Help Identifying Early Swan BCHR Pen

LoveBigPensAndCannotLie

Hey all, I just got this and I am trying to figure out what pen it is, and any other details I can find.

MabieTodd3.thumb.jpg.e12e721a5cac5311bfce795c325736a5.jpg

MabieTodd2.thumb.jpg.4688b2e22d0b838c15e34cf3cc532ac0.jpg

MabieTodd1.jpg.4ede5c371eeca0bd606ceb9ecba9ec7f.jpg

Unfortunately it came to me without a cap so I want to figure out the model number so I can maybe find a matching one. As far as I can tell it's a model 45 or 46? The number engraved on the bottom is strange, it looks like a 5 that was filled in to be a 6, but when I search for a Mabie Todd 45, I only get UK-made pens that are later make than this one and very different in style. 46 does get me some results but mostly the 46 "Eternal" with the ETN engraving, which this does not have. It's a big boy of a pen for this era (guessing early to mid 1920's?), about 5 1/4 inches uncapped.

Also, any leads on where I might be able to find a replacement cap? I'm not too fussed about getting the exact right cap (well, matching one would be best), but any that would fit and be relatively similar in style would work for me. I just want to make this into a usable pen for myself, not a collector piece.

Edit: I knocked out the nib and it's a #5. So I guess this is a 45? But I am not able to find a model 45 that looks like this.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LoveBigPensAndCannotLie

• Greenie

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I cleaned the nib up and did a dip test if anyone's curious:

MabieTodd45.thumb.jpg.44f5658973351f99be76410c11c075a3.jpg

It's not perfect, the right tine is bent down a little bit and it clicks when it writes from the tines aligning/misaligning but what a fun nib. It's a fine bordering on medium with a good amount of flex. Not a wet noodle but imo impressive for a big nib like this. In my experience the bigger nibs are usually not as wet-noodle-y as the small ones. Really need a cap for this!

It is a #45.  Like a Swan 42 (which you can find references to online), but with a 5 nib.  This is an early Swan lever filling pen from the early 1920s.  They usually have a plain black cap. Sometimes there is a wide cap band.  The 5 is uncommon, so you are unlikely to find a proper cap for it.  Bring it to the Chicago Pen Show in May and see if you can find a cap that fits, even if it is not correct for the pen!  Here is a picture of a 42, 45, 46, and 48, and another comparing the nibs.

swan 42 45 46 48.jpg

swan 42 45 46 48 uncapped.jpg

26 minutes ago, Greenie said:

It is a #45.  Like a Swan 42 (which you can find references to online), but with a 5 nib.  This is an early Swan lever filling pen from the early 1920s.  They usually have a plain black cap. Sometimes there is a wide cap band.  The 5 is uncommon, so you are unlikely to find a proper cap for it.  Bring it to the Chicago Pen Show in May and see if you can find a cap that fits, even if it is not correct for the pen!  Here is a picture of a 42, 45, 46, and 48, and another comparing the nibs.

swan 42 45 46 48.jpg

swan 42 45 46 48 uncapped.jpg

Thanks for the info! Gorgeous pens. And wow, I thought the #5 nib was big, those #6 and #8 nibs are massive. The 48 looks almost comically large. It's a shame these bigger pens were not as popular when they were being produced, they are so rare now...