Homage to M915 Hunting

Carrau

Sometime ago, I spotted the Pelikan M915 Hunting limited edition pen on the Pelikan’s Perch website, and although I usually eschew excessive ornamentation, I found it a highly appealing fountain pen.  Reading on through the blogpost, however, I was disappointed to hear about the problems with the durability of its lacquered surface when the pen gets any use.  Not wanting an expensive “ museum piece” I wouldn’t be able to use regularly, I decided I could admire pictures of it, if looking was all I’d be able to do.  

Last Winter, however, I came across a custom pen (“Ardennes”) created by Belgian pen maker Andy Deschacht, with interesting silver work overlaid on the pen.  The Pelikan 915 Hunting came to mind, and I contacted Andy to see if it was possible to recreate something akin to the 915 but more durable, and with personal modifications.  Three months later, the pen was completed, and I received it this last week, and couldn’t be more pleased.  With Andy’s permission, I am linking to his professional photographs of the pen, which show it off better than my amateurish attempts, which follow, showing some of the detail of his fine work.  A bonus for me, was a video he and his wife made while the pen was being made, showing/documenting the entire process of the pen’s construction, which I found almost as enjoyable as the pen.

It has a Pelikan 805 BB nib modified to a stub, and holds about 2ml of ink.  Filled, it weighs 35g, approximately 2g more than a filled MB 149 by my own measurements, and less than a filled Diplomat Excellence (46g).  The piston is smooth, the pen is well balanced, and does not post.  As usual, pictures do not do justice to the artisanship and materials.  The detail silver work depicts a stag/elk, a setter flushing pheasant, a Labrador eyeing ducks flying overhead, mountains in the background, with traditional oak leaves and acorns on the bands, and a pheasant tail feather on the clip. The silverwork is flush with the piston knob.  The barrel and cap were made from Alumilite Lava Lamp Forest Enchantment.  Working with Andy was a delight from start to finish, and I can’t recommend him more highly.

Links to Andy’s photos/video:

https://youtu.be/E7bW-rzCGXg

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/366952-das-jägerstück/

large.1085094871_DeschachtJgerstck1.jpg.ad040f3e1624f4e1074776f985cab4ec.jpglarge.655647852_DeschachtJgerstck2.jpg.54d51508dc879f3b3335fcd2d9cf34f8.jpglarge.1127063029_DeschachtJgerstck3.jpg.a5101be5edba9e296b4333212d29f0ae.jpglarge.858359217_DeschachtJgerstck4.jpg.878db3f54d5e60d78013cdb83fbf2870.jpglarge.644910980_DeschachtJgerstck5.jpg.f3494d9c7e888d1763830bdfb95c9c89.jpglarge.438899173_DeschachtJgerstck6.jpg.3080174bdea7f950ffe7941098125b4e.jpglarge.1245517210_DeschachtJgerstck7.jpg.5d06e89bc28a8373fa4ee87db5aba9ca.jpglarge.1857540575_DeschachtJgerstck8.jpg.fc25e945ad7f1b5b66a03c256eb628a5.jpglarge.231942386_DeschachtJgerstck9.jpg.deb133ca2071554e20d7e59b9d47a000.jpglarge.621690069_DeschachtJgerstck11.jpg.86f9bac977333032aeac2e9877a7753e.jpglarge.464804385_DeschachtJgerstck10.jpg.f492f51e98d89ad7002957fb993d3a62.jpglarge.1001094265_915Hunting-MB149comp.jpg.e6af7c963f27c5dae221f70ae88266e8.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Carrau

• Bo Bo Olson

• Ceilidh

• GWT1

Magnificent, that is a keeper. I cannot imagine all the work in casting out the hunting scene and the handwork on the clip is really cool. Bravo! 

This pen is one of the prettiest I have ever seen in my life.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Thank you Ceilidh, Peroride, Amberlea, and Hans.  As delighted as I am with the pen, the collaboration with Andy was equally delightful and memorable.  Now that the pen is completed, I’m already missing the excitement of regular communication with him.  By the way Peroride, the silver on the barrel was a solid piece of silver, and Andy cut each of the figures by hand into that single piece.  You can see him doing this in the video.

Thank you for your kind words, jchch1950 and mallyman1.  Andy deserves high praise.

• 3 weeks later...

Yours is prettier than mine.

A while back I saw an odd green Toledo for a live auction. I ignored the 149, the Waterman Mann200, The Nobliese, the Cd'A and that wood looking pen, that I later found to be a Diplomat.

I looked only at that Toledo and the W.Germany 800. (I just knew I wanted a Toledo.....even if it was so odd, I'd never seen any one's picture of it. TOLEDO!!!!!!

It wasn't until I won the lot, that some nice poster told me it was a 915 Hunter in sterling silver....'94/3000.

DaYPoQV.jpg

Stolen from Pelikan Perch. In I take the worlds worst pictures.

Pelikan M915 Hunting

Now I read this....Now, Just Now!!!:crybaby:

My personal experience as well as that of a few others with first hand knowledge has been that the green enamel on the barrel can actually soften and dull with use.  Finger prints can be seen embossed into the finish and, with ongoing and regular use, the enamel can wear away completely, resulting in a marring of the pen’s overall appeal.  It is unfortunate then that this pen may be better suited as a show piece than a daily user.

Well after using it just twice, it sits....now I got to dig it out and make sure it's still near mint. Make sure I wipe all finger prints off.:(

All these pens were in a plastic bag, in I guess the widow tossed the boxes or the original owner....These pens are from '88-94, all 18 K nibs. So I think he passed shortly after buying the Hunter.***

Had there been boxes I couldn't have afforded that lot, nor would it have been offered as a lot but one or two boxed pens only at a time.

In the other plastic bag was the other two oblique black and gold W.Germany 800's the OB and OF.....plus others I don't recall. my mind was locked in Toledo and no place else.

That is a very beautiful pen of yours, and the clip is something special also.

***Unfortunately, One goes to live auctions to buy the Treasure of the Dead, or the unfortunates locked up with a live sentence in the Old Folks Prison.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

What kind of $$$ coin was that masterpiece? Would love to have something like that made! Does the master craftsman take orders or was it friend kinda thing??

thanks for any info!

That was the 1993 or 94 Toledo release.

This is made in the Pelikan factory like all Toledos.

I've not got a normal Toledo, in they were quite a bit over my normal limit....

At a live auction I only spent three times my limit on this.

DaYPoQV.jpg

I can't link you, but there is (perhaps) on Youtube, a vid of some Pelikan master craftsman making a normal Toledo.

I've seen it here on the com when some fine poster linked it.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

On 8/6/2022 at 8:21 PM, Bo Bo Olson said:

Yours is prettier than mine.

A while back I saw an odd green Toledo for a live auction. I ignored the 149, the Waterman Mann200, The Nobliese, the Cd'A and that wood looking pen, that I later found to be a Diplomat.

I looked only at that Toledo and the W.Germany 800. (I just knew I wanted a Toledo.....even if it was so odd, I'd never seen any one's picture of it. TOLEDO!!!!!!

It wasn't until I won the lot, that some nice poster told me it was a 915 Hunter in sterling silver....'94/3000.

DaYPoQV.jpg

Stolen from Pelikan Perch. In I take the worlds worst pictures.

Pelikan M915 Hunting

Now I read this....Now, Just Now!!!:crybaby:

My personal experience as well as that of a few others with first hand knowledge has been that the green enamel on the barrel can actually soften and dull with use.  Finger prints can be seen embossed into the finish and, with ongoing and regular use, the enamel can wear away completely, resulting in a marring of the pen’s overall appeal.  It is unfortunate then that this pen may be better suited as a show piece than a daily user.

Well after using it just twice, it sits....now I got to dig it out and make sure it's still near mint. Make sure I wipe all finger prints off.:(

All these pens were in a plastic bag, in I guess the widow tossed the boxes or the original owner....These pens are from '88-94, all 18 K nibs. So I think he passed shortly after buying the Hunter.***

Had there been boxes I couldn't have afforded that lot, nor would it have been offered as a lot but one or two boxed pens only at a time.

In the other plastic bag was the other two oblique black and gold W.Germany 800's the OB and OF.....plus others I don't recall. my mind was locked in Toledo and no place else.

That is a very beautiful pen of yours, and the clip is something special also.

***Unfortunately, One goes to live auctions to buy the Treasure of the Dead, or the unfortunates locked up with a live sentence in the Old Folks Prison.

Thanks Bo Bo. I’m glad I found that Pelikan’s Perch article, and happily saw one of Andy Deschacht’s pens displayed on the Marketplace forum here.

3 hours ago, GWT1 said:

What kind of $$$ coin was that masterpiece? Would love to have something like that made! Does the master craftsman take orders or was it friend kinda thing??

thanks for any info!

Let’s say the cost was commensurate with the original at today’s market prices. The maker is Andy Deschacht in Belgium, and his website is linked below.  I can’t say enough about how much I enjoyed the collaborative process with Andy.  The whole process took about three months, give or take, from working together on the design, selecting materials, adjusting the elements as we went along.  We communicated by email several times weekly, with Andy supplying photos and videos of his work as we moved through the production (which he then used to produce a video of the process).  It’s difficult to imagine having anything custom made that could have been a better or more completely satisfying experience.  Receiving the pen was almost anticlimactic, as I enjoyed working with him and looked forward to our communications.  Message me if you’d like more info.

https://www.garcia-deschacht.com/