter, which you obviously didn't order with and for your new Aion pen, still won't fit both the Aion and your old cp 1 pen acceptable well (to be functional), I'm confident that LAMY will endeavour to fix the issue for you somehow when you lodge a warranty claim with the company's customer service representatives.

Hahaha, I did order a converter but the pen came before the converter, so in the meantime I wanted to try out the Parker fix, which didn't work.  So much for believing what you read on the internet. 😉

Also I think I balled up the converter order as well.  In a burst of impulse buying I thought I read that the Z28 replaced the Z27, and so that is what I ordered.  It should be here tomorrow and I'll see if it fits.

1 minute ago, USG said:

Also I think I balled up the converter order as well.  In a burst of impulse buying I thought I read that the Z28 replaced the Z27, and so that is what I ordered.

If I recall correctly, the Z28 replaced the Z24, and the Z27 replaced the Z26. The Z28 and Z24 has pips sticking out from the body to suit the Lamy Safari and AL-Star; the Z27 and Z26 don't.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

34 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

If I recall correctly, the Z28 replaced the Z24, and the Z27 replaced the Z26. The Z28 and Z24 has pips sticking out from the body to suit the Lamy Safari and AL-Star; the Z27 and Z26 don't.

Such is so.  There's a lot of room in the barrel, maybe the Z28 will fit.

3 minutes ago, USG said:

There's a lot of room in the barrel, maybe the Z28 will fit.

Maybe. I don't have a LAMY Aion. I don't think my (multiple) LAMY cp 1 pens will happily accommodate in their barrels the pips on the LAMY Z28/Z24 converters.

23 hours ago, USG said:

Such is so.  There's a lot of room in the barrel, maybe the Z28 will fit.

Unlikely. I think the nubs are too far down and interfere with a full seating around the section (I think I tried this before with my Aion). However, you can simply sand down the nubs and you're good to go. 

On 10/1/2022 at 12:08 AM, arcfide said:

Unlikely. I think the nubs are too far down and interfere with a full seating around the section (I think I tried this before with my Aion). However, you can simply sand down the nubs and you're good to go. 

Exactly what was thinking....  Show me Sand the Nubs....😆 😬

Update on the "Nubs"

You guys were spot on. 

The Z28 converter would not go all the way into the section, but the projections were very small and a sharp knife flicked them right off without leaving a mark on the converter.

IMG_2750 1024.jpg

IMG_2754 1024.jpg

IMG_2754 1024b.jpg

• 11 months later...
On 9/30/2022 at 1:04 AM, USG said:

This is specific to the LAMY Aion. 

Having read in another thread that Parker cartridges and converters are compatible with LAMY pens I tried some experiments with a new LAMY Aion.  My mistake was thinking that LAMY pens were similar enough to be able to use the same cartridges and converters.  I should have tried everything before filing with ink but I was under the impression that the nipple was the critical factor, so when I had a tight nipple fit I went ahead.

First I tried the LAMY converter from my CP1 to see if it was compatible.  No Go.  It was way too loose to make a seal.

Then I tried some Parker Cartridges.  I had empties from Script and Penman cartridges.  Both fit into the section but the Penmans' were a little shorter and tighter so I went with them.  Everything looked good so I filled the cartridge and screwed in the the barrel.

1395722976_IMG_27041024.thumb.jpg.1e0d4d5d82f0babf5a8b0f7331c80889.jpg

No Go.  LAMY has a plastic insert in the barrel that prevented full closure.

1530912907_IMG_27031024jpg.thumb.jpg.61a0f7d14e7c77498f88df1899878fc8.jpg

OK, so I siphoned the ink from the cartridge and put it into a Parker converter, thinking that the converter was a little shorter and thinner than the cartridge and that it would clear the plastic insert.

1169923404_IMG_27081024.thumb.jpg.a81bbfcdad6c1a08331fabe508f50a92.jpg

With the full Converter in place I screwed on the barrel.  Wrong again.  It left an annoying gap.

873644289_IMG_26981024.thumb.jpg.0f91ae5885ed5a5ee717fb9714bf869a.jpg

So Parker Cartridges and Converters may be compatible with other LAMY pens, but they are NOT compatible with a LAMY Aion.

Another thought is that this might be a recent change by LAMY to promote exclusiveness.  I had read that Pilot G2 gel refills fit into LAMY 2000 rollerballs.  I have a recent one, and G2 refills do not go in the section all the way.  Uniball and Pentel fit but require fore and aft spacers for a perfect fit.

Hi, try the Online brand refills, they have it in a lot of colors. The only converter for that pen is the Z27, the one with the black piston.

Erredierre

2 hours ago, erredierre said:

Hi, try the Online brand refills, they have it in a lot of colors. The only converter for that pen is the Z27, the one with the black piston.

Hi ERD-

Here's a Recap:

1. I accidentally bought the "orange" converter with the little nubs on it. 
  2. The nubs prevented it from fitting in the Aion. 
  3. A sharp knife easily took the nubs off without leaving a mark. (see pic below)
  4. I also ordered the proper "black" converter
  5. Both converters fit in the Aion.  I use them for different inks.

Old pic from 10'22

1396290785_IMG_27541024.thumb.jpg.d87b608d314ceb30d8098f781bd9352a.jpg1522424900_IMG_27541024b.thumb.jpg.383b3db38cd34cf863baf093205e8409.jpg

Today:

IMG_4262900.jpg.68bf0a7a651bd49550143d88d57e7bcc.jpg

IMG_4263900.jpg.b806670c2bd635e0d5e730147c02d6ce.jpg