Some useful gadgets for DIY nibs repairing introduced by Najera "冰箱"

hssqq

I learnt these from  Najera "冰箱" 's livestream.

I think this is OK to write this down because he posted something like, that he is outputing everything he knows and will level-up tp doing something more skillful and exclusive. Actually his has already released his own pen and stuff. I think that is kind of license for whoever whats to learn from him, so here it is.

• Soft jaw pliers

To pull the feed and nib off.

• A steel plate with different holes

Used to knock the feed and nib off, from backside

• Candle

To stick the prongs together as you fix the nib. Candle is harder than beewax and works better for this purpose

• High temperature resist tape

To protect the polished surface and electical plating of the nib

• Electrical magnifier, 16-200x, with HDMI video capture card.

Do everything with the magnifier. It can also display reference lines so you can tell if the tines are symmetric, etc.

• Agate spatula

Run along the prongs and press to correct misallignment.

• Steel bars

When you are sure that nib is not in good shape, sit it on a steel bar that best resembles the feed and give one or two knocks with a pencil or soft wood stick.

• Nail drill machine, a set of sand paper, a wool wheel, a suede wheel, and a stand for the dril

Use sand paper to cut large bits of material. Use suede wheel to smooth out. Use wool wheel for last polish.

Drill is always kept on the stand, and the nib is slowy fed by hand to the drill.

• Ceramic fiber stones

Ceramic fiber stones are used to create  curve surface after the cutting flat surface by sand paper, and before smoothing by suede wheel. 

• Plastic sheet 

Clipped between the prongs so that you can polish the slit on suede wheel. Also useful to get  a larger gap for repairing slighly twisted nib.

Thank you again, "冰箱", I will update this post if I learn more.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hssqq

• OCArt

• Karmachanic

• DvdRiet

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you. 

Who is Najera, and why should I pay attention to what he has to say?  Pliers?!!

Add lightness and simplicate.

18 minutes ago, Karmachanic said:

Pliers?!!

I think by 'soft jaw pliers' they mean nylon covered jewelry pliers. I have found these to indeed be pretty useful for when I need a little more than just gentle pressure using my fingers. The nylon tips protect jewelry, and nibs, from getting scratched by the metal of the pliers. I have flat ones and needle-nosed. As always, they should be used carefully, of course!

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

Currently attempting to collect the history of Diplomat pens.

36 minutes ago, Karmachanic said:

Thank you. 

Who is Najera, and why should I pay attention to what he has to say?  Pliers?!!

Well he is like the "Laureate Nibster" of China, when people pick up the pen and find it really messed up, they think okay this goes to Najera or trash dump🤣. The guy has been able to make his own pens for a decade. Recently he learnt to make his own gold nib, so that is literally a bottom-up . That is not what you expect from a ”recreational" nibster isn't it🤣.

What I write here are the eye-opening points for myself. I really hope it can help someone else. 

5 hours ago, hssqq said:
  • Candle

To stick the prongs together as you fix the nib. 

Can you please explain this?  I'm having a hard time imagining why one would insert a nib's tines into a candle but would love to learn.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Thank you for the thought. For me, a fair number of these points need more than a one-line description to be useful. 

Was this livestream on YouTube? Did he upload the finished livestream afterwards, and if so could you link to it? Even if it's in Chinese, it could be useful to watch it to see the details. 

I tried searching youtube by those characters, but all I got was a lot of hits about refrigerators (because that's what the characters apparently mean in Chinese). 

6 hours ago, OCArt said:

Can you please explain this?  I'm having a hard time imagining why one would insert a nib's tines into a candle but would love to learn.

The misunderstanding can be from my poor translation,sry mate.

The nib is removed from pen or housing for repair.

After all the pressing and knocking and testing with the feed, you feel very confident with the geomytry. Then you take some pieces of wax from your candle and melt them to stick the two prong together. The point is that we do not want the two prongs to be able to waggle around during the cutting and polishing.

It really helps when you clip something to open the slit so that you can work on the inner corners of the slit. 

Moreover, you can remove the wax with a supersonic washer, no need to heat up the nib with it.

6 hours ago, Paul-in-SF said:

Thank you for the thought. For me, a fair number of these points need more than a one-line description to be useful. 

Was this livestream on YouTube? Did he upload the finished livestream afterwards, and if so could you link to it? Even if it's in Chinese, it could be useful to watch it to see the details. 

I tried searching youtube by those characters, but all I got was a lot of hits about refrigerators (because that's what the characters apparently mean in Chinese). 

The livestream is on bilibli, and the site doesn't offer recording as youtube does.

I did not post a url because I haven't figure out whether his livestream is regular. But if you are super interested, it is https://live.bilibili.com/9854580.

And we have a third party recorder for bilibili on https://github.com/BililiveRecorder/BililiveRecorder. Regrinding job usually takes 2 hours and file is about 1.5GB. I cann't say for sure about repairing jobs.

Post scriptum, take a look a https://www.bilibili.com/read/cv2201996, you will be impressed.

Ah, thanks. Photos really help. Now I understand the wax goes on the underside of the nib away from the point.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

• 1 month later...