• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul_LZ

• A Smug Dill

• arcfide

Top Posters In This Topic

Options:

1. Live with the capacity of the standard Sailor ink converter.
  2. Refill an empty Sailor ink cartridge with an eyedropper or syringe, if you simply need an ink reservoir with a larger capacity for your (bottled) ink of choice for the pen.
  3. Build your own, either using the front part of a Sailor ink cartridge as a connector and attach your own reservoir-with-vacuum-producing-mechanism to it, or fabricate (e.g. by 3D printing) the whole thing from scratch. Be prepared to fail a few times until you get to what is optimal; and keep in mind the physical limitations of the cavity of your pen barrel, which is up to you to discover and/or measure, as opposed to having someone else already done the work so that you could not get it wrong or screw up an attempt (at your cost).

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

14 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

Options:

1. Live with the capacity of the standard Sailor ink converter.
  2. Refill an empty Sailor ink cartridge with an eyedropper or syringe, if you simply need an ink reservoir with a larger capacity for your (bottled) ink of choice for the pen.
  3. Build your own, either using the front part of a Sailor ink cartridge as a connector and attach your own reservoir-with-vacuum-producing-mechanism to it, or fabricate (e.g. by 3D printing) the whole thing from scratch. Be prepared to fail a few times until you get to what is optimal; and keep in mind the physical limitations of the cavity of your pen barrel, which is up to you to discover and/or measure, as opposed to having someone else already done the work so that you could not get it wrong or screw up an attempt (at your cost).

Thank you Dill.

the second choice seems good enough and not too complicated. The question is, will the mouth if the Sailor cartridge support using it more than once without eventually getting wider and leaking? If so, the first option may be the one to adopt

30 minutes ago, Paul_LZ said:

The question is, will the mouth if the Sailor cartridge support using it more than once without eventually getting wider and leaking?

Yes.

Sailor sells extra sturdy empty converters as a retail product, too:

https://en.sailor.co.jp/product/14-1006/

Here's a testimonial from @arcfide for the product:

On 2/6/2021 at 2:20 PM, arcfide said:

The literature specifically makes mention of the higher ink capacity of doing things this way rather than using a converter. This is the first time that I have seen a pen manufacturer actually supply a kit specifically designed to "refill cartridges" intentionally, as well as including instructions and the like. Moreover, the empty cartridge included in the kit has what appear to be reinforced sidewalls and a stronger rear plug.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Yep, as @A Smug Dill mentions, I can confirm that Sailor's "maintenance kit" or refillable cartridges work well. Their refillable empty cartridges are very durable, and their syringe attachment for flushing a pen is very effective. I find the system particularly economical with large Sailor nibs, which i find can sometimes feel somewhat difficult to use with their ink bottles and a small converter, where I feel as though I'm wasting as much ink wiping the nib as I am getting into the converter. 

One thing to remember, of course, is that a benefit of the piston/converter system is that you are, more or less, washing and rinsing the nib every time that you use the converter, assuming that you're using a water-soluble ink. This can ensure that the pen can work pretty well for a long time without cleaning. With a refilled cartridge, you are not constantly bathing the nib in fresh ink, so the likelihood of developing crusty deposits or dried ink on the nib over time is higher. Thus, while I think you can go quite a while using standard, safe inks in a converter or piston filled pen without much cleaning, you may benefit from flushing the pen more intentionally every month or so if you refill cartridges or use cartridges as your primary ink delivery system. 

Also, take a look at this interesting post on Reddit. A custom made, extra large cartridge for a Sailor King of Pen.

I built it! it's basically a chopped-off section of a 3ml oral syringe epoxied onto the front half of an emptied-out Sailor cartridge. I might make a how-to if there's any interest.