How Easily Does Your Ballpoint Start?

mitchjg

Not a ton of experience with ball points as my daily is a Lamy Safari with a 1.1 nib, but my Uniball's and Fisher Space Pen are the best in starting right up with no skipping.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mitchjg

• Black Spot

• 51ISH

• The Elevator

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Growing up in Sweden meant the best ballpoint pens were the Ballograf pens. I still use them frequently and they always seem to start writing instantly even if they haven't been used for a while. If I can't find a Ballograf I don't mind writing with a Parker pen.

• 1 month later...

I'm not much of a ballpoint user, but I do have:
Bic Cristal M (my favorite ballpoint of all time, lose my cap and I will be very cross with you) — this is what I use for taking phone messages, or any other task that requires leaving my pen open for a long time with intermittent writing)
Schmidt 2010M rollerball-size ballpoint refill (for my Graf von Faber-Castell rhodium Guilloche, this refill may no longer be available) — I no longer really use this pen, but I carried it for years just to have a fancy pen for signing credit card receipts on thermal paper when I went to nice restaurants.
Fisher Bullet Space Pen (emergency backup) — rarely ever leaves my little "survival kit" pouch in my handbag
Cross Metropolis ballpoint (because it came as part of the set) — I really don't use this, at all.

I really super dislike rollerballs and gel pens. If I'm not using a fountain pen or a mechanical pencil, then it's a ballpoint I'll reach for.

Paige Paigen

Gemma Seymour, Founder & Designer, Paige Paigen

Daily use pens & ink: TWSBI ECO-T EF, TWSBI ECO 1.1 mm stub italic, Mrs. Stewart's Concentrated Liquid Bluing

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/28/2023 at 12:04 AM, amper said:

I'm not much of a ballpoint user, but I do have:
Bic Cristal M (my favorite ballpoint of all time, lose my cap and I will be very cross with you) — this is what I use for taking phone messages, or any other task that requires leaving my pen open for a long time with intermittent writing)
Schmidt 2010M rollerball-size ballpoint refill (for my Graf von Faber-Castell rhodium Guilloche, this refill may no longer be available) — I no longer really use this pen, but I carried it for years just to have a fancy pen for signing credit card receipts on thermal paper when I went to nice restaurants.
Fisher Bullet Space Pen (emergency backup) — rarely ever leaves my little "survival kit" pouch in my handbag
Cross Metropolis ballpoint (because it came as part of the set) — I really don't use this, at all.

I really super dislike rollerballs and gel pens. If I'm not using a fountain pen or a mechanical pencil, then it's a ballpoint I'll reach for.

If you have any ballpoints that take the Parker type refill and you haven't tried one already you may like to try a Schmidt P900 refill in Broad.  It was recommended to me on this site about 8 years ago, and I haven't found anything better since. They last for ages, and are lovely ballpoints, they don't feel like a Broad they behave, and feel like a Med refill, but put down a Broad line if that makes any sense??  I won't buy a ballpoint if it doesn't take this refill I have a Lamy 2000 refill and use Lamy Broad, it's good, but not as good as the Schmidt and can be a poor starter. 🙁

On 9/26/2022 at 5:26 PM, mitchjg said:

Is this "just the way it is" with  traditional ballpoints and it is part of their nature?

Do you experience the same?

Are there any brands/models out there that also write first time, every time?

In my experience, this is a near-universal problem with the so-called "traditional" ballpoints. For many years, I used free "death stick" ballpoint pens from hotels, and the results were always death grip and sluggish ink flow. Over time it became so much of a problem for my hands that began to transition my writing instruments exclusively to gel pens. (During that transition I discovered fountain pens, but that's another story)

In my case, the verdict is in: Gel and Roller pens have proven their superiority. The only ballpoints I purchase nowadays are Hybrids or pressurized.

So, if you want a ballpoint pen that starts up first time, every time, your best bet is a pressurized ink or a hybrid ink. I love my pressurized Uni Power Tank, and it has a home in my car as my "Ready when you are" pen. I also have several Pilot Acros and Uni Jetstreams, which have all performed well.

If the extra cost of hybrids and pressurized inks is prohibitive for you, I have had acceptable results with the Bic Cristal 1.6 and the Ultra Round Stic Grip. In my opinion, Papermate Inkjoy (Ballpoint Versions 100ST, 100RT, 300RT, 700RT) are not worth it compared to Bic. They flow more freely once started, but they start harder, smudge more, and run out more quickly.

On 2/12/2023 at 4:50 PM, 51ISH said:

If you have any ballpoints that take the Parker type refill and you haven't tried one already you may like to try a Schmidt P900 refill in Broad

Competitor opinion: Uni SXR600 also fits in Parker style pens and in my opinion flows much better. The downside is that it is much more expensive.

Edited by The Elevator

Song of the week: “Someday” (One Republic)

If your car has them, make sure to change your timing belts every 80-100,000 miles. (Or shorter if specified in the manual)

3 hours ago, The Elevator said:

In my experience, this is a near-universal problem with the so-called "traditional" ballpoints. For many years, I used free "death stick" ballpoint pens from hotels, and the results were always death grip and sluggish ink flow. Over time it became so much of a problem for my hands that began to transition my writing instruments exclusively to gel pens. (During that transition I discovered fountain pens, but that's another story)

In my case, the verdict is in: Gel and Roller pens have proven their superiority. The only ballpoints I purchase nowadays are Hybrids or pressurized.

So, if you want a ballpoint pen that starts up first time, every time, your best bet is a pressurized ink or a hybrid ink. I love my pressurized Uni Power Tank, and it has a home in my car as my "Ready when you are" pen. I also have several Pilot Acros and Uni Jetstreams, which have all performed well.

If the extra cost of hybrids and pressurized inks is prohibitive for you, I have had acceptable results with the Bic Cristal 1.6 and the Ultra Round Stic Grip. In my opinion, Papermate Inkjoy (Ballpoint Versions 100ST, 100RT, 300RT, 700RT) are not worth it compared to Bic. They flow more freely once started, but they start harder, smudge more, and run out more quickly.

Competitor opinion: Uni SXR600 also fits in Parker style pens and in my opinion flows much better. The downside is that it is much more expensive.

I've not tried (or even knew of) Jetstream Uni SXR600 ballpoint refills.  I've quite a few Jetstream rollerballs and find them 'too glass like' and lacking in any feedback for my liking. I notice the SXR600 in the UK is selling for £9 each refill at Cult Pens....the P900 refill is £1 each.....and is incredible value at that price IMHO. Of course YMMV.... I think I'm happy to 'stick' for now.

Top of my wish-list is a fine Parker style G2 to put in my Kaweco Sport rollerball pen. The fill it came with is too broad for me and the 'fine' Quink refill I bought to replace it isn't much better and too 'sticky' as well. Is the costly SXR600 the only option?

Will work for pens... :unsure:

13 hours ago, AmandaW said:

Is the costly SXR600 the only option?

It depends on how fine you are looking to go. As far as I am aware, the Uni SXR 600 is the only refill in the Parker G2 form factor to go down to 0.38. A small handful of other manufacturers go down to 0.5, but most ballpoints billed as "fine" fall in the 0.7 or 0.8 mm range, with 1.0 being "Medium" and anything greater than 1.0 being "bold."

If you are looking for a more free-flowing writing experience, there are a few gel type refills available in the Parker size. I currently have this one, (0.5) and I like it well enough to use in my Jotter on the go: https://www.jetpens.com/Ohto-Flash-Dry-Gel-Pen-Refill-Black/pd/22302

Song of the week: “Someday” (One Republic)

If your car has them, make sure to change your timing belts every 80-100,000 miles. (Or shorter if specified in the manual)