Why are Sailor nibs so special?

Paul_LZ

15 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

That's why I questioned what the O.P. takes “special” to mean. Special does not imply that the, or every, individual user (which could be you) will like or enjoy it.

Probably somebody is going to think you're being pedantic, but that's exactly what went through my head, too.

For what it's worth, while I do like Sailor nibs, I find that most of my pens are Pilot, and that's mostly what I write with.  There's always something non-Pilot in my EDC rotation.  Perhaps Pilots don't stand out to me because they're my baseline by which others are measured.  If all my pens were Sailor then a Pilot might, to me, seem to have that elusive specialness.  But even then I would have to recognize that Sailor fans seem to be more vocal about their nibs.

Sailor's pencil-like feedback is something I like, but it's the relatively easy to understand part.  @langere mentioned "the precision with which I can write".  It's not the first time I have heard "precise" used with how Sailor nibs feel when you're writing, and I have to agree with that part.  I have no idea what might be behind that mechanically, how that might work, or be created, eludes me.  Unless it's just a subconscious interpretation of that pencil-like feel.

It's been my experience that the better(*) nibs from Platinum, Pilot, and Sailor each have a distinctive brand-specific feel.  Sailor's feel seems to more frequently illicit "Ooohs" and "Ahhhs" from people than the others.  I think the specialness is that the Sailor "house feel" is different enough from others that it gets more of a response.  If you like it fine, if you don't that's fine too; that has nothing to do with what sets them apart.

Oh, and for what it's worth, Platinum nibs are special too:  too hard, too smooth, too lifeless.  Now excuse me while I run and duck for cover. 🙂

(*) I hate to conflate "gold" with "better" nibs.  They're mostly gold, but I don't think there's a causal relationship.  I think the better nibs are better because they get more love and attention at the factory.  But conflating "better" and "gold" is a convenient handwave.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul_LZ

• awa54

• Just J

• Olya

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, XYZZY said:

(*) I hate to conflate "gold" with "better" nibs.  They're mostly gold, but I don't think there's a causal relationship.  I think the better nibs are better because they get more love and attention at the factory.  But conflating "better" and "gold" is a convenient handwave.

Although this is going off-topic, but I'll mention it anyway: The steel Music and Zoom nibs I got to try were in no way worse than the gold nibs of the respective kind. Those steel nibs you may find in models like the Sailor Casual (link to Stilo e Stile, one of the shops where I found these: https://www.stiloestile.it/en/fountain-pens/entry-level/sailor-profit-casual-penna-stilografica-rossa).

13 hours ago, XYZZY said:

Oh, and for what it's worth, Platinum nibs are special too:  too hard, too smooth, too lifeless.  Now excuse me while I run and duck for cover. 🙂

I will run and duck with you as I second this opinion and, reluctantly and unhappily, might even extend it to some Nakaya nibs too...

Sailor EF nibs are my go-to for drawing pens. I have two Sailor Pro Gear II's, two Taccia's (both of which use Sailor EF nibs with slightly higher wetness) and one Cross Peerless 125 with a very smooth and wet Sailor F nib. I find the nibs on the Pro Gear II's to put down a very fine line, but they do occasionally skip while cross-hatching at speed. The Taccia-modified Sailor nibs are basically perfect but a little broader than equivalent EFs in Sailor's own pens. The Cross 125 nib is also absolutely wonderful for certain kinds of drawing, and also for writing. 

Warrior DSC03678.jpeg

On 7/14/2022 at 6:24 AM, XYZZY said:

While I wouldn't describe Platinum nibs as “lifeless” myself, I sorta understand what you mean. To me, they're very clinical writing instruments to be used for — there's that word again — precise pen work outcomes, e.g. producing something intricate with needlepoint, and it takes skill to exert the requisite level of control for producing such outcomes, without consideration of enjoyment or exuberance. Whereas Sailor nibs are more conducive to precise control of the pen in the experience of writing, whether it is writing with exuberance, or depositing very fine points and lines on paper with very little tolerance for error.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

All my Sailor nibs have been flawless out of the box (from EF through B in 14K, 18K and 21K). Some exhibit the 'classic' Sailor feedback. The exception is my Sailor KOP Demonstrator broad nib, writes like hot butter on glass, which I like and certainly lays down ink but might not be to everyone's taste.

2 hours ago, Lordarka said:

Sailor EF nibs are my go-to for drawing pens. I have two Sailor Pro Gear II's, two Taccia's (both of which use Sailor EF nibs with slightly higher wetness) and one Cross Peerless 125 with a very smooth and wet Sailor F nib. I find the nibs on the Pro Gear II's to put down a very fine line, but they do occasionally skip while cross-hatching at speed. The Taccia-modified Sailor nibs are basically perfect but a little broader than equivalent EFs in Sailor's own pens. The Cross 125 nib is also absolutely wonderful for certain kinds of drawing, and also for writing. 

Warrior DSC03678.jpeg

Beautiful!

On 7/13/2022 at 4:38 PM, JulieParadise said:

Although this is going off-topic, but I'll mention it anyway: The steel Music and Zoom nibs I got to try were in no way worse than the gold nibs of the respective kind. Those steel nibs you may find in models like the Sailor Casual (link to Stilo e Stile, one of the shops where I found these: https://www.stiloestile.it/en/fountain-pens/entry-level/sailor-profit-casual-penna-stilografica-rossa).

I just bought one of those!  Don't have any music nibs & been wanting to try one - knowing Sailors rep for good ones won me over.

Getting the red with gold furniture, should be here by end-of-month.  Already getting excited! [Whee!] ~8》 

Ever notice that all the instruments looking for signs of intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth? 

~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~

If I said I'll fix it, I will. There's no need to remind me every six months. 

~ 

50 minutes ago, Just J said:

I just bought one of those!  Don't have any music nibs & been wanting to try one - knowing Sailors rep for good ones won me over.

Getting the red with gold furniture, should be here by end-of-month.  Already getting excited! [Whee!] ~8》 

So am I, expecting my Sialkot 1911s with an F nib before mid August😊

10 hours ago, Just J said:

NIce! Let us know what you think of it once it's with you! 😉

On 7/17/2022 at 5:03 AM, JulieParadise said:

Wow, that is beautiful! 

On 7/17/2022 at 4:17 AM, Paul_LZ said:

Beautiful!

Thank you! 

On 7/17/2022 at 4:35 AM, Lordarka said:

Sailor EF nibs are my go-to for drawing pens.

Nice indeed (the drawing)!

Wondering if your EF is the Japanese or 'Other' cut? 

Ever notice that all the instruments looking for signs of intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth? 

~ 

On 7/13/2022 at 4:38 PM, JulieParadise said:

in spite of being available in only one width, the nibs in Profit Jr./Compass and Lecoule are universally excellent in my experience, as are the feeds. they're truly some of the best budget priced pens available today!

I also have a number of modern mid-level Sailor pens with steel nibs (including zoom and music), I actually find the steel nibs to be smoother and therefore closer to my page feel ideal (grew up on vintage Sheaffer's and love Pilot) than the gold nibs. 

the current 1911/Pro Gear gold nibs' are definitely not my favorite of all time, but I do enjoy them... that said, I wrestle with smoothing my small stable of Sailors, but haven't given in to the urge yet.

David-

So many restoration projects...

58 minutes ago, awa54 said:

I wrestle with smoothing my small stable of Sailors, but haven't given in to the urge yet.

I've been picking up a few cheap-o's to learn on; ordered 6 JH X159's for ~$4.50 ea in misc colors just yesterday, along with 3 #5 & 3 #6 JH nibs for experimentation.  

~ 

23 hours ago, Just J said:

Nice indeed (the drawing)!

Wondering if your EF is the Japanese or 'Other' cut? 

I actually don't know. My Sailor pens originate from Japan so I expect it's the former but can't be sure. 

1 hour ago, awa54 said:

in spite of being available in only one width, the nibs in Profit Jr./Compass and Lecoule are universally excellent in my experience, as are the feeds. they're truly some of the best budget priced pens available today!

I also have a number of modern mid-level Sailor pens with steel nibs (including zoom and music), I actually find the steel nibs to be smoother and therefore closer to my page feel ideal (grew up on vintage Sheaffer's and love Pilot) than the gold nibs. 

the current 1911/Pro Gear gold nibs' are definitely not my favorite of all time, but I do enjoy them... that said, I wrestle with smoothing my small stable of Sailors, but haven't given in to the urge yet.

Thanks for the feedback!