Stub Nib Ink Review - "Rohrer & Klingner - SEPIA"

Detman101

I think I'm in love...
This ink is what I have been looking for. I'm sooooo glad I didn't stop reviewing inks at "3 Oysters - Gogung"
While that ink is verrrrry nice...it's also far too red for my liking on most papers. 
THIS ink...it's cool-yellow at the core giving a "stone-brownish" Brown-Grey/Taupe that is just INSPIRING!!
I've been writing letters to people for the fun of it for the past week since I got this sample in from Vanness.
I ordered a full bottle yesterday...at the low price asked for 50ml compared to other brands, combined with the amazing lubricity, flow controllability, lovely tone and AMAZING shading...it was a slam-dunk!
This is going to be my primary ink from here on out. If I feel "Bright" I'll load up some "Sailor Manyo - Nadeshiko"...but I can't see using much else as far as brown is concerned. 
This ink nails it! 

EDIT: Hmmm...the brownness doesn't seem to show in the scan...strange.
Maybe I'll have to take a photograph of the page instead...

Image (43).jpg

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Detman101

• yazeh

• LizEF

• Bo Bo Olson

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, Detman101 said:

I think I'm in love...
This ink is what I have been looking for. I'm sooooo glad I didn't stop reviewing inks at "3 Oysters - Gogung"
While that ink is verrrrry nice...it's also far too red for my liking on most papers. 
THIS ink...it's cool-yellow at the core giving a "stone-brownish" Brown-Grey/Taupe that is just INSPIRING!!

:):lol: Congrats, Detman!  So glad you found an ink you love.  I've added it to my list of inks to sample - eventually. :D

13 hours ago, LizEF said:

:):lol: Congrats, Detman!  So glad you found an ink you love.  I've added it to my list of inks to sample - eventually. :D

Thank you! I'm happy for this journey to reach a nice conclusion. :) 
(Sorry, I originally confused you with someone else that I normally swap inks and letters with)

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

17 hours ago, Detman101 said:

Thank you! I'm happy for this journey to reach a nice conclusion. :) 
(Sorry, I originally confused you with someone else that I normally swap inks and letters with)

:) No worries - I have ink samples coming out of my ears and no place to put more.  I'm trying to use them up, but there are so many...  I should probably get a big wet stub nib... ;)

Very nice review, gotta love Sepia inks....  🙂

I"m a big fan of the brown ink family myself. 

Penman Mocha has been the default ink for my little M600 (F) pocket pen.  I stocked up back in the day but I'm running low and will have to find a replacement replacement.

LINK <-- my Ink and Paper tests

I am glad you found an ink you love.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I blow hot and cold on sepias.  Loved the color of Noodler's Whaleman's Sepia but hated the behavior.  LOVE Iroshizuku Yama-guri, Edelstein Smoky Quartz and De Atramentis Van Dyck Brown.  Hopefully a photo will show this one off to better advantage, because on my screen the ink looks more grey as well (I'm glad you said something Detman, because I thought it was just my screen at first).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

On 9/23/2022 at 12:29 PM, LizEF said:

:) No worries - I have ink samples coming out of my ears and no place to put more.  I'm trying to use them up, but there are so many...  I should probably get a big wet stub nib... ;)

WOOHOO! STUB NIB!!!!

Wait...Would you have to change your name to "LizSTUB"? 🤣

On 9/23/2022 at 2:03 PM, USG said:

Very nice review, gotta love Sepia inks....  🙂

I"m a big fan of the brown ink family myself. 

Penman Mocha has been the default ink for my little M600 (F) pocket pen.  I stocked up back in the day but I'm running low and will have to find a replacement replacement.

Ooooh..."Penman - Mocha"....I've heard that one is ultra rare! :o 

20 hours ago, amberleadavis said:

I am glad you found an ink you love.

Thank you, I've been so satisfied this weekend :D 

9 hours ago, PithyProlix said:

If I was limited to one taupe I would be happy with this one. Glad you found an ink you love. 

Thank you so much, I believe I can proudly say the same thing. :D 

9 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

I blow hot and cold on sepias.  Loved the color of Noodler's Whaleman's Sepia but hated the behavior.  LOVE Iroshizuku Yama-guri, Edelstein Smoky Quartz and De Atramentis Van Dyck Brown.  Hopefully a photo will show this one off to better advantage, because on my screen the ink looks more grey as well (I'm glad you said something Detman, because I thought it was just my screen at first).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Oof...Noodlers inks. I've stayed away from all things Noodler...though I was heavily tempted by the "Kiowa Pecan".  Edelstein Smoky Quartz was my absolute favorite brown until the search for taupes began. 😁
Kewl...so it's not just me. This ink looks perfectly brown-grey on paper with my eyes...but the scanner shows something completely lifeless. 
A photo will definitely be needed. 

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

41 minutes ago, Detman101 said:

WOOHOO! STUB NIB!!!!

Wait...Would you have to change your name to "LizSTUB"? 🤣

:lticaptd:Actually, I have a Nemosine 0.6mm stub that's quite wet and it does great things for my handwriting. :D  So, no name change needed, just the occasional guest nib.

• 4 months later...

Well...at the request of @Mercian, I am updating my information on this ink.
I have decided to leave this ink for another wom....er....ink.
I've been captivated by "Iroshizuku - Yama-Guri" and I just cannot go back to "R&K Sepia". 

Reasons for leaving:

1. Yama-Guri has better lubricity
  2. Yama-Guri doesn't leak into my cap
  3. Yama-Guri holds it's chemical composure longer and better (doesn't start getting runny after a week in the pen)
  4. Yama-Guri has a "Color Shift" property (in my usage) where it goes down chestnut-brown and dries to a brownish-grey Taupe....one of the characteristics of my favorite inks! :D 
  5. Yama-Guri comes in a beautiful "Pilot - Iroshizuku" 50ml bottle 💘
  6. Yama-Guri flows soooooo beautifully without being too "wet" as most Iroshizuku inks are known to be
  7. Yama-Guri just does everything "R&K Sepia" does...just easier, better and more gracefully!

Sooooo...that's it, I'm ordering my bottle of "Iroshizuku - Yama-Guri" fairly soon, enjoying my sample fill currently still.
Will post a review when the official bottle arrives :D 

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

R&K Sepia requires a very clean pen, and one is not to mix it..............it has lain around by me for ages.......I really got to open that bottle........now that I got a clean pen or three.

I am/was more use to a brownish sepia than a grayish one...

One day I can check it vs a few gray inks.

I do have wet Pelikan nibs for a overly dry ink:rolleyes:.....and often if one is using a dry ink on a slick paper, one can get shading.....

...grumble cubed.

First comes the four pen/ink violet/amethyst test.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

15 hours ago, Detman101 said:
I have decided to leave this ink for another wom....er....ink.
I've been captivated by "Iroshizuku - Yama-Guri" and I just cannot go back to "R&K Sepia". 

Sooooo...that's it, I'm ordering my bottle of "Iroshizuku - Yama-Guri" fairly soon, enjoying my sample fill currently still.
Will post a review when the official bottle arrives :D 

That is excellent information, and saved me the purchase of a bottle of R&K Sepia, thank you!

I have and love Yama Guri, but was wondering about the R&K... not anymore. After all, in my small corner or world, the Iroshizuku are only twice the price of the R&K, very reasonable 😇

I will be looking forward to your "official" review!

On 2/19/2023 at 3:06 AM, Detman101 said:

Yama-Guri has better lubricity

Detman is it appears interested in smoothness.

I like shading, so am willing to put up with not as smooth as butter.

Well instead of using skinny dry Japanese nibs, one could use a nice and wet Pelikan nib for the R&K Sepia, and I bet a slick paper like Rhoda or CT helps lubrication also.................................not as much as I expected.

I don't know that Japanese to me super expensive ink (here in Germany...E-25+)nor am I ever going to get it.  Japanese inks are 'known' to be wet.

You didn't mention how or if, your Japanese ink shades????

The OP was very happy in how wet and how good R&K Sepia shaded....

Coming right up.....if I can find a flexi pen....yep, have one in mind in vintage M.

All my easy to hand wider nibs are in use....So I'm not getting the OP's example.

This is semi-vintage (1983..the 200 came in in '85.)) M481 era tear drop tipped nib so 1/2 a width narrower than modern double ball Pelikan nibs. Pelikan M481, regular flex M, being used for the first time. Paper CT 90g.

The ink is a bit dry.....otherwise it wouldn't shade even a little. Hiss of sound on good paper, none on a lesser paper. Not a ink that really feels like a pencil. I see it as a dark gray.....

Bit dry on a slick paper.

Tried 100% cotton Strathmore, there is a paper sound.

On 2/19/2023 at 3:06 AM, Detman101 said:

"Color Shift"

Don't know how long I'd have to wait....but I get none.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

On 2/19/2023 at 9:57 AM, yazeh said:

@Detman101, I'm wondering how long will it take you to leave Yama-Guri for another one ;)

I've been seeing the "Kobe - Sumiyoshi Brown" and "Kobe - Nada Brown" twins on the lowdown too... 🤣

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

38 minutes ago, Detman101 said:

I've been seeing the "Kobe - Sumiyoshi Brown" and "Kobe - Nada Brown" twins on the lowdown too... 🤣

😆