So You Are Starting a New Notebook, Help!

Misfit

On 8/6/2022 at 8:13 PM, InkyColors said:

Hope you feel better soon. 

Thanks.  I was a bit nervous about going camping, given the allergies had been kicking into overdrive this spring and summer, and with the weather being all over the map last week and a good chunk of this week.  But did okay, being back on the Zyrtec.  And just realized that I haven't actually had a sinus headache for most of this week (other aches and pains, yeah -- and my stupid phone company has wanted to make me take a flamethrower to their corporate headquarters BEFORE I sue them into oblivion -- but at least I didn't want to crawl into a ball in my tent with a pillow over my head since about Monday morning).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• taimdala

• inkstainedruth

• essayfaire

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

delete -- duplicate post

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Sorry -- duplicate post #2

Apologies -- duplicate post #3

On 8/6/2022 at 8:13 PM, InkyColors said:

Hope you feel better soon. 

Thanks.  I was a bit nervous about going camping, given the allergies had been kicking into overdrive this spring and summer, and with the weather being all over the map last week and a good chunk of this week.  But did okay, being back on the Zyrtec.  And just realized that I haven't actually had a sinus headache for most of this week (other aches and pains, yeah -- and my stupid phone company has wanted to make me take a flamethrower to their corporate headquarters BEFORE I sue them into oblivion -- but at least I didn't want to crawl into a ball in my tent with a pillow over my head since about Monday morning).

And again, apologies -- duplicate post #5.... :wallbash:

It’s fine @inkstainedruth to have multiple duplicate posts. Just don’t bang your head on the wall for real. Maybe starting a new notebook all about your phone company will help in the spirit of this thread.  

This website has an appropriate notebook for the task. 

https://philosophersguild.com/collections/pocket-notebooks/products/hell-passport-notebook

Oops, it’s currently out of stock. They have other notebook themes that might fit your phone company battle.  

Posted Image

:lol:

I don't have that one but I have several of their others.  Sadly, I seem to have lost/misplaced the Area 51 passport notebook, which is the one that I used to use for website passwords that I didn't use often enough to automatically remember (like the one to log into FPN... :D).

On 8/12/2022 at 7:33 AM, oliviaf said:

If it's a new journal I always write/do two things. I write "Dear Diary, you ain't never gonna believe what I'm about to write down in yous." it always starts my first entry.

I also like to put in a goal template to the first page of a new journal
I've been doing both for a few years now

OMG that's awesome.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

@inkstainedruthNo apologies necessary, I've done it on occasion, too.  Blame the software designer!

One advantage of the hand-written journals is that they seem to be immune from duplicate posts. ;)

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

4 hours ago, essayfaire said:

One advantage of the hand-written journals is that they seem to be immune from duplicate posts. ;)

:thumbup:

On 7/31/2022 at 6:14 PM, DrDebG said:

Many may be asking - is this paper really as good as TR paper?  I am still doing a lot of testing of the paper, but at present I would have to say yes.  Shading and sheen is very nice.  There is a slight bit of tooth to the paper, so it isn't glassy smooth like TR, but it isn't like slogging through a mud puddle  like Cosmo Air Light either.   Lines stay crisp and dry times are more than acceptable.  

A couple of weeks ago, I posted that I have started using William Hanna notebooks.  William Hanna is a small company based in the UK, and their paper is also made in the UK.  

I recently purchased a second notebook - one is for my work and the other is my planner.  

The big question for me was the paper.  Would it be as good as the TR that I am using?  Well, the answer is yes and no.  The William Hanna paper is, in my opinion, better than most of the notebooks I have tried since the TR foreclosure - and that includes the "New TR" paper (I haven't compared it against Sanzen TR yet).  But in terms of Apica, Cosmo Air Light, Mitsubishi Bank paper, etc., the William Hanna paper is excellent.  

Edit:  Where this paper does not compare with TR paper is with regards to the weight.  This paper is 115 gsm whereas original TR paper that I was using was 52 gsm.  Because of that I only carry less than 100 sheets per notebook.  But surprisingly even with 100 pages of much heavier paper, the entire WH notebook weighs less than my Hobinechi Cousin.  In terms of showing off the ink, I believe the WH paper is almost as good as TR.  It does have a tiny bit more tooth which took a little getting used to.  But I have to say, for my purposes the WH paper is working out very well.  

The paper really shows off the shading and sheen of an ink.  The first two are photos - front and back side.  There is very little show through with normal writing even with a Sailor Zoom nib or wide stub nib.  The next two close-ups show the shading of the inks used.  The last is a scan of the same page - and even in the scan the sheen and shading come through.  

1125401308_IMG_0273CROP1200.thumb.jpg.6e6c2e8da7d8256abbad734d796fafca.jpg1049483295_IMG_0277BS.thumb.jpg.6c46ea8c9849d55cd23026bc8ea01ae1.jpg797930138_IMG_0274GVFCCobaltBluecloseup.jpg.6f98d4e3581043f6dc79757ab09ce961.jpg932659127_Bluecloseup.thumb.jpg.16fed2e1188352154a3642695005f46e.jpg

1683097481_Scan21200.thumb.jpg.eef5f071d126d7f12f0fab8a432543f7.jpg

I am planning to do a full review on the notebook and paper, but I thought I would share some of my experiments with the paper.  

I purchased these notebooks and paper myself and I am not in anyway affiliated with William Hanna notebooks - other than being a very satisfied customer.  (And their customer service is outstanding!) 

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

2 hours ago, DrDebG said:

I am planning to do a full review on the notebook and paper, but I thought I would share some of my experiments with the paper.  

I purchased these notebooks and paper myself and I am not in anyway affiliated with William Hanna notebooks - other than being a very satisfied customer.  (And their customer service is outstanding!) 

This is very helpful information, especially as my favorite journal used to have TR paper and is changing.  Thank you.

Festina lente

@DrDebG good to know the William Hanna paper shows off shading. That’s my favorite property of ink, that and outlining (also called halo-ing).

Posted Image

6 hours ago, Misfit said:

@DrDebG good to know the William Hanna paper shows off shading. That’s my favorite property of ink, that and outlining (also called halo-ing).

Mine too!  I am impressed with the paper so far.  I will let you know how things develop. 

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

8 hours ago, Misfit said:

@DrDebG does William Hanna have loose sheets of paper?

Yes.  They have a variety of different sheets, but they are all "punched" to fit the notebooks.  

https://williamhannah.com/collections/refills-diaries-packs

• 2 weeks later...

I started a new small notebook to keep track of my handheld Yahtzee game. I started with a header and the scores on page one. That type of note keeping doesn’t need any introduction page. 

Posted Image

20 hours ago, Misfit said:

20 hours ago, Misfit said:

I started a new small notebook to keep track of my handheld Yahtzee game. I started with a header and the scores on page one. That type of note keeping doesn’t need any introduction page. 

Well, unless you decide you also need to keep scores of other games you play alone, in which case your "Yahtzee" notebook becomes a "Games" notebook... ;)

Festina lente