Simple double-barreled request - British Racing Green (this specific flavor) wet AND dry

Chouffleur

Rather than go over old ground about the platonic ideal of "British Racing Green" I thought I'd be more specific in my request.

I am completely full up on ink. My current inventory (samples and bottles) and usage rate suggests that I would need to live well into my 150s before running out.

I am, however willing to make room for this:

I would like to see this in two forms - Wet (the color as it comes out of the pen) with some guidance as to the nib being used in order to duplicate the effect and Dry (the color as it appears after fully dried) with some guidance as to the paper used.

I know that our monitors are not in tune and that there will be shade differences but it's the thought (and the starting point) that counts.

1966-Jaguar-XJ13-Le-Mans-18.png

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Chouffleur

• tzinc

• Mayo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here is @Cyber6's comparisons.

spacer.png

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 4 months later...

MB British Racing Green in my opinion was olive based. I don't think of British Racing Green as being olive, black-green, or any having any other colour like blue or brown. I think of British Racing Green as a DARK green. Very green but very dark like the cars I see coloured in British Racing Green (including my Matchbox Jaguar). I am on the outlook for this colour there are several sites online that do colour ink comparisons and analysis I have looked at. I am thinking maybe Sailor Miruai might be the colour I am looking for but I am still looking.

22 hours ago, tzinc said:

MB British Racing Green in my opinion was olive based. I don't think of British Racing Green as being olive, black-green, or any having any other colour like blue or brown. I think of British Racing Green as a DARK green. Very green but very dark like the cars I see coloured in British Racing Green (including my Matchbox Jaguar). I am on the outlook for this colour there are several sites online that do colour ink comparisons and analysis I have looked at. I am thinking maybe Sailor Miruai might be the colour I am looking for but I am still looking.

When you find it, let me know here. ;-)

I found Sailor Miruai so dark as an ink that it was almost indistinguishable from black. You would need a broad nib to see any green in it, in my opinion.

According to a site called corsai.us (and I have no idea what the source of their authority on this subject is), BRG corresponds to hex #004225. You can find that here on inkswatch.com, together with the closest inks they can find. If you don't like that swatch, click on it and change the parameters until you are satisfied.

It's always interesting to me seeing how different swatches appear compared to what the colour looks like when coming out of a fountain pen. I'd love to find an ink that looks like "British Racing Green" when written. I own three of the inks that website suggests closely match the colour, and in person, using my pens and my paper, they never appeared similar. 

I'd be happy to buy a few inks that this thread throws up, so I look forward to seeing some more posts on the subject.

On 8/7/2022 at 2:28 PM, Chouffleur said:

Rather than go over old ground about the platonic ideal of "British Racing Green" I thought I'd be more specific in my request.

I am completely full up on ink. My current inventory (samples and bottles) and usage rate suggests that I would need to live well into my 150s before running out.

I am, however willing to make room for this:

I would like to see this in two forms - Wet (the color as it comes out of the pen) with some guidance as to the nib being used in order to duplicate the effect and Dry (the color as it appears after fully dried) with some guidance as to the paper used.

I know that our monitors are not in tune and that there will be shade differences but it's the thought (and the starting point) that counts.

1966-Jaguar-XJ13-Le-Mans-18.png

I can't help with the ink, but I WANT that car! So  beautiful. 

My mother once had an XJ sedan in Racing Green - great color.

FWIW, there is a 1970 MG MGB parked in my garage that's painted "British Racing Green". The bottle I have of Private Reserve Sherwood Green is to my eye a decent match.

There doesn't seem to be any real consensus on what "proper" British Racing Green is on a car either. Heck, the paint on my car, when I had a PPG store matched it, matched to a Jaguar color code and not the original BMC/British Leyland code it should have. The paint out the outside of the car is different color than the under hood and other original paint area colors-it's darker. I've seen factory "British Racing Green" Jaguars that were nearly black. "British Racing Green" used on MGs through the late 60s borders on teal to my eyes. Most others are somewhere between those two.

• 1 month later...

My MX-5 was in metal flake Racing green.

Back in the day...when MB ink was the most hated inks in the world. The advice I read as noobie was buy any MB ink, dump it down the sink and keep the bottle so I was going to follow that great advice.

I had the murky Racing Green the most hated ink in the world in my hand in my B&W!!!...............:rolleyes:.and seeing I was going to toss it for the brand new bottle.....I decided to try the brown in I'd never tried brown.

I was new, how was I to know Sepia wasn't brown? Cost E12, later bought a bottle of Sepia on German Ebay for E-19 and postage and thought it worth it. Still got half a bottle of that left.

Two months after Racing Green was discontinued, it became the world most liked ink..........back room alchemists tried in vain to duplicate it.

Had I bought two bottle of that I could have gone to Yale for a year.

image.png

image.png

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

large.2017-05-11_Ink_42.jpg.577c0d9b07ba6285db119610797118c1.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY