Inks you've bought (or NOT), based almost solely on its name? And WHY!

Just J

Tar Heel is tempting me because of the name and cute bottle. The ink isn’t a color I would use but the bottle would look great on my desk - maybe beside my Otto Hutt Arctic Blue (Carolina Blue) pen.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Just J

• inkstainedruth

• amberleadavis

• InkyColors

I suppose there’s Van Dieman’s Ink Eggplant and Zucchini. I was looking to give that new-to-me brand a go, and I thought the names would amuse my wife, so they made it into the first order of three inks (the minimum required to qualify for free shipping within Australia) ahead of other purples and greens. The much older VDI Styx Valley Forest Green, which I subsequently bought, is pretty much the same thing as VDI Zucchini from my observations; so Zucchini definitely won that first contest on account of its name.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I've definitely selected samples of inks based on the name alone. Squeteague and Dragon's Napalm are two of them. I rather liked Squeteague, as I recall (although evidently not enough to get a bottle), but Dragon's Napalm was too light and pink for my taste.

I bought a bottle of Noodler's Harold's Hearse from the Noodler's table at the Commonwealth Pen Show a few years ago because it made me think of the old movie Harold and Maude.  And Nathan Tardiff said that was exactly why the ink was named that -- it was supposed to be the color of Harold's car in the movie.  

But no, I didn't like the ink at all -- it's a nasty yellow green that sort of sets my teeth on edge....

There are probably a bunch of other inks that I've bought over the years (at least as a sample) because of the name as well, but that's the most egregious example.  One that I got as a sample (but was never able to get a full bottle of) is Birmingham Pens Smithfield Street Truss Blue -- back when they still had the B&M store in Pittsburgh's Shadyside neighborhood.  That one I really DID like a lot but apparently so did everyone else.... :wallbash:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

22 hours ago, I-am-not-really-here said:

NOT BOUGHT

One that comes to mind is Noodlers Harolds Hearse. Maybe if the label didn't have a hearse but the name is just too morbid.

Well, I did buy a bottle of that based on the name because it reminded me of the old movie Harold and Maude.  And it turns out that is EXACTLY why the ink got that name -- it was supposed to be the color of Harold's car in the movie.  At least that's what Nathan Tardiff told me at the Noodler's table a few years ago at the Commonwealth Pen Show.

It's been years since I saw the movie, so I don't remember the actual color of the car at this point.  But you're not missing much on the ink -- unless you LIKE neon bright bilious yellow-greens....  :sick:

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Now that is  preverse (I love writing that with r and e reversed). One reason for me to get that ink too. But... as I recall (having seen that movie 10 times), his hearse (which he re-built himself) -- a very sporty Jaguar XK-E -- was in fact blue-black or black or a very dark blue, in no way any neon yellow or green.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

12 hours ago, IlikeInksandIcannotlie said:

I tend to be drawn to colours described as Midnight Blue. I remain disappointed.

Hmmm...what are you looking for in your Midnite Blue? 

Maybe 'we' can help you find it! 

Ever notice that all the instruments looking for signs of intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth? 

~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~

If I said I'll fix it, I will. There's no need to remind me every six months. 

~ 

@lapisWell, it's been probably over 30 years since I've seen the movie, so I didn't remember one way or the other....  

There used to be a arthouse/second run movie theatre connected to one of the local colleges here in Pittsburgh, and my husband took me to see Harold and Maude about a year after we got married.  Sadly, the place no longer shows films, and only does stage productions put on by that college's theatre department.  But we saw some great movies there the first few years we were married.

Just looked up the movie but it doesn't seem to be available at the moment via any station we get on FIOS. :(  If the DVD player worked, I'd go online and see if I could order it.  One of these days we really need to replace the DVD player....  Although there are movies I have bought even then, just because they were so hard to get otherwise.  

edited for typos

I have been tempted, again and again, to buy inks named after authors I admire, but so far I have restrained myself.  Usually I look at the ink and ask myself if I would purchase it if named differently, and the answer is always no.  A lot of the LE Montblanc inks were named after authors I admire.

J. Herbin: Shogun

Wearengeul: A Watery Stare, Ink in Path,  For Whom the Bell Tolls

I know they're probably a bunch of others.  Either the colors are redundant with what I already like, or they're colors that I wouldn't use, or they're overpriced because of the name.

I keep trying to restrain myself from buying things because of how they are packaged, rather than their intrinsic qualities; it's a struggle.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

12 hours ago, InkyColors said:

I just saw Colorverse’s Tar Heel and love the bottle.

I was completely disappointed, what with all the Carolina Blue references around ["If God isn't a Tar Heels fan, why is the sky Carolina Blue?"]  I was really expecting a bright cerulean blue. But when it finally came out, the first sample swatches I saw looked 'dusty', like 50% cerulean + 50% whatever dirt they could scrape up off the floor or something.  So much so it kept me from buying a long-anticipated bottle. 

So here, I guess, we have a refusal because the ink didn't live up to its name.  

And oh, yeah - Guess we've both told (apart from the flag lol] where we're from, so, what part you call home?  

Ever notice that all the instruments looking for signs of intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth? 

~ 

Not so much because of the name (although that was part of it) as the design on the label (which really creeped me out), I did not buy Noodler's 1984.  

But just saw a scan of the color and now rethinking that....

30 minutes ago, Just J said:

I was completely disappointed, what with all the Carolina Blue references around ["If God isn't a Tar Heels fan, why is the sky Carolina Blue?"]  I was really expecting a bright cerulean blue. But when it finally came out, the first sample swatches I saw looked 'dusty', like 50% cerulean + 50% whatever dirt they could scrape up off the floor or something.  So much so it kept me from buying a long-anticipated bottle. 

So here, I guess, we have a refusal because the ink didn't live up to its name.  

And oh, yeah - Guess we've both told (apart from the flag lol] where we're from, so, what part you call home?  

I’m in the eastern part of the state, but spent some good years in Chapel Hill. They really did disappoint me with the color. I agree with you completely. 

@lapis  

1 hour ago, inkstainedruth said:

Well, it's been probably over 30 years since I've seen the movie, so I didn't remember one way or the other....

When I first sw the movie I was closer to Harold's age, now it's Maude!

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

8 minutes ago, OCArt said:

When I first sw the movie I was closer to Harold's age, now it's Maude!

Well, I don't think I'm to Maude's age yet.... But was definitely a lot closer in age to Harold's (although older than he was, I think) when I saw it....

3 hours ago, Just J said:

Hmmm...what are you looking for in your Midnite Blue? 

Maybe 'we' can help you find it! 

A deep dark blue, verging on blackness, but still recognizably blue, with good water resistance, and little smudging after drying.

Me, briefly: born & reared in FayetteNam, ran away from home & joined Marines, did Nam, Winston Salem a couple years & back to F-ville, Sanford a year, Kinston 50+ years, retired, & near Charlotte for past 3. 

Back to the future: Swatches I've seen more recently do look magnitudes better - I've been tempted to get at least a sample if I can find. Also, noted ours is named Tar Heel, not the state itself. I can look of course, but did they do that on any other state(s)? 

(Just wondering out loud. lol ) 

~ 

14 hours ago, IlikeInksandIcannotlie said:

A deep dark blue, verging on blackness, but still recognizably blue, with good water resistance, and little smudging after drying.

Hmmm..sounds like something in the Indigo family. Any number of other hues I could use for mixing something up if it was paint, but that's frowned upon in this game!   

Not to endorse the company, but more for your convenience, Goulet's has a Water Resistant comparison section: 

https://www.gouletpens.com/collections/water-resistant-inks 

I see several that might fit your bill. Let us know if you find something. 

~ 

I bought a sample of Colorverse's Saturn V just because of the name.  That rocket recalls a moment where we (incorrectly) thought we could do anything if we just up and decided to do it.  Unfortunately, I found the ink too dry and bright blue for my tastes.

"Nothing is new under the sun!  Even the thing of which we say, “See, this is new!” has already existed in the ages that preceded us." Ecclesiastes

I think of two purchased paints due to the name and of course the curiosity to know them.
Diamine Red Dragon, for me being a fan of the book by Thomas Harris.
Diamine Philip: Because this is the name of my son who is now 7 years old and has been interested in fountain pens.
Both inks are complex and impress with their versatility and ability to change profoundly due to variations in nibs, paper and lighting.
Best Regards.

The only ink I bought for it’s name (although I did like the color as well) is PEN BBS Snow Ending at Midnight, a lovely purple-black with a very small amount of silver shimmer.  It’s my favorite name for an ink as well, so evocative of a dark winter night with sparkling snow crystals.