Inks you've bought (or NOT), based almost solely on its name? And WHY!

Just J

Question arose from reactions in another thread,  & I'm certainly guilty so, thought it'd be a fun topic. 

And while writing it out, thought occurred that also, some names surely turned off some shoppers, so let's include those also. 

I'll start with a kinda 'warm' one, perhaps a bit offbeat as I haven't seen it discussed much: 

Black Swans In English Roses

because everyone else was buying, reviewing & going kinda gaga over the Australian Roses version. 

& remember, while you're shopping if either happens, come straight here & get it down so you won't forget & later start racking your brain trying to recall the details, plus, keep the thread going!! 

Ever notice that all the instruments looking for signs of intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth? 

~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~

If I said I'll fix it, I will. There's no need to remind me every six months. 

~ 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Just J

• inkstainedruth

• amberleadavis

• InkyColors

Diamine's Eclipse. Sure, it had to be almost black or very very dark blue but I wanted to see what other tones (if any) might be hinted in.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

What a co-inky-dink!  I recently bought [in fact - it's sitting right by my elbow!] a bottle of Lapis Lazuli, based on my love of the Ultramarine watercolor it's used in making. [Another secret pastime of mine.] 'Nature`s Bluest of Blues' has long been one of my faves anyway - so why not get the ink too?

Ever notice that all the instruments looking for signs of intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth? 

~ 

Any ink with the word "sapphire" has my instant attention.

I love sapphires and blue is my favourite colour, so it's kind of instant love  based on name alone.

Otherwise, anything with names based on: people (real or literary figures), flowers, astronomy/space, a kind of romanticism (Bungubox's "June bride", which is too pale for me, or the generally lovely named Japanese inks, which are kinda romantic and well-thought out), also era-references (e.g. Bungubox's "Dandyism", as it reminded me instantly of the 18th/19th century, Diamine's "Tudor Blue"), witches (!! love witches), fairytales, the sea...

When it comes to buying though, I'm very restrained and don't hunt down inks, which are difficult to get (I would do so for pens, though, pens are kind of forever, inks not so much, so it's not worth the effort and hassle) or which are colours I don't typically use (meaning anything non-black or non-blue is never used and therefore never bought and with blue inks I used to use the whole spectrum, but have changed to using only medium and dark blues, the blues can't be retina searing and should be nicely legible).

Bought due to name:

Ok, alphabetically -

ACME Dracula.  Supposedly a blood red, well what else would it be? But I haven't opened it yet so it's unconfirmed.

Anderillium American Goldfinch Yellow.  We have a lot if finches here, multiple feeders bring them in, including yellow-breasted ones.  I can confirm this ink is a bright yellow.

Inkebara Soft Tones Air.  Curious as to what color air is.  Here it's been interpreted as a pale blue.

Organics Studio Unicorn Blood.  For crazy ink names I thought this one was off the scale at the time.  No fan of shimmer it's never been opened.

Pilot Iroshizuku Murazaki Shikibu.  Just rolls off the tongue and a lot more fun saying it instead of "grape."

Private Reserve Chocolat.  Yes it's brown and I can confirm that it does NOT taste like its name.

NOT BOUGHT

One that comes to mind is Noodlers Harolds Hearse. Maybe if the label didn't have a hearse but the name is just too morbid.

In general, any ink named as "Blue Black" is an automatic skip.

@Just J what are your thoughts on Klein Blue?

Inks I’ve bought because of the name, hmmm… I have to admit first of all that I don’t normally go to a lot of trouble to research an ink, so I tend to buy it for whatever color the manufacturer says it is and a bit of what it looks like on their swatches. Some have been disappointing; some have pleasantly surprised.

But bought specifically because of the name, the ones that come to mind are:

1. FWP Candy Marsala, as I mentioned in the other thread, because it sounds delicious but is a bit disappointing as a murky dull dark red/burgundy/maroon?. Not horrible, especially in a stub on creme paper, but not the delicious color I was imagining.

2. Laban Aphrodite - thought it would be a wonderful ‘sexy’ pink but I don’t really like dusty rose tints, so also not a favorite.

3. MB Elixir Vetiver - paid the crazy price because vetiver is one of my absolute favorite perfume ingredients and it does indeed smell fantastic. It’s just too bad the color is a bit too light green, and writing a long letter definitely goes to your head (it’s quite strong!). Otherwise I would be using it every day!

4. Venvstas Fumo di Londra because I forgot my Italian lessons and thought it meant London Fog (instead of smoke). Turns out it’s named after a type of granite. Lovely grey color with some shading!

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

Currently attempting to collect the history of Diplomat pens.

@Just J

Suggested this topic and  @inkstainedruth @DvdRiet

admitted to having made such purchases.

So, what inks did you buy for the name AND did you like it?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Pilot Iroshizuku Kosumosu, Tsutsuji, Momiji, and Tsuyu-kusa (as well as Yama-budo, Ku-jaku, Fuyu-syogun, and Shin-kai) because… Iroshizuku. I already had the other 16 out of Iroshizuku's regular line-up of 24 ink colours at the time from much earlier on, back when 15ml bottles weren't available; so, when I saw that the remaining colours could be ordered in smaller bottles at a reasonable price including postage from a Japanese seller (on the now-defunct Rakuten Global Market), I didn't hesitate too much to order them to complete my ‘collection’ of Iroshizuku inks, even though those colours didn't make the first cut (or even the second cut) five years prior. I had no use for pink or magenta ink, and thought Iroshizuku's red and blue inks look quite undistinguished and uninspiring.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I bought all of Organics Studio's sepia inks because of the cuttlefish. I love Join or Die. Foggy Bottom was ok, a little smeary. Khaki too light to use.

Diamine/Cult Pens “A Dip in the Pool and A Toe in the Ocean”

the verdict is still out on these, but they absolutely did NOT work well in my vintage 51. Have my first Narwhal on the way so will see how they do in a modern pen.

1 hour ago, lgsoltek said:

This: 

I've missed you!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Not sure if I bought any ink just for its name.

But I definitely bought quite a few mainly for their name.

And many more are on my wish list at least partly for their name.

Works the other way around too - I've also refrained from buying some inks because I dislike their name.

Never have and I can't imagine I ever will. But, if for some unanticipated reason I did, these would be the top candidates, both from Straits Pen:

• Literally the only serious colour in the entire lineup

• (bleep) Sepia [let's see if that gets by the automated censor]

It certainly doesn't hurt that they look like they might be colors I would find attractive.

EDIT: Since the 2nd ink name didn't get by the automated censor, here's an approximation: $hitty Sepia

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

12 hours ago, I-am-not-really-here said:

@Just J what are your thoughts on Klein Blue?

@IANRH -- Interesting. Not familiar with him nor his methods; first time I've seen the term actually. A quick search however reveals Klein depends pretty much on Ultramarines, seemingly moreso from the texture produced by really 'piling it on'. 

The mixture of UM & the siennas can produce extraordinarily beautiful effects. 

~ 

I tend to be drawn to colours described as Midnight Blue. I remain disappointed.

I just saw Colorverse’s Tar Heel and love the bottle. The ink is too unsaturated for me but I’m tempted to buy it just for the name and artwork on the bottle!