So You Are Starting a New Notebook, Help!

Misfit

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• taimdala

• inkstainedruth

• essayfaire

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I’m thinking the 4 1/2x6” would be a bit small. It’s the graph paper version with twice the pages of the 6x8” lined version. The graph version comes in red, and the lined version comes in 3 colors. I can’t decide on a color. Unfortunately it comes from a marketplace shop, so you have to pay shipping.  

Posted Image

On 7/31/2022 at 7:37 PM, Misfit said:

@taimdala I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post. I absolutely love your doodles. I almost fell into the trap you wisely warned against when I thought I can’t draw like that. 

Your love of the MQ notebooks shines throughout your post. And finding a purpose for a cover you’ve had for a decade is magical.  The photos were great too. 

One question: do you use fountain pens in your bujo too?

edited to add I think I have the same Pilot Coleto multi pen as you do. 

Thank you, Misfit. 😃 I'm glad you enjoyed it.

And I'm glad you didn't fall into the self-defeating trap of toxic comparison. A little comparison is good, but it too quickly turns into something unhealthy. ESPECIALLY in these social-networked times.

To your question about using fountain pens in my MQ journals:

Yes! Yes I do.

I prefer fine or extra fine nibs so bleedthrough is rarely a worry with the 70gsm paper in these MQ notebooks. However, the paper seems to hold up quite well to fountain pen ink slatherings that I experimented with. As in the photos below:

One of my border slatherings (writing blurred for privacy):

20220801_193943--Blurred.thumb.jpg.caaacc33604f15aa8a0a969f58058f76.jpg

Some close ups to show how it resists buckling:

20220801_194123.thumb.jpg.0a56577562fa8612a54be18076fbdc44.jpg

20220801_194130.thumb.jpg.75931de8f8d6561a609c026d2a9c1ea8.jpg

20220801_194137--blurred.thumb.jpg.3885bd0caadc28df827512ad2510ed8c.jpg

And here's what it looks like on the flip side. I think my desk lamp did a good job raking obliquely across the page, allowing wrinkling to show, if any. To my eye, it looks pretty smooth.

20220801_193955.thumb.jpg.53ac4f142ddc26f599f6116a1f4e61c1.jpg

Some other inky slathers:

This slather is a combination of Diamine Sapphire Blue and Iroshizuku Shin-Ryoku.

20220801_194401.thumb.jpg.06e52ab24bd36a857bf6566dd4c2be48.jpg

I used a water brush to apply it so it's a touch diluted. I was trying to blend the ink like a watercolor. It's no Nick Stewart, but I rather like the effect I achieved. The gold is just a Uni-Ball UM-153 broad gel pen. All the actual writing is done with fountain pens. The turquoise ink at the top past my little horse is a Pilot Varsity and that sucker writes like a firehose compared to my parsimonious Platinum EF and F nibs. LOL. The pink to the right is a pink/red Platinum Preppy (02). Given how close I had to hold my phone to the page, it looks broader in the picture than in person. In person, it's spiderweb thin. Just the way I like it.

This is what the backside of the slather looks like:

20220801_194541.thumb.jpg.c92eb4e74cca8fb2709167ad98fc9bf2.jpg

I made the slather *first*, when doing the layout for the week. I covered the backside of that slather with my weekly review doodles as the week progressed. It did not have any effect on doodling.  I use a Uni-Ball UM-151ND (0.3m) for my doodles in case I want to color them in later, because Jet Pens assures me that after curing for about 24 hours, the ink is water resistant enough to drag wetter media over it. Ehhhhh ... kinda-sorta. Highlighters lift the gel ink right up but water-based markers and light watercolor washes seem to do okay. And fountain pen ink doesn't seem to ruin anything either. 😉

Another slather with the UM-153 gold gel pen with Iroshizuku Murasaki-Shikibu and Shin-Ryoku.

20220801_194336--blurred.thumb.jpg.a9efbb17754367b6b61514bb35570914.jpg

I used a sopping wet cotton swab for this one, just dripping like a mop. I managed to achieve some sheen on the heaviest applications. I painted it in layers, with a slightly less wet swabbing for the background (the lighter/broader areas) and once it dried, I went back with the dripping wet swab and dabbed the excess ink on top. THEN made myself LEAVE IT ALONE until it was completely dry. (That was the hardest part in all of this. I suppose if I dug out my embossing powder heat gun I might have made things go rather quickly but I didn't want to warp the paper--which that heat gun is entirely capable of doing in a blink.)

And this is what the backside of the slather looks like:

20220801_194526.thumb.jpg.747e28add210e9fe437e398e5905fd32.jpg

It's the frontside of the previous slather (see above).  Here you can see how it started to bleed through where the printed graph lines lay. I'm not sure if the ink from printing the graph already compromised the paper's ink-loading capacity or not but I kinda like it. It didn't make my writing bleed or anything, so I'm not going to fuss over it showing through like a bruise.

(It just goes to show: this model of notebook can take a lickin' and keep on tickin'.)

As for the Pilot Coleto ---- YESSSSS!!!

**knuckle bop!**

I love them for notetaking and commenting. I have mine loaded with the 0.3 tips, in black, red, green, blue, and purple. When I was writing in carpool waiting to pick up my kids, I'd run through a black and a red refill in about two weeks.

I'd use carpool time to unplug from the internet and journal in my planner or write fic in whatever notebook I'd assigned to it. I sketch and add margin notes, mark up with editing, add notes for looking up later, etc. etc. etc. So I wore out two Coleto barrels inside a single school year. I really wish they made them with a metal body, as the metal body would be more durable. (Im lookin' at you, Zebra F-301!) I know there are other makes/models of multipens with metal bodies but the metal bodies rarely come with the cushioned grip--something I need for my long writing sessions.

What can I say? It's an imperfect world. Just kintsuji it as you can and enjoy!

45 minutes ago, Misfit said:

I’m thinking the 4 1/2x6” would be a bit small. It’s the graph paper version with twice the pages of the 6x8” lined version. The graph version comes in red, and the lined version comes in 3 colors. I can’t decide on a color. Unfortunately it comes from a marketplace shop, so you have to pay shipping.  

I have the 4.5" x 6" graph notebook in red. I love how compact it is and yet how sturdy for writing when lying down. I keep it next to my bed with a bunch of pens to write things down as they come to me.

It just one of several notebooks in the stack of notebooks, next to a clear acrylic cosmetics organizer filled with pens and other writing instruments, in case inspiration strikes before I fall asleep. I've learned over the years to *never* trust my memory to save that idea for the following morning. I've lost far too many good ideas for stories, rpg campaigns, recipes, etc.

I *must* sit up and turn on a light and write it down when it comes to me. I've saved quite a few ideas that way and it's worth having a teetering stack of stationery supplies next to my head when I go to sleep.

On 7/31/2022 at 9:14 PM, DrDebG said:

Wow!  I am so impressed by all of your great ideas and habits!  You are all amazing!  

Thank you, DrDebG! I think amberleadavis is amazing too!

I have been in a bit of a quandary over the last couple of years.  I have used TR journals (Nanami Seven Seas journals with 52 gsm Tomoe River paper) for will over 8 years.  I had a bit of foresight a few years ago to stock up.  

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes!---if you find something you like, buy it as much as possible before it gets discontinued. Even if you find later on that perhaps you've tired of it, it's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Any extras can be gifted to others and who knows? I just might introduce the joy of stationery to someone who might never discover it otherwise.

I know I shouldn't justify hoarding .... but .... I just can't *not*.

It's kinda like my motto (if I were to have a motto):

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. But stock plenty of spares, just in case.

What about my personal journal, you ask?  Well, I have decided to use up the last of my TR notebooks for that purpose.  Then I will likely purchase another William Hannah notebook for my personal use.  

I haven't tried William Hannah. It sounds wonderful for the ease of swapping pages in and out. I love fiddling with modular pieces and parts ....

.... ohhhh, I think I can feel a rabbit hole comin' on .....!

9 minutes ago, taimdala said:

It's kinda like my motto (if I were to have a motto):

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. But stock plenty of spares, just in case.

That sounds like you grew up in an island like Aruba or Curaçao, where many of us do live by that motto...

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

1 hour ago, Misfit said:

In my search for a replacement of my MQ notebooks, I stumbled across Zequenz notebooks. They have the same flexible faux leather covers and radiused corners. I bought a couple for comparison's sake and they compared quite well. I bought blank paper and found it to be about 100gsm. Ruled and graph is available and I believe both those are 70gsm.  The paper is white (thank goodness!) and there's a good variety to choose from.

You can find it on Amazon but Zequenz has its own website (zequenz.com) and I would rather buy any future Zequenz from there.

Of course, I would have to tear myself away from my MQs, right? LOL! And that might not be happening anytime soon.

5 minutes ago, mhguda said:

That sounds like you grew up in an island like Aruba or Curaçao, where many of us do live by that motto...

I do? Really? Cool!

I'm a military kid and got to move around a lot, but even though I've been to Asia, I haven't been to the Caribbean, despite it being waaaay closer to my dad's various postings.

23 hours ago, amberleadavis said:

When I saw @taimdala's post, I stopped to show it to my kids. I love my MR notebooks, but hers are much better.

I thought @taimdala should do those covers as a business because WOW!

Also, I think it really helps when we show pictures.

Oh WOW! Thank you, amberleadavis. That is very high praise indeed. Thank you!

As for doing covers as a business .... hmmmm ... I think you're on to something there!

Do you know of a more durable medium than the Pilot or Sakura gold markers (the oil based ones that you have to shake up before using?)  My 2022 corner decoration on the cover has already partially worn off. The Krylon paint pen in gold seems a little more durable but I can't find it in a fine enough tip. I use the one I have strictly for broad strokes.

AND ...

YES. MOAR pictures, please!

1 hour ago, Misfit said:

If finances permit, do what I do:

GET IT IN EVERY COLOR.

(Hey, it works for shoes. Why not stationery, too? 😉 )

Now I’m conflicted on the Milquerius. It could be we should buy them now while they are available.  There website, if I remember from last night, doesn’t show these soft bound notebooks, like members got at B&N. 

Posted Image

Well I did it. I got the small version in red, and the lined in blue. I used my credit card rewards to save over $8 off. 

Posted Image

Congratulations!

15 minutes ago, mhguda said:

Congratulations!

Maybe. My issue is oh look at that pretty notebook. Must have it. Then it sits, and waits, and waits, and waits. And waits  some more. Did I mention waiting?

At one point they got the job to weigh down a plastic three drawer shelf cart. They still live in that drawer, waiting. And then this year, I got even more notebooks to wait in that drawer with the others. 

I do use a Leuchtturm and a Clairefontaine A5 size to write down the name and nib of a pen, and the ink in it. I added Tomoe paper in old and new in a Travelers Notebook to post on Stub of the Day thread.  Plus I can see most all an ink has to show off. And I have two Field Notes in a holder I got on Etsy that I carry in my purse. It has one in graph paper for information, and lined paper for lists. I got book journal notebooks to fit two Midori products. I have yet to log a book, though I am reading. 

Edited to add the Clairefontaine is almost full. I’ve almost finished a notebook. Except for Field Notes, I haven’t done that since college. And that’s been awhile. 

Posted Image

Yes, but there is also the pleasure of that pristine blank page. And if you start by numbering the pages, or preparing the border, or maybe even more artistic, like @taimdaladoes, you can have the pleasure of having your cake and eating it too. Then there are the pretty pictures, for example to cut out of last year's calendars, to incorporate in your notebook, maybe... as a bookmark, or a separator page, or as a folder to hold stuff you (may) need during the time you will actually use that notebook...

Plus, in a pinch, they could make great gifts, if you wanted to exercise that particular muscle...

1 hour ago, taimdala said:

The paper is white (thank goodness!)

This is why, even though I love all the colors, I haven’t bought any Rhodia notebooks (vs notepads). I want white paper. I’ve bought a few too many Leuchtturm notebooks, so I do need white paper to see the inks.

Posted Image