Looking for a notebook cover

sharktm

I think that I am in need of some help. I have been using an apica notebook wear cover for a few years now and have really liked it, it’s very easy to put new notebooks in and is very convenient. Lately I have been looking for something similar but in a larger size hopefully something that will hold around an A4 sized notebook, but I have been unable to find something simple that I can swap an easily available notebook in and out of. Ideally I am looking for a refillable notebook that takes and A4 notebook, I’m trying to avoid binders as I don’t like the rings. I know of midori's traveler's notebook but am not a fan of the size. Any help would be appreciated.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• txomsy

• sharktm

• inkypete

• ridiculopathy

A4 limits the choices a little as many companies do A5 but not the larger. I had a couple of A5 and A4 made by Gfeller. I am a huge fan of their work and the covers. Not inexpensive but I think hard to beat for all round quality. If they don't have exactly what you want email them with your preferred notebook and they will quote and make to order.

https://gfeller.us

You will also find many private makers on Etsy. 

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

thank your for the suggestion I'll have to take a look. I know looking for an A4 is going to limit me and I would prefer an A4 but smaller isn't a deal breaker.

Midori makes an A4 goat leather cover (search for Midori MD Goat Leather Cover), but it is quite expensive. Their paper cover is much more affordable and is also a good durable choice. If you look on Etsy, I have been eying the “EternalLeatherGoods” shop (no A4 options but he is open to requests). It looks like he has good reviews, but I have not taken the plunge yet.

A cursory look on amazon.com for 'A4 notebook cover' shows many hits. it is a bit of a PITA to sort through them and tell apart good from bad, but you can find Leuchturn (35USD), and many real leather covers for reasonable prices (~40USD) -though there are more expensive ones.

I would advice a real leather cover. It will last, is maintainable, recyclable and ages gracefully

I have had "leather" covers that were actually PU or other artificial mimics. The artificial ones (no matter how "premium hand-made quality leather" they are sold as --you may need to read in depth the tiny print to see if they are artificial/vegan/PU/whatever) may easily cost you as much (or even more) as the genuine full grain leather ones, and all of them (the artificial ones) in my experience end up wearing off and looking disgustingly nasty.

A real leather one may wear off... but then it will only look better, and is easy to take care of with a bit of hand cream/ wax/or even if you feel wasty, specialized products.

Other good materials may be Kraft paper, cotton fabric or cork. At least they don't (usually) try to sell these as what they are not.

Other searches that may be useful are for "book cover" or "portfolio".

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

On 9/17/2022 at 7:03 PM, sharktm said:

I have been unable to find something simple that I can swap an easily available notebook in and out of. Ideally I am looking for a refillable notebook that takes and A4 notebook, I’m trying to avoid binders as I don’t like the rings. I know of midori's traveler's notebook but am not a fan of the size.

While some of those Apica covers have some nice features to them, if the simplicity of Midori's Traveler meets your needs in every way except the size, then consider making your own notebook cover:

There are at least a dozen more DIY tutorials for these sorts of things, so if this one doesn't float your boat there is still a decent chance that you'll find one that inspires you.

My go to guy is Arthur, I have several pieces from his collection and they’re all outstanding and have held up beautifully for  over 20 years.

If necessary he can do custom work for you.

https://innovativejournaling.com/

—Cindy

“This is the sort of pedantry up with which I will not put.”

—Winston Churchill (attributed)

That's cool and prices are in range with other offers. I'll have to bookmark it.

I just bought a nice leather one from Pen Heaven. They have two different models of refillable journal covers in A4 size for a little over $50 (including one insert, and you can buy more inserts if you like them). One of them can be monogrammed. Excellent shipping, $8 total for air express from UK to US. They have a US online store (if you're in the US) at penheaven.com. Very fast turnaround. Not affiliated, just a recent happy customer.

I could have sworn I found out about these covers here on FPN but I'm blessed if I can find the post. 

Yeah, make your own! A few sheets of leather or fabric. Some appropriately strong thread. Blade, needle, maybe a hole punch, maybe a lighter. 🦾

Should you opt for the DIY suggestion, you may find some useful tips off this thread