Pelikan M605 second-hand purchase repair need help

nive

Hello. It's my first post on fountain pen network. I need some help trying to clean my newly purchased m605. Or I guess you might as well call it a repair at this rate.

Essentially, some old ink trapped between the piston and the barrel. Initially, it was all over the piston wall too as that was the condition left by the previous owner.

I thought I could clean it on my own but as you can see there are still some ink in there. 

I tried to soak it in water, soap water and pen flush. I also used pen flush and ultrasonic cleaner together but ink in the double seal can't seem to get out.

What can I do? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

P_20220905_200127.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nive

• OCArt

• Nethermark

• LoveBigPensAndCannotLie

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First, congratulations on your new pen, you will get many years of enjoyment from it. The white tortoise does tend to show dirt although yours looks pretty clean to me.  If the dirt is between the nib and piston you can remove the nib to better flush. See 

You could then gently scrub the inside wall with a q-tip but you might then need to reapply silicone grease. (Skip to 10:35)

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

It is pretty much 95% clean but there is ink trapped between the 2 piston seals and the piston wall and water cannot travel between the seals to flush it out. So it's just kinda sitting there. I want to know if I can do anything about that. 

3 hours ago, OCArt said:

First, congratulations on your new pen, you will get many years of enjoyment from it. The white tortoise does tend to show dirt although yours looks pretty clean to me.  If the dirt is between the nib and piston you can remove the nib to better flush. See 

You could then gently scrub the inside wall with a q-tip but you might then need to reapply silicone grease. (Skip to 10:35)

Thanks, It really is a beautiful pen. I just watched the video but they mostly focus on the barrel and the nib. The ink that is stuck in my pen is between the piston and the inner wall. The piston carries the ink up and down as I twist the nob. Water can't seem to get into the seal, which is what a seal suppose to do, but it also means ink getting stuck :(

The piston on the 6XX series was not designed to be removed so there is little you can do besides repeated fils and flushing.

4 hours ago, nive said:

It is pretty much 95% clean but there is ink trapped between the 2 piston seals and the piston wall and water cannot travel between the seals to flush it out. So it's just kinda sitting there. I want to know if I can do anything about that. 

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

You could try a fill of a cleaner ink (I tend to use Doyou) to see if it's actually staining to the piston head rather than trapped ink.

Otherwise, it's perhaps destined to be a pen used with green inks...

To me this looks like ink trapped between the two flanges of the piston seal. In principle, this can be cleaned by removing the piston unit and cleaning out the ink, but this is not advisable. First of all, you may damage the pen when removing the piston unit and secondly, the problem will come back when you fill the pen with ink again.

Thanks everyone. I think I will just use green/blue inks for now and continue to clean it a few more times when I change inks. I don't want to break it after all by disassembling. 

I just cleaned out a Pelikan 140 that also had ink between the flanges of the piston seal. Repeated flushing got the ink away, but now there is water in there.