• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Parker51

• JulieParadise

• fireant

• A Smug Dill

Yeah! Berlin will probably get a Hub, so we Berliners would love to meet new people not associated with the usual Stammtisch (mostly organized by me over at the German PenExchange Forum) or the newly installed PenTable (organized by Tom Westerich of penboard.de)! 

:bunny01:

I have never been to the Hub. I hope this year there will be one in The Netherlands.I have completed the registration. Now I will just have to wait 

So far there isn't one listed for Pittsburgh, but hopefully (since we've had them here in prior years) enough people will be sending "Oh, please" messages to them.

Because I've gotten 3 more birds since the last time there was one (pre-COVID) -- a couple of P22s and the M205 Blue Marbled.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

We had a large crowd for Boston before the Pandemic, I think it was 18 or 20, so I'm hoping enough Boston people sign up for this year!

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

Just signed up to create a hub in Salt Lake City. Hopefully we didn’t lose too many people from the hobby during Covid. 

I signed up. I don’t know if I can actually go, but I’m sure someone would grab a swag bag for me. The caregiving makes anything over 2 hours unlikely. That would mostly be taken up by driving. 

Posted Image

Well, it's now official -- Pittsburgh IS in fact going to be a Hub location.  Not sure where it's going to be yet (the last time we had one was at the church hall for one of our former club members, who is a minister -- but he's since moved to CA IIRC because of his wife's job).  Sometimes we've had them at one of the local Panera Bread locations (the first one we were in a back corner because the private room had already been rented out -- months in advance -- by a local gamers' group).  So we'll see what our Hubmaster can find....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Helsinki is now officially a Hub location! :) Can't wait to see what the turnout will be this year, in 2019 we had around ten people. Already have one venue scoped out (the employer of one of our group members allows them to use their office outside of office hours, should be able to host 20+ people quite easily).

We have one in Las Vegas.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I'm so looking forward to this! The challenge for the hubmasters is to find a venue that is airy and not horribly crowded. The last hub I attended was in a narrow city bar packed with people. It was cheerfully claustrophobic then; now it would be scary.

We aren’t certain here who our local hub master will be as our past one is a bit busy having given birth this Summer. She may do so anyhow, but our local pen show is also coming this Autumn and she is very involved in our local Pen Club and likely will have returned to at least some in office work by then.

One complication may be venue. I have been looking for an affordable venue for an evening pen club meet up and so far all the “interesting” ones either have significant cover charges, literally in the thousands, or large minimums for bar tabs, again in the thousands for a large group. I have found a handful of “Pizza Joints” that gave party rooms with reasonable minimums which include food and which will work for our club as it would amount to $5 to $10 per person, but I have found no venues except for libraries and outside park pavilions which have no charges.

I don’t believe Pelikan offers any financial support for their Hubs and locally participants only contributed prepared food and drink to share. I don’t know if Pelikan would accept participants needing to contribute money to cover the cost of a venue. Does anyone else have any knowledge of this, or ideas about free venues?

I believe that the Hub venue requirement is that entry to the venue must be free of charge.  The last one held in Boston was at an ice cream store that had enough tables to fit everyone, and was also conveniently located on public transportation (MBTA Green Line light rail).

It's a bit difficult to find a free meeting place, it depends on all kinds of local factors.  Public libraries occasionally have a room available for card holders at no charge, or a small fee for the janitor.  College students and members of fraternal organizations can often get a meeting room at no cost. 

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

4 hours ago, Kalessin said:

I believe that the Hub venue requirement is that entry to the venue must be free of charge.  The last one held in Boston was at an ice cream store that had enough tables to fit everyone, and was also conveniently located on public transportation (MBTA Green Line light rail).

It's a bit difficult to find a free meeting place, it depends on all kinds of local factors.  Public libraries occasionally have a room available for card holders at no charge, or a small fee for the janitor.  College students and members of fraternal organizations can often get a meeting room at no cost. 

We regularly hold Pen Club meetings at libraries. There is no charge, nor difficulty reserving space there, but the rules for meeting rooms indicate we would need to be finished by the time the Library we would be at closed, or incur a significant charge and all the Columbus Libraries close at 6:00 p.m. on Fridays presently, on half hour before the Pelikan Hub is supposed to start. In 2019 the Pelikan Hub was on a Thursday. If it was on a Thursday this year we could have it at a Columbus Library as some are open till 9:00 p.m. on Thursday as well as that late other days. The problem is the day of the week is a busy one, especially for restaurants and bars.

I known we aren’t allowed to talk about (blank), but people with certain practices are regularly busy Friday nights. I find it odd that the Pelikan hub was scheduled for a Friday night. 

The Hubs have always been on a Friday evening (18:30) as far as I know.

Edited to add: see https://www.pelikan-hubs.com/archive/2019.php (Friday, 20 September 2019) and all other Hubs took place on Fridays, 18:30 in the afternoon/evening.

I apologize for my mistake on the calendar. Memory some times is wrong, yes, Pelikan Hubs occur on Friday nights.

Still, any ideas on where to hold one that is free?

If I am hub master, I will use my office conference room. Though our local libraries have wonderful rooms for free.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY