Jump to content
Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

Stub Nib Ink Review - "Rohrer & Klingner - SEPIA"


Detman101
 Share

Recommended Posts

I think I'm in love...
This ink is what I have been looking for. I'm sooooo glad I didn't stop reviewing inks at "3 Oysters - Gogung"
While that ink is verrrrry nice...it's also far too red for my liking on most papers. 
THIS ink...it's cool-yellow at the core giving a "stone-brownish" Brown-Grey/Taupe that is just INSPIRING!!
I've been writing letters to people for the fun of it for the past week since I got this sample in from Vanness.
I ordered a full bottle yesterday...at the low price asked for 50ml compared to other brands, combined with the amazing lubricity, flow controllability, lovely tone and AMAZING shading...it was a slam-dunk!
This is going to be my primary ink from here on out. If I feel "Bright" I'll load up some "Sailor Manyo - Nadeshiko"...but I can't see using much else as far as brown is concerned. 
This ink nails it! 

EDIT: Hmmm...the brownness doesn't seem to show in the scan...strange.
Maybe I'll have to take a photograph of the page instead...

Image (43).jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • PithyProlix

    1

  • inkstainedruth

    1

  • LizEF

    3

  • Detman101

    3

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, Detman101 said:

I think I'm in love...
This ink is what I have been looking for. I'm sooooo glad I didn't stop reviewing inks at "3 Oysters - Gogung"
While that ink is verrrrry nice...it's also far too red for my liking on most papers. 
THIS ink...it's cool-yellow at the core giving a "stone-brownish" Brown-Grey/Taupe that is just INSPIRING!!

:):lol: Congrats, Detman!  So glad you found an ink you love.  I've added it to my list of inks to sample - eventually. :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, LizEF said:

:):lol: Congrats, Detman!  So glad you found an ink you love.  I've added it to my list of inks to sample - eventually. :D

Thank you! I'm happy for this journey to reach a nice conclusion. :) 
(Sorry, I originally confused you with someone else that I normally swap inks and letters with)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow. Glad you found your forever ink, for now. ;)

It's a really nice colour. :thumbup:

It reminds me a bit of R&K Document Brown... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Detman101 said:

Thank you! I'm happy for this journey to reach a nice conclusion. :) 
(Sorry, I originally confused you with someone else that I normally swap inks and letters with)

:) No worries - I have ink samples coming out of my ears and no place to put more.  I'm trying to use them up, but there are so many...  I should probably get a big wet stub nib... ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very nice review, gotta love Sepia inks....  🙂

I"m a big fan of the brown ink family myself. 

Penman Mocha has been the default ink for my little M600 (F) pocket pen.  I stocked up back in the day but I'm running low and will have to find a replacement replacement.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am glad you found an ink you love.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If I was limited to one taupe I would be happy with this one. Glad you found an ink you love. 

Script nib for writing screenplays. • Fine nib for my best writing. • Extra fine for my *very* best writing. • Medium for requesting a séance. • Bold for adventure stories. • Manifold for many various types of writing. • Coarse for indignant letters. • Oblique for making a point in a roundabout way. • Italic when I'm inclined. • Stub for when I intend to leave a manuscript unfinis

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I blow hot and cold on sepias.  Loved the color of Noodler's Whaleman's Sepia but hated the behavior.  LOVE Iroshizuku Yama-guri, Edelstein Smoky Quartz and De Atramentis Van Dyck Brown.  Hopefully a photo will show this one off to better advantage, because on my screen the ink looks more grey as well (I'm glad you said something Detman, because I thought it was just my screen at first).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/23/2022 at 12:29 PM, LizEF said:

:) No worries - I have ink samples coming out of my ears and no place to put more.  I'm trying to use them up, but there are so many...  I should probably get a big wet stub nib... ;)

WOOHOO! STUB NIB!!!!

Wait...Would you have to change your name to "LizSTUB"? 🤣

On 9/23/2022 at 2:03 PM, USG said:

Very nice review, gotta love Sepia inks....  🙂

I"m a big fan of the brown ink family myself. 

Penman Mocha has been the default ink for my little M600 (F) pocket pen.  I stocked up back in the day but I'm running low and will have to find a replacement replacement.

Ooooh..."Penman - Mocha"....I've heard that one is ultra rare! :o 

20 hours ago, amberleadavis said:

I am glad you found an ink you love.

Thank you, I've been so satisfied this weekend :D 

9 hours ago, PithyProlix said:

If I was limited to one taupe I would be happy with this one. Glad you found an ink you love. 

Thank you so much, I believe I can proudly say the same thing. :D 

9 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

I blow hot and cold on sepias.  Loved the color of Noodler's Whaleman's Sepia but hated the behavior.  LOVE Iroshizuku Yama-guri, Edelstein Smoky Quartz and De Atramentis Van Dyck Brown.  Hopefully a photo will show this one off to better advantage, because on my screen the ink looks more grey as well (I'm glad you said something Detman, because I thought it was just my screen at first).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Oof...Noodlers inks. I've stayed away from all things Noodler...though I was heavily tempted by the "Kiowa Pecan".  Edelstein Smoky Quartz was my absolute favorite brown until the search for taupes began. 😁
Kewl...so it's not just me. This ink looks perfectly brown-grey on paper with my eyes...but the scanner shows something completely lifeless. 
A photo will definitely be needed. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Detman101 said:

WOOHOO! STUB NIB!!!!

Wait...Would you have to change your name to "LizSTUB"? 🤣

:lticaptd:Actually, I have a Nemosine 0.6mm stub that's quite wet and it does great things for my handwriting. :D  So, no name change needed, just the occasional guest nib.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share








×
×
  • Create New...