So You Are Starting a New Notebook, Help!

Misfit

@essayfaire the only other game I would keep track of is one on my iPhone. I played a very similar game years ago, and used a task journal I got on Cafe Express for that. I found that notebook recently, but now I can’t find it. Ugh. 

Posted Image

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• taimdala

• inkstainedruth

• essayfaire

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now I’m wanting a Leuchtturm 1917 notebook with 120gsm paper in Nordic Blue.  It looks like it has white paper. I have an A6 size in Nordic Blue, which I chose not for the blue, but because I have Danish ancestry. I do like the color. I’ve worried Leuchtturm could discontinue the color, and wanted one in A5. They bring out new blue colors. 

They have a metallic/neon notebook that looks neat. I have to rein myself in though. I tend to acquire notebooks more than I tend to use them.  

Posted Image

16 hours ago, Misfit said:

I found that notebook recently, but now I can’t find it. Ugh.

It will turn up.  Eventually. If you didn't leave home with it, it's there somewhere.  You'll be so pleased when it re-emerges! I always am when I have stopped looking for something and 3-6-9-12 months later I happen upon it. 

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

4 hours ago, essayfaire said:

It will turn up.  Eventually. If you didn't leave home with it, it's there somewhere.  You'll be so pleased when it re-emerges! I always am when I have stopped looking for something and 3-6-9-12 months later I happen upon it. 

True.  And I didn’t take it out of the house. I had a list of things to find. As I find some, I end up adding others to the list. 

Posted Image

1 hour ago, Misfit said:

True.  And I didn’t take it out of the house. I had a list of things to find. As I find some, I end up adding others to the list. 

We actually keep a master list of missing things on the refrigerator.  I once was able to take it down when all the missing things had been found, but that was but a short, brief moment....

Festina lente

• 1 month later...

Now, there, you just made me feel stupid for not having though earlier of the possibility of actually attaching an envelope to the back of the notebook myself.

Such a simple idea!

Actually, it is when I realize the simplicity of such solutions that I reaffirm my limitations and the need for additional mind exercise. Anyway, thanks for pointing it out, it's genius!

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

That is a great idea. I bought the holders that library checkout cards would fit in back in the day. I taped one in a smaller notebook that I used to make grocery lists. It held coupons. That was used pre-COVID. 

The envelope would be a better choice for a larger notebook I expect. 

Posted Image

3 hours ago, Misfit said:

I bought the holders that library checkout cards would fit in back in the day

Clever!  At one point I had a to-so list pad that looked like the checkout cards.  It was wonderful, but when it was used up I was never able to locate another one like it.  

Festina lente

5 hours ago, essayfaire said:

Clever!  At one point I had a to-so list pad that looked like the checkout cards.  It was wonderful, but when it was used up I was never able to locate another one like it.  

We’re they anything like these?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/80419576/library-card-notebooks-set-of-5?click_key=1d937e46350102c573958aeb21fe370956d1bd5f%3A80419576&click_sum=b96819be&ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=library+checkout+card+notebook&ref=sr_gallery-1-6&organic_search_click=1

Posted Image

On 8/31/2022 at 5:26 AM, essayfaire said:

If you didn't leave home with it, it's there somewhere.  You'll be so pleased when it re-emerges!

My wife and I are both of the type that will go crazy when we cannot find something that should be there, turn the house upside down to look for it, and once we've found it, ”Phew! There it is! How did it get there?” … and then promptly not do anything with it or even ‘forget’ about it, until next time we have a need or whimsical use for it. (Once we find it in the first instance, the opportunity to use it as the most suitable candidate for a particular purpose will likely have passed.)

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/30/2022 at 7:00 PM, essayfaire said:

We actually keep a master list of missing things on the refrigerator.  I once was able to take it down when all the missing things had been found, but that was but a short, brief moment....

I had a list of "things to find" once, but I lost the list... :)

On the original subject (what to do with the first page of a new notebook) - I solved that problem by using ring-bound notebooks.  That way, I can have a new "first page" whenever I want.  Also, whatever kind of paper I want.  The only exception is my pocket notebook.  That one is either a Field Notes or mini composition book style.  I don't really care about the first page as this notebook is just a collector of thoughts that eventually get transcribed into the other notebooks.

I've grown a collection of mostly leather ring binders of various sizes over the years.  These become my notebooks, used over and over again.

1 hour ago, OregonJim said:

I had a list of "things to find" once, but I lost the list... :)

One of my children managed to misplace a book called Smart but Scattered.  Useful book, but not when it's missing.

Festina lente

10 hours ago, txomsy said:

Ouch! That must have hurt!

Ended up buying a second copy.  Of course, at some point after that the original showed up. ;)

Festina lente

5 hours ago, essayfaire said:

Ended up buying a second copy.  Of course, at some point after that the original showed up. ;)

I looked for the notebook on the website I purchased it from. It was not there. Additionally, it seemed like every notebook is unavailable. Curious. The website is Cafe Press, which has Fountain Pen Network notebooks. It did when I bought one.  

Posted Image

1 hour ago, Misfit said:

I looked for the notebook on the website I purchased it from. It was not there. Additionally, it seemed like every notebook is unavailable. Curious. The website is Cafe Press, which has Fountain Pen Network notebooks. It did when I bought one.  

I believe Cafe Press produces many semi-custom things, where they are available as long as one of the sub-vendors is offering them. If the vendor who designed your particular missing notebook isn't producing it any longer, it could disappear from the site altogether. Sorry. 

Festina lente

@essayfaire too true. Plus any notebook I looked at was not available. When none of the Peanuts ones were, I checked others.  None in stock. I guess that vendor is needing paper. 

I just don’t get why I can’t find it. It’s almost like I hid it from myself. But I wouldn’t do that. Ugh and Aaugh, so frustrating. Here’s hoping it shows up soon. Meanwhile I looked in a box with the pen trays I’ll use someday.  I found a stargazing book, and some Book Darts. Didn’t know those were misplaced, or why they were in that box. 

Posted Image