Montblanc x Fritz Schimpf 149 Italic Edge

Tom Kellie

For me, personally, I'm trying to decide whether it is worth it compared to, say, getting a Nakaya with a Music nib. The large nib certainly is a point in favor of the 149. It looks like it might be just a little broader. So tempting! 

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• NoType

• Frank C

• amberleadavis

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I adore seeing the pen with the different inks. Thank you for sharing!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

large.22C69D81-2849-473E-B55C-F0A10C3F25BD.jpeg.4119baf00dab0272dd252ee59b0c7048.jpeg

A quick writing sample for these who are curious and consider this pen. I bought this pen with the intention of learning to write gothic scripts. It's also fantastic for normal writing.

1. Line variation. It's significant as shown in the photo. True to Fritz Schimpf's description of a 4B, it's definitely much thicker on the downstrokes than my OBB.

2. Softness. It's slightly softer than a regular modern 149. It's very pleasant and a joy to write with. 

3. Smooth. It's very smooth for normal writing. This is impressive to have this cut and maintain its smoothness, great work, MB and FS!

4. Edge. True that you can tilt the nib onto its edge and get pretty thin lines, as shown in my photo after the first word "Edge", after the wavy lines (Line 6).

I really like the Platinum version, as it's my first one and it looks great. The nib looks clean and beautiful.

Thank you to Fritz Schimpf and Montblanc for the initiative, concept, execution, and many thanks to Sebastian Stolz for such great service. 🙏👍

On 7/22/2022 at 1:05 PM, como said:

large.22C69D81-2849-473E-B55C-F0A10C3F25BD.jpeg.4119baf00dab0272dd252ee59b0c7048.jpeg

A quick writing sample for these who are curious and consider this pen. I bought this pen with the intention of learning to write gothic scripts. It's also fantastic for normal writing.

1. Line variation. It's significant as shown in the photo. True to Fritz Schimpf's description of a 4B, it's definitely much thicker on the downstrokes than my OBB.

2. Softness. It's slightly softer than a regular modern 149. It's very pleasant and a joy to write with. 

3. Smooth. It's very smooth for normal writing. This is impressive to have this cut and maintain its smoothness, great work, MB and FS!

4. Edge. True that you can tilt the nib onto its edge and get pretty thin lines, as shown in my photo after the first word "Edge", after the wavy lines (Line 6).

I really like the Platinum version, as it's my first one and it looks great. The nib looks clean and beautiful.

Thank you to Fritz Schimpf and Montblanc for the initiative, concept, execution, and many thanks to Sebastian Stolz for such great service. 🙏👍

Thank you @como, for a great demonstration of this pen's capabilities!

On 7/23/2022 at 1:17 PM, Fritz Schimpf said:

IMG_1830-3.jpg

@Fritz Schimpf Thank you for your beautiful handwritten note, and thank you for making such a versatile pen suitable for calligraphy AND normal writing!

6 hours ago, a student said:

Thank you @como, for a great demonstration of this pen's capabilities!

@a student You are welcome!

On 7/23/2022 at 7:17 AM, Fritz Schimpf said:

IMG_1830-3.jpg

Herr Schimpf,

The Zwischenlicht ink is beautifully demonstrated in your note, with remarkable and appealing shading.  The color reminds me of a now extinct but beloved  ink made by Blackstone, called Sydney Harbor Blue, and Zwischenlicht is, in my opinion, more appealing.  I’ ll have to try it in the pen having seen this. Many thanks for all your efforts for and service to our community, and the joy it brings!

After seeing Herr Schimpf's demonstration of Zwischenlicht with the new pen, I tried it myself on Rhodia paper.  While I didn't catch the color anywhere near as well as on his note (above), the pen performed beautifully at normal cursive writing speed with this ink.  I marvel at the line variation possible with this large nib (clearly it can write wider than in this test, which was done to see variation with usual writing for me).  For comparison, I used a Pelikan 400 OBB (semi-flex) that I had inked at the moment with Birmingham Pens' Sea Holly Ink, another broad pen with considerable line variation, and an ink of a similar color. (No flexing attempted with either pen in this test, just writing at my usual angle).

large.1103882921_SchimpfZwischenlichtFSMB149IE1.jpg.1d1d849c9557ba92a7fab2b296310119.jpglarge.219721125_SchimpfZwischenlichtInkFSMB149EI-2.jpg.82f2e175cae0cd9e998e63fdb4c85448.jpglarge.1104877334_SchimpfZwischenlichtFSMB149EI-3.jpg.6567a84b22c97348731fe088b31d71ac.jpglarge.105524373_SchimpfZwischenlichtFSMB149EI4.jpg.f31fedaacb8b1490cd4c82ceee3a56a1.jpg

@Tom KellieHaving read your many and various posts and threads ever since joining this venerable forum approximately a year ago; being entertained, enlightened, and elevated by them incalculably; and now following with increasing delight and interest this new thread you’ve created; well, I could not resist sending you this missive in hopes of expressing my deepest gratitude to you for joyfully, seemingly tirelessly, and dedicatedly turning out writing samples and incisive commentary featuring the Italic Edge in an amazing variety of inks, most of which are novel to this fountain pen neophyte.  One cannot overstate the value of your information in this thread, which is no less than a great public service, and your generosity in giving your time, effort, and ink while educating all of us in this forum is very much appreciated, to say nothing of being inspirational.  Much thanks!