Sheaffer legacy heritage Ⅳ 2022——Disappointing new product

Yao SongYi

This article was originally planned to be the first maintenance article of Sheffer legacy heritage Ⅳ 2022, because I always have great interest in the latest styles. However, my disappointment with it has far exceeded my enthusiasm. There is no doubt that this pen makes my blood pressure rise.

The Sheffer legacy heritage Ⅳ 2022 can no longer be completely disassembled for maintenance. Its structure has changed greatly. We can no longer remove the feed without damaging the pen nip.

The feed and pen nibs have become coarser than ever.

For the convenience of display, I drew a part drawing.

A tubular object is added outside the feed. Its inner diameter changes so that it cannot be separated from the feed after assembly. At the same time, there is a layer of hard glue outside it, which makes it impossible to disassemble it.

At the same time, the pen nib becomes weak and easy to fall off. The thickness of the pen tip is only 0.15mm-0.18mm. This ultra-thin pen tip makes the hooks on both sides ineffective, and the ink leakage has not been effectively improved.

Unfortunately, this is a disappointing new product. Obviously, it has a better choice. We don't know whether it is because of the cost problem that makes the workmanship of Sheffer rough. At the same time, the new design will completely prevent the third party from repairing. In the future, it can only be replaced through Sheffer's official after-sales service. 

I don't want planned obsolescence to appear in pen design in the future !

IMG_20220827_235115.jpg

IMG_20220827_235128.jpg

1661614949128.jpg

mmexport1661570477102.jpg

mmexport1661570475626.jpg

mmexport1661570472867.jpg

IMG_20220828_010849.jpg

IMG_20220828_010841.jpg

IMG_20220827_235245.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Yao SongYi

• JonSzanto

• Boiling Black Coffee

• TSherbs

What a piece of junk! If this is what is in store for the future of Sheaffer, the brand is dead. However...

What is going to change now that the Sheaffer brand/company has been purchased by the Indian company? Will they change manufacturing? Will they redesign pens? Who knows?

Even the cheapest versions of the earlier Sheaffer inlaid nibs were far, far better. It is depressing to look at these photos.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

5 hours ago, JonSzanto said:

What a piece of junk! If this is what is in store for the future of Sheaffer, the brand is dead. However...

What is going to change now that the Sheaffer brand/company has been purchased by the Indian company? Will they change manufacturing? Will they redesign pens? Who knows?

Even the cheapest versions of the earlier Sheaffer inlaid nibs were far, far better. It is depressing to look at these photos.

Sheffer legacy heritage Ⅳ 2022 is a masterpiece planned by cross. It is so crude that I can't describe it in words. Let's change our thinking. In the past two years, the retrogression and cost saving of pens are obvious. This is not just a problem of Sheaffer. Especially for pen companies controlled by fast moving consumer goods, the decision makers will certainly move towards the direction that is more conducive to industrial production and saves costs as much as possible.

Is this the same Sheaffer Legacy Heritage which was announced back in 2020 ?

I pre-ordered one in November 2020, and the last update i received from the vendor 4 months ago was that it was released but then immediately recalled by Sheaffer.

I am still waiting for mine.

On 9/12/2022 at 6:36 AM, elkoko_pen said:

II am still waiting for mine.

I would most definitely ask for a refund. You'll never see that pen.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

On 9/5/2022 at 12:39 AM, Boiling Black Coffee said:

I put this in Google Translate and it came up "Film Director." I guess this is a subtlety that Google Translate can't handle. 

On 9/17/2022 at 7:44 AM, Paul-in-SF said:

I put this in Google Translate and it came up "Film Director." I guess this is a subtlety that Google Translate can't handle. 

hahaha. 总监 is the nickname we gave to the thread starter in Chinese, which means "director", and 膜 means worship. Just a kind of logrolling.

one of the reasons,why I still prefer older legacys 1 and 2 which were made in the USA and of much better quality

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 4 weeks later...

I own many Sheaffer Legacy fountain pensThe very first photo shows a converter among the parts, but the insertion-end of the converter does not look like a Sheaffer converter, as the one in the photo has a "lip" at the insertion-end; the lip is of a smaller diameter than the main body of the converter.  The authentic Sheaffer converters are essentially flat at that end, just like the Sheaffer cartridges.  Is the Sheaffer Legacy pictured an authentic Sheaffer? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2022/10/13 at PM10点16分, donnweinberg said:

我有很多 Sheaffer Legacy 钢笔第一张照片是零件中的一个转换器,但是转换器的插入端看起来不像 Sheaffer 转换器,因为照片中的那个在插入端有一个“唇”;唇部的直径小于转换器的主体。真正的 Sheaffer 转换器在那一端基本上是扁平的,就像 Sheaffer 墨盒一样。Sheaffer Legacy 图片中的 Sheaffer Legacy 是正宗的 Sheaffer 吗? 

Yes, all the parts in this picture are original Sheaffer, but it obviously shares the same mold, and the size of the parts is almost the same as that of many other brands.