Is this an Equipoise ?

PatrickA

Hello,

I have a Wahl Eversharp with a nice gold seal flexible nib, Unfortunately we don't see too many of these pens in the Netherlands and I am struggling a little to properly identify the type/date. Based on the many photo's and references I found on this forum I would say it is an Equipoise (Type 4?) but I haven't seen a photo yet which matches exactly. 

Would appreciate it someone could confirm ....., thanks in advance.

IMG_2330.jpeg

IMG_2332.jpeg

IMG_2334.jpeg

Edited by PatrickA

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PatrickA

• crescentfiller

• Wahl

• mizgeorge

4 hours ago, Wahl said:

I  would say it is an Equipoised.

Thanks, that's what I thought as well but couldn't find an exact match for the cap on any of the photo's in this forum.

This is my first Wahl Eversharp, now kind of tempted to go look for a Skyline.

6 hours ago, Wahl said:

I  would say it is an Equipoised.

And I would say it's beautiful! What a nice find :)

Do the ends have shallow points on them? I can't tell from the photos. The shape looks right, but I have two pens that are like this (about 5" long) and the clips are higher and the gold seal is between the clip and the cap band. Maybe this is a feature that changed over time, but these were only produced for a couple of years, weren't they? Is yours bigger than 5"?

I'm only familiar with three types of these transitional pens (pre-Doric): the pointy-ended Sheaffer Balance clone, the less-pointy ended one, and this one. My only source for this is Richard Binder's Wahl-Eversharp book, in which he has only a couple of pages between Wahl pens and the Doric. PenHero doesn't seem to cover this model. 

edited to add: I see that Peyton Street Pens has at least two that she identifies as Equi-Poised, and they are laid out like yours. They are both bigger than mine, one she calls full size at 5-3/16" and the other oversized at 5-5/8". So I think that confirms that yours is indeed an Equi-Poised model. 

5 hours ago, Paul-in-SF said:

Do the ends have shallow points on them? I can't tell from the photos. The shape looks right, but I have two pens that are like this (about 5" long) and the clips are higher and the gold seal is between the clip and the cap band. Maybe this is a feature that changed over time, but these were only produced for a couple of years, weren't they? Is yours bigger than 5"?

I'm only familiar with three types of these transitional pens (pre-Doric): the pointy-ended Sheaffer Balance clone, the less-pointy ended one, and this one. My only source for this is Richard Binder's Wahl-Eversharp book, in which he has only a couple of pages between Wahl pens and the Doric. PenHero doesn't seem to cover this model. 

edited to add: I see that Peyton Street Pens has at least two that she identifies as Equi-Poised, and they are laid out like yours. They are both bigger than mine, one she calls full size at 5-3/16" and the other oversized at 5-5/8". So I think that confirms that yours is indeed an Equi-Poised model. 

It has kind of a shallow pointy end on the cap and barrel. total length capped about 5,2"  (± 132mm), similar to the full size you mention.

IMG_2341.jpeg

5 hours ago, mizgeorge said:

And I would say it's beautiful! What a nice find :)

Thanks, totally agree 😀

On 8/30/2022 at 1:23 AM, Paul-in-SF said:

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I was able to find a some photo's of pens with the same cap lay-out but only a handful. 

I have replaced the old sac (this type of pressure bar was a first for me) and are enjoying the pen.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for posting, it does indeed look like the same pen.

Do you also have a flexible nib in your pen or one of the other gold seal nibs?

2 hours ago, PatrickA said:

Thanks for posting, it does indeed look like the same pen.

Do you also have a flexible nib in your pen or one of the other gold seal nibs?

If you look closely, you'll see that the Gold Seal in the cap is drilled: the pen, therefore, has a Warranted nib (No. 5 and factory correct). The drilling voided the lifetime warranty.

It's funny that I was just about to list this pen when I saw your post! What timing!

On 9/30/2022 at 2:06 AM, crescentfiller said:

It's funny that I was just about to list this pen when I saw your post! What timing!

Ah, I didn't notice the drilling, on the timing, happy to be of service 😇