I just picked up 3 Pelikan rollerball pens. I can't tell if they're real or fake. Would anyone be able to confirm if they look authentic?

mjf3127

I don't normally collect Pelikan pens, so I'm not too familiar with them.  I really have nothing to compare them to and they just feel a bit lighter than I was expecting (although I generally think the same thing with Montblanc pens.  Thanks so much for talking a look!

20220805_131521.jpg

20220805_131553.jpg

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mjf3127

• Kalessin

• OCArt

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've never encountered a fake Pelikan not even heard of one. Your pens look correct to me.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Thanks, OCAr.  Yeah, I heard that Pelikan's aren't really faked either.  I wouldn't mind other opinions, but I think I ended up with a good deal here for about $200 for the three Pelikan's and a Waterman Edson.  I have other Edsons and I was sure that pen was real.  I figured based on that there was a good chance the Pelikans were real as well.  But I don't recall ever holding one and they seemed less substantial in my hand than what I was expecting.

They do seem like they are probably real.  They take actual Pelikin refills that screw in correctly.  When unscrewing the back to refill it has brass threading.  The caps appear to be resin and looks red when shining a bright light through it.  Dimensions seem right for M800s.  Plus I would assume it probably wouldn't be cost effective for counterfeiters to produce these pens.

I really just felt like I got too good of a deal and was hoping others would be able to tell me if they think I got fooled.  Thanks again!

They're all genuine, and from three different eras of the M800 size pen. 

The blue stripe barrel with the captop with the disc logo is the earliest, from 1987 to 1997.  It should have the Pelikan trademark painted in gray in the disc, to differentiate it from a fountain pen, which would have black paint in the captop logo. 

The red stripe barrel with the captop with the black and gold logo is from 1997-2003.

The all-metal captop is post-2010 production.

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

Thanks Kalessin!  I really appreciate the extra info.  My next step was going to be to try to figure out years, but with my limited knowledge of Pelikan pens that probably would have been tough for me.  This really helped me out!