Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

Is this vintage Parker Royal Challenger set legitimate?

Jare

Hey everyone, I was recently scrolling through fleabay and came across this vintage parker royal challenger desk set. It looks legitimate, but I've never seen a set of these before and can find no literature on it. Does anyone have more info? thanks

Here is the set in question: https://www.ebay.com/itm/275397113632?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=Tn9U-QdYQFu&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=Tn9U-QdYQFu&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• joss

• inkstainedruth

• Jare

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, no clue.  I looked online at my main source for all things Parker: http://parkerpens.net but couldn't find any info about whether Challengers were ever made as desk pens.  Although you might drop the site owner, Tony Fischier, a line (he may know more -- and certainly knows a lot more about vintage Parkers than I do).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thank you! I'll reach out to him for more info. I think I'll go ahead and bid on it, as I confirmed with the seller that it has the proper Royal Challenger imprint.

I am not sure that these pens with a Royal Challenger barrel left the Parker factory as a desk pen. On the other hand, Parker heavily promoted the fact that their pocket pens could be simply converted into desk pens by exchanging the blind cap for a proper fitting taper/quill. This can be done with all early Duofolds, Challengers and Vacumatics. So the conversion into a desk pen could also have been done in a retailer store that had the original Parker tapers/quills at hand.

I think that the seller gave an honest description of the items. The two pens from the auction seem to have two different tapers which is a bit suspicious.  The sockets on the desk base are definitely not correct for a Challenger desk pen: these sockets were introduced in 1930 for the Streamlined Duofold desk pen and were in the Parker catalog until circa 1934-35.