A household hack for _removing_ ink.: better than Amodex!

KateGladstone

I hope that I’m posting this in the right forum. What follows is in cash related, and is a “recipe” of sorts — but it’s for removing ink., not for making ink. Moderator, if this doesn’t belong here, please move it wherever it does belong.

To gently and immediately remove even the stubbornnest fountain-pen/dip-pen  inks, and most (or maybe all) marker inks, from your skin (and anything else, as far as I have been able to test), just rub in a TINY dab of Freezer Frost Remover liquid: 
          not on Amazon, just now, but sold here —  https://pmi.green/products/pa-8662-klean-logik-freezer-frost-remover-16-fl-oz
         — and naturally intended for  the purpose described by its name, so it’s good to have this around the house in any case. You won’t need much at all — start with a few drops, and work up from there as needed: rub it in, wipe it off, and enjoy that it’s nearly odorless and it actually feels soft and smooth: somewhere between hand lotion and baby oil.

What I used to rely on, 
      before a very minor household accident  
      clued me into using Freezer Frost Remover instead, 
was Nair or any similar depilatory —  BUT left on/rubbed in for only 30-60 seconds rather than left on as directed for several minutes — Which dudnt quite fill the bill, as it’s lye-based: smells harsh, feels harsh on the skin, and can damage fabric and a lot of other things that you might need to remove ink from.

Try Freezer Frost Removal for ink removal, too! You’ll love it!

UPDATE: 

Another source of the product is https://www.smallapplianceparts.net/freezer-frost-remover-16oz/#:~:text=Unique formula contains MeltX to dissolve away frost%2C,have to add to your kitchen cleaner products!
        What does the magic (on a freezer or on inky hands) Is apparently an ingredient that the firm has trademarked as “MeltX” (I have been unable to find out what “MeltX” actually is, but maybe you know someone who could. Do you have any friends with a chem lab?)
      😉

Edited by KateGladstone
Adding more info

<span style='font-size: 18px;'><em class='bbc'><strong class='bbc'><span style='font-family: Palatino Linotype'> <br><b><i><a href="http://pen.guide" target="_blank">Check out THE PEN THAT TEACHES HANDWRITING </a></span></strong></em></span></a><br><br><br><a href="

target="_blank">Video of the SuperStyluScripTipTastic Pen in action

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KateGladstone

• Ron Z

• inkstainedruth

• txomsy

Note - this is for getting your hands clean, not removing the stain from clothing.

Repair guys use Lava soap.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Thanks for that info! For the record, it works for me on clothing too, but I admit I haven’t tested it on any fine fabrics.

<span style='font-size: 18px;'><em class='bbc'><strong class='bbc'><span style='font-family: Palatino Linotype'> <br><b><i><a href="http://pen.guide" target="_blank">Check out THE PEN THAT TEACHES HANDWRITING </a></span></strong></em></span></a><br><br><br><a href="

• 3 weeks later...

The MSDS for EZR Freezer Frost Remover from Concept Laboratories,   https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CktgEL9yNEP5YTJQ1ACPCit5B8XwKmOx/view , lists only Propylene Glycol as an ingredient, though there may be other things in it such as water. 

Propylene glycol is commonly used for de-icing and anti-icing aircraft, says Wikipedia, and is GRAS for cosmetics.

It's toothpaste for me.  Otherwise, it usually comes out in the shower.  Must be something about shampoo.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Both links now say not available (the 2nd link just points to Amazon). But thanks for the pointer, I really need some frost remover for the downstairs small refrigerator. 

• 4 weeks later...

Even better, especially given that the first product I found is usually out of stock …

i have now found something cheaper, and constantly available, that works even more efficiently! (and that has Numerous other uses besides)

It’s orange oil — available very cheaply, often in quart bottles.Just check Amazon! … or even your local supermarket! And it smells great, too!

Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Orange+oil&crid=1ZB1EZDUTKQUK&sprefix=orange+oil%2Caps%2C114&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Also, it’s unlikely to go off the market, because it’s literally made of garbage: or, at least, of something that people throw away — namely, orange peels.

I tested it on some really tough dried-in ink stains this morning — various colors, and mixtures of colors, of the Noodler’s Polar Inks … And it worked amazingly well on skin, amazingly fast, and almost as well and fast on various fabrics!

!

On 8/6/2022 at 10:03 AM, Sailor Kenshin said:

It's toothpaste for me.  Otherwise, it usually comes out in the shower.  Must be something about shampoo.

I suspect it's a combination of the shampoo and the physical act of lathering hair up (effectively your hair becomes a brush for your hands and nails).   But I can't be washing my hair every day the way my husband does -- I'd look like a dandelion puff ball.... :o

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 10 months later...
On 8/31/2022 at 2:18 PM, inkstainedruth said:

I suspect it's a combination of the shampoo and the physical act of lathering hair up (effectively your hair becomes a brush for your hands and nails).   But I can't be washing my hair every day the way my husband does -- I'd look like a dandelion puff ball.... :o

Yes, I was surprised that after using all sorts of harsh chemicals to remove the ink from my hands, my Head and Shoulders Classic Clean 2-in-1 Shampoo finally got the stains out.  I, too, suspect it was the physical act of lathering up my hair. 

Tommy

I'd look like a dandelion puff ball.

I'm sorry I missed this a year ago.  Actually, I'd like to see this.  Can  you do it before the next pen club?  :D

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

I have to try that hint about orange oil. Seems most appealing. And nice smelling, so it is a win-win.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

On 7/28/2023 at 2:09 PM, Ron Z said:

I'm sorry I missed this a year ago.  Actually, I'd like to see this.  Can  you do it before the next pen club?  :D

Hahaha. 

No.  Not happening.  Nice try, Ron....

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."